Windows 10: Cannot modify/save hosts file

Discus and support Cannot modify/save hosts file in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I give up. I have tried everything. I set all the permissions to "Allow" and I don't even remember the default settings of that. I have tried taking... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/whiskeyconnoisseur19, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Cannot modify/save hosts file

I give up. I have tried everything. I set all the permissions to "Allow" and I don't even remember the default settings of that. I have tried taking ownership of the file. I have tried saving it on my desktop with a different name and copying it back into the etc folder (would get error that says "file is being used by another process" or something).

I just got this laptop and I really like it. But I am so so close to smashing it.

Please help.

submitted by /u/whiskeyconnoisseur19
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/whiskeyconnoisseur19, Sep 12, 2020
  2. phrab Win User

Modify & save hosts file

I have 2 machines: Win10 & WinXP. For some reason, my hosts file on my Win10 machine listed Windows 10 Help Forums as 127.0.0.1. I don't know how this happened & I have not been able to delete that entry & save the hosts file in Windows/Drivers/etc.

How can I give myself (the administrator) permission to access the file & to save it in the etc. folder?
    Is there a utility that will give me control over the hosts file?

Thank you in advance!

phrab, Sep 12, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Modify & save hosts file

Bluelife Hosts Editor is convenient. Easy to find. Easy to use. Dedicated, with a few extra features.
    Checkboxes let you enable and disable entries. It deals with permissions issues. Easy.

Cannot modify/save hosts file [​IMG]

dalchina, Sep 12, 2020
  4. Asi11 Win User

Cannot modify/save hosts file

think my hosts file got modified

like the title indicate' my AV found a modified host and it makes my internet to work slowly, I read in support forum that there is a solution by resetting the host file by opening notepad and put a text inside it then save the notepad and replace it with
    the current host file. I want to know if I do so and resetting the host file, what changes will happen to my PC? I would need to sign in to all my websites again? or it will just reset without changing much?

this is the article that I found, maybe it will help you to understand better. hope it will help.

"

To reset the Hosts file back to the default, follow these steps:

1. Open Notepad. To do this, search for “Notepad” using
      Cortana, and then tap or click the Notepad icon.
    2. Copy the following text, and then paste the text into the file:

1. Close Notepad.
    2. Search for
      %WinDir%\System32\Drivers\Etc
      using Cortana, and then select the
      File folder icon.
    3. Tap and hold or right-click the Hosts file, select
      Rename, and then rename the file as "Hosts.old".
    4. Copy or move the Hosts file that you created in step 3 from the desktop to the
      %WinDir%\System32\Drivers\Etc folder. If you are prompted to
      enter an administrator password, select
      Continue

Asi11, Sep 12, 2020
Thema:

Cannot modify/save hosts file

1. Cannot modify/save hosts file - Similar Threads - Cannot modify save

2. Cannot modify startup / Cannot save the task: error 0x0x80070057

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot modify startup / Cannot save the task: error 0x0x80070057: Hi, been using program 'Exitlag' , and it was starting well on PC boot.When I updated to Win11 22h2 however, this program would not start on logon.methods Ive tried:adding to shell:startupon/off admin previlagescreating scheduled tasknone would work, and every other programs...
  3. Cannot modify startup / Cannot save the task: error 0x0x80070057

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot modify startup / Cannot save the task: error 0x0x80070057: Hi, been using program 'Exitlag' , and it was starting well on PC boot.When I updated to Win11 22h2 however, this program would not start on logon.methods Ive tried:adding to shell:startupon/off admin previlagescreating scheduled tasknone would work, and every other programs...
  4. Cannot save file host

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot save file host: I open file host by "run as administrator" then I add some lines to block ads on viber desktop or to get access to some web sites which have been blocked on my machine....when I save it will give this [img] and if I click yes, it will give this [img] Even I open file host...
  5. Editing and saving the Hosts file...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Editing and saving the Hosts file...: PS i need help... I am able to edit the hosts file in "etc" folder but when i save it wants to replace the hosts file and save the file as a notepad document. I had ownership before, but i removed it hoping that will solve the issue but it didn't. What is worse is that i...
  6. Cannot save file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot save file: Why can I not save from Open Office, Thunderbird or Wordperfect but I can from Notepad or Wordpad, in Windows 10 Pro? The application freezes or crashes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-save-file/2351e2cf-b88d-4611-b741-602093be6f40
  7. Cannot search for files by date modified.

Cannot search for files by date modified.: There are not search options in Windows 10. I cannot find where to select search by date modified: xx/xx/xxxx https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-search-for-files-by-date-modified/8975c3ad-ccd7-43d3-96f7-50aed8abaf3b
  8. Modify "Save As" Choices?

Modify "Save As" Choices?: "Save As" offers: Quick access Desktop Libraries This PC Network However, I find myself frequently navigating from This PC down to my home directory. The main question I have is: "How can I put my home directory in this list or at least in Libraries or Quick...
  9. think my hosts file got modified

think my hosts file got modified: like the title indicate' my AV found a modified host and it makes my internet to work slowly, I read in support forum that there is a solution by resetting the host file by opening notepad and put a text inside it then save the notepad and replace it with the current host...
  10. Modify & save hosts file

Modify & save hosts file: I have 2 machines: Win10 & WinXP. For some reason, my hosts file on my Win10 machine listed Windows 10 Help Forums as 127.0.0.1. I don't know how this happened & I have not been able to delete that entry & save the hosts file in Windows/Drivers/etc. How can I give myself...