Windows 10: Cannot move/copy folders from External HDD to External HDD.

Discus and support Cannot move/copy folders from External HDD to External HDD. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] After starting the move/copy of the given folder, the explorer starts calculating but instead of starting the process, quickly completes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/JanosMille, Aug 26, 2022.

1. Cannot move/copy folders from External HDD to External HDD.

Cannot move/copy folders from External HDD to External HDD. EvJKtgO_s-KDS90E5a-c9edjy0z6traIyWujAul_8_c.jpg

After starting the move/copy of the given folder, the explorer starts calculating but instead of starting the process, quickly completes (animates 0% to 100% complete) but the folder did not get moved or copied. Happens when trying to move/copy folders larger then ~10Gb
    Both external drives are NTFS:
    - To: Seagate Expansion Desktop (6TB)
    Is there any way I can move the files I want without moving it in small patches?

https://preview.redd.it/bc6hksxyx0k...bp&s=fc9dd1e7466d20b49b955790d72021f28900bd08

submitted by /u/JanosMille
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/JanosMille, Aug 26, 2022
  2. Nicas__ Win User

External HDD error while copying

Hi!

I just bought a new external HDD, to make a second copy of everything I have in my PC.

First, I tried to copy folders from a HDD to the other, but everytime it would crash 30 seconds after.

I tried to copy the files from the HDD back into the PC (where they were originally from) but I got the warning that the files might be harmful for the computer

What can I do?

Nicas__, Aug 26, 2022
  3. Chasbob Win User
    Access to files on external HDD

I recently bought a new Windows 10 computer. I already have an external HDD with my photos on. To migrate my other data (e.g. Office docs etc) from the C: drive on my old XP computer I copied the relevant folders to the external HDD. I intend to copy this
    data to an internal HDD on my new computer, but before doing so I am deleting files that I no longer require. I am signed in with an administrator account on my new computer, but every time I try to delete or move a file or folder on the external HDD, a dialog
    box pops up asking for administrator permission. Clicking 'Yes' enables me to delete or move the file/folder, but this is clearly laborious. Inspecting the properties of files/folders on the external HDD, I see that every file and folder has a blue/yellow
    shield against Rename and Delete.

Is there a way that that I can simply update the permissions on all files/folders on the external HDD to give full access to my administrator account, so that I can move/delete files without needing to give permission every time.

Note - At the end of the day I want to move the Office docs etc to an internal HDD on my new computer but leave the photos on the external HDD. But I want my administrator account to have full access to both types of file.

Chasbob, Aug 26, 2022
  4. dermy Win User

Cannot move/copy folders from External HDD to External HDD.

External HDDs

Hi i had a seagate freeagent (external) which stopped working so i bought another enclosure and the hdd kept disconnecting/reconnecting in windows 8.1, so i boht another enclosure and also the same thing. Iv tried a different hdd and all hdds work perfectly when plugged directly into sata ports on the board, are there any other steps i can try or do you think iv just been unlucky with enclosures?

dermy, Aug 26, 2022
Thema:

Cannot move/copy folders from External HDD to External HDD.

1. Cannot move/copy folders from External HDD to External HDD. - Similar Threads - Cannot move copy

2. Bugged folder on external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bugged folder on external HDD: One of my folders on my external HDD randomly got the 'hidden' property. When I noticed this and tried to change it, I got an error saying the parameter is incorrect. I then cut and paste all my files in the folder into another one. When attempting to delete the old empty...
  3. Bugged folder on external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bugged folder on external HDD: One of my folders on my external HDD randomly got the 'hidden' property. When I noticed this and tried to change it, I got an error saying the parameter is incorrect. I then cut and paste all my files in the folder into another one. When attempting to delete the old empty...
  4. Cannot move or copy large-size folders from external HHD to external HDD

in Windows 10 News
    Cannot move or copy large-size folders from external HHD to external HDD: [ATTACH]If you cannot move or copy large-size folders from one external HHD to another external HDD, then this post will help resolve the problem. Moving a large size file or a huge folder is not uncommon. Most users always do it, including moving the photo collection,...
  5. External HDD error while copying

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HDD error while copying: Hi!I just bought a new external HDD, to make a second copy of everything I have in my PC. First, I tried to copy folders from a HDD to the other, but everytime it would crash 30 seconds after.I tried to copy the files from the HDD back into the PC where they were originally...
  6. move data to external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    move data to external HDD: I have very limited memory in my laptop so I connected an external HDD. However I am unable to transfer much to it to free up internal storage. It says error 0x80070780, what are my options? thank you!...
  7. Cannot copy files to external HDD or internal spare HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot copy files to external HDD or internal spare HDD: Hello Everyone, I cannot copy files to any external HDD. I have also added a spare internal HDD to my HP pavilion 15 gaming laptop for extra storage and cannot copy files to this either. I have tried two external HDDs and they are two different brands so I am assuming this...
  8. BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD: Long story short, I've purchased a 5TB WD Mypassport USB C HDD to replace my 4tb wd my passport and I'm usding syncback to copy over about 2.8TB of backups and what not Twice now I've had it crash while running. I've come back to it and found it has restarted. found the...
  9. External HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD: Hello, I recently used the Media Creation tool to reinstall windows on my system, and the drive was set to 31.9GB instead of the original size 1TB. I fixed that issue, by extending the volume. anyway, if I format it, it doesn't show up in This PC. so I had to create a...
  10. Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, I have an external HDD of 465 GB and I have 360 GB of space. Please tell me how I can quickly copy files to my internal HDD, how to download speed (move), or if you know any program for this or changes to Quick Move Registry. I mention that I tried...