Windows 10: Cannot move license from remove device

Discus and support Cannot move license from remove device in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm setting up a new PC and want to move my Win10 digital license from the old PC.I had previously linked my old PC to Microsoft account, and for some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by mics_582, Jul 14, 2021.

1. mics_582 Win User

Cannot move license from remove device

I'm setting up a new PC and want to move my Win10 digital license from the old PC.I had previously linked my old PC to Microsoft account, and for some reason thought that I needed to remove that PC from devices list before activating my new PC. And now I cannot activate new PC by selecting the option about hardware change: it shows the empty list of current machines. So I cannot select it to move the license.And I also cannot re-add the old PC to Microsoft account, even though it's logged on and linked to Microsoft, but still not showing in the device list.How can I fix my situation?I will

:)

mics_582, Jul 14, 2021

2. Remove Devices

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while removing the device from your Microsoft account as it keeps popping back after removing.

It could be possible that the device was using OneDrive with the same Microsoft account and that might be the reason you are able to see the device listed under your profile. I would suggest you to remove the device from OneDrive
    and see if that helps.

You can follow the steps to remove the device from OneDrive.

1. Login to
      https://onedrive.live.com
    2. Now on the left hand pane click on PC’s.
    3. Now click on the devices that are listed under PC’s and on the right hand side click on
      Remove PC.

If the issue persists, please get back to us with the results of the troubleshooting steps to assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jul 14, 2021
  3. Vesao Win User
    Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Jul 14, 2021
  4. Cannot move license from remove device

How to permanently remove laptop device from my Microsoft account

At this location Add a device to your Microsoft account I found these instructions:

If you don't use a device but it still appears in your devices list, here's how to remove it:

• Go to account.microsoft.com/devices, sign in, and find the device you want to remove.
    • Select Show details to see info for that device.
    • Under your device's name, select More actions > Remove.
    • Review your device details, select the check box, I'm ready to remove this device, then select Remove.

I successfully completed Steps 1 and 2 but could not find Step 3 -
    Under your device's name, select More actions > Remove

So it seems that these instructions no longer apply.

I want to remove this laptop from my account because I no longer have it.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Frank.White, Jul 14, 2021
Thema:

Cannot move license from remove device

1. Cannot move license from remove device - Similar Threads - Cannot move license

2. Cannot remove device from my school account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot remove device from my school account: Hello,Recently I had an issue with my laptop so I switched over to a friends for a few days. I am a University student so I have been given an account that is able to use the Office apps such as Outlook and whatnot. Anyway, this is an account that I use for strictly my...
  3. Cannot remove device from my school account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot remove device from my school account: Hello,Recently I had an issue with my laptop so I switched over to a friends for a few days. I am a University student so I have been given an account that is able to use the Office apps such as Outlook and whatnot. Anyway, this is an account that I use for strictly my...
  4. Cannot remove device from my school account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Moving Digital License to Another Device

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving Digital License to Another Device: so currently i'm in the process of trying to activate my Windows 10 Pro on my new PC. I have an activated Windows 10 on my laptop and I want to move it to my PC windows is retail, obtained from my uni, but when I input the product key from laptop into PC, it gave error...
  6. Move computer from Home license to Enterprise license

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move computer from Home license to Enterprise license: Just purchased a Surface Pro 7 with Home for a new user, and I want them to use the Enterprise license I assigned to him through the Office Portal. There's no way to add a Home computer to Azure AD directly. So I found another site to use a trial volume key to get the...
  7. Moving OEM license to a new device

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moving OEM license to a new device: Hello I have a question about transferring OEM licenses. Well, 2 years ago I bought a laptop with Windows 10 Pro pre-installed on board. However, I am now assembling a new computer and would like to transfer the OEM license with the key to the new equipment, of course...
  8. Cannot remove devices from Microsoft account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot remove devices from Microsoft account: There is no Remove Device for a laptop I no longer own. It was my son's and I have him on my family account. I removed him from the family account, but that didn't fix it. He's back on my Microsoft family account, but the laptop was wiped so I didn't think it would be...
  9. Remove icons from moving

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove icons from moving: I have installed windows 10 enterprise v1607 on my personal computer. When i assign an icon to a folder and move it from a drive to another one it appears with the original icon. What's the problem and the solution? [img] 65052
  10. Cannot remove device from Computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot remove device from Computer: Hello! I have a quick question for you. I have switched to iPhone a couple of weeks back. Previously, I had a Sony Xperia M4 Aqua. Before transferring all my stuff from one phone to another, I had both of the phones connected to the PC at once. The issue that I am facing now...