Windows 10: Cannot move "Pictures" Folder

Discus and support Cannot move "Pictures" Folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Let me first apologize for this long thread. I wanted to be accurate with the issue at hand. I have recently installed a new hard drive, with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Olszanski, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Olszanski Win User

Cannot move "Pictures" Folder

Let me first apologize for this long thread. I wanted to be accurate with the issue at hand. I have recently installed a new hard drive, with the intent of moving the "Pictures" folder to it, and using it primarily for this purpose given that my current disk is nearly full (due to photos). I have tried to move the folder by selecting it, opening properties -- location tab, and move. Current hard drive is "E:\Users\Christine\Pictures" and so I created a folder on my new G drive as "G:\Pictures", selected this folder and started the move. This moved 2 terabytes of data (the size of my original pictures folder), but when it completed, it stated that the operation failed, possibly because a file name had too many characters (I am sorry, I do not have the exact wording but that is close). It stated the operation was "Cancelled by the user", but that is not accurate -- I did not cancel it at all. When I look at my G drive, the drive appears to contain all the pictures I intended to move. At least, when comparing what is still in the original E drive location, and the G drive, the setup looks identical. I compared these by adjusting the screen size to look the same on two monitors, and scrolled through the folders, mirroring the action. Every row contains the same folder, and the apparent same images in each folder. When I open the "Properties" of each respective folder, I notice that they have the near the same size (2.19 TB each but 2,417,043,883,896 bytes on E and 2,417,043,877,748 bytes on G) . I did receive one message that a file could not be copied and I needed to skip this file. The E: drive Contains 699,744 Files, 29,285 Folders and G: contains 699,743 Files, 29,285 Folders, so I only lost one photo, apparently (I can live with that!). When I open each respective folder, the original E: drive folder still has a "locations" tab -- indicating that it can be moved, but the new G: drive folder does not have a "locations" tab. I suspect, then, that the computer still sees the E: drive folder as the primary pictures folder and would store new picture in it. Can I somehow "tell" the computer (perhaps registry edit), that the G: drive "Pictures" folder is the new default so that I can delete the E: Pictures folder? Thank you for looking at this and offering suggestions/solutions. I certainly appreciate it.

:)

Olszanski, Dec 10, 2018
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

3. Mohan B P Win User
    Picture User Folder vs Library Picture Folder / Add to User folder

Hi,

Form the issue description, I realize that you are trying to view your pictures in the default pictures library. To do so, you have to change the location of the folder that contains your pictures to the default pictures library folder.

To view your pictures in the default pictures library, I suggest you to follow the steps below.

• Right-click on the default Picture folder
      and click on Properties.

• Navigate to Location tab.

• Click on Move…. and select the folder that contains your pictures and click on
      Apply and then click on Ok.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us for further information on Windows. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan B P, Dec 10, 2018
  4. mrgeek Win User

Correct Directory Location For Pictures Folder

"Now Documents, Videos etc say file location is This PC. But Pictures file location is C:\Users\PeteyBoPetey\Pictures."

If we understand you correctly, the issue is that Pictures doesn't appear in the left panel under This PC. The correct location IS C:\Users\PeteyBoPetey\Pictures. This is only an issue of using Step 8 in the tutorial to add it back to the list. See if this screenshot is what you want to achieve- put Pictures folder back in list on L.

Cannot move "Pictures" Folder [​IMG]

mrgeek, Dec 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot move "Pictures" Folder - Similar Threads - Cannot move Pictures

2. Move Pictures folder out of my Downloads folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Pictures folder out of my Downloads folder: Somehow my "Pictures Folder" is now in my "Downloads Folder." When I delete my downloads, I also delete my pictures which I don't want to do!. How do I make these 2 separate folders again.?...
  3. Move Pictures folder out of my Downloads folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move Pictures folder out of my Downloads folder: Somehow my "Pictures Folder" is now in my "Downloads Folder." When I delete my downloads, I also delete my pictures which I don't want to do!. How do I make these 2 separate folders again.?...
  4. Move Pictures folder out of my Downloads folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...

Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...: I've lost the contents of the "Pictures" folder, and a folder named "Desktop" but the contents are in the folder named "Pictures" in my wife's account trying to move them from the C to D drive.To free up space on the C drive, I began moving my wife's default folders to the D...
  6. Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...: I've lost the contents of the "Pictures" folder, and a folder named "Desktop" but the contents are in the folder named "Pictures" in my wife's account trying to move them from the C to D drive.To free up space on the C drive, I began moving my wife's default folders to the D...
  7. Moving Locations of User Pictures and Desktop folders caused contents of Pictures folder to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Cannot move downloads folder

Cannot move downloads folder: Hello I just accidently changed my downloads folder to be my D drive and now I cannot change it to anything else or even restore the default location.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-move-downloads-folder/5c9890bd-11b6-4020-9907-7e8142a33197
  9. Moving pictures from pictures folder to photo app folder

Moving pictures from pictures folder to photo app folder: How do move a picture that is in a Folder in Pictures in my File Explorer to a folder in my Photos App. I can't drag it or copy and paste it, so is there some way to do this?...
  10. Moving the "Pictures" folder to a new drive

Moving the "Pictures" folder to a new drive: Hello, I recently installed a new harddrive and wanted to move the "Pictures", "Documents" etc. folders to that drive. I tried just going into the "Pictures" folders properties and selected my new drive without a folder so I moved it from "C:\users\account" to just the new...