Windows 10: Cannot move start menu tiles

Discus and support Cannot move start menu tiles in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I cannot move the tiles on the start menu. As soon as I try to click and drag one it immediately disapears, only to reappear in the original location... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Hazcrew, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Hazcrew Win User

Cannot move start menu tiles

I cannot move the tiles on the start menu.
    As soon as I try to click and drag one it immediately disapears, only to reappear in the original location when I reboot.
    Everything else seems to work with them, I can pin new apps (although I haven't worked out how to get them in a correct group) unpin and resize.
    Is there a lock on option on the start menu?
    My rig is Windows 10 64 with Nvidia GTX580.
    Thanks in advance for your help

:)

Hazcrew, Jan 2, 2016
  2. Ju-EunKim Win User

Not showing Start tiles in Windows 10 Home

Thank you.

Now the 'Show more tiles' is available, but I still cannot move around or add tiles in the start menu.

Is there something I can do for it?

Ju-EunKim, Jan 2, 2016
  3. message 'Some settings are managed by your organization' when trying to access settings in Windows 10

friends I have a problem on my windows 10 pc plz help! to solve it

I cannot change specific settings from start menu.

I cannot change the location of tiles, cannot add or remove tiles, cannot resize them, can't move them around.

These are settings which I can't change from settings menu in start.

1. Show more tiles option in Settings->Personalization->Start is turned gray i.e. can't be changed.

2. This is written on the top of the page. "Some settings are managed by your organization".

Only setting that i can access is to turn a live tile off by right click on that live tile. Right-click->more->turn live tile off. Nothing else available.

Original title: windows 10 start menu problem

Suman Sarkar., Jan 2, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you've no doubt searched for solutions- maybe someone here knows sthg specific.

I've spent time trying to address certain apparently very specific issues and the poster has then simply done an in-place upgrade repair install.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    The sledgehammer approach may end up being the quickest.. hopefully. If not, then the answer's some setting, or user profile corruption not corrected by the repair. SFC /Scannow is reported not to have worked, but you're welcome to try of course.

However, you may be lucky and someone here will have worked through this. A quick search of the forum didn't show an obvious solution- you may do better.

dalchina, Jan 3, 2016
  5. Hazcrew Win User
    Thanks for your reply, I've been putting off using an in-place upgrade or repair, everything else works perfectly and I've got the rig how I want it. Don't want to jeopardise that for what is a minor irritation, a job for later perhaps.

There seem to be a lot of reported issues re start menu tiles, unfortunately no direct solutions, that I can find, which might be relevant to this specific issue.

Hazcrew, Jan 4, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Mmm, I know how you feel - having done a couple of in-place repairs to solve what would seem to be a very focused issue, they are relatively painless apart from the time. However, always use disk imaging, update before any major change, remember to turn system restore back on afterwards, check your Wifi connection...

Having the option is an advantage of Win 10 with the periodic major upgrades meaning the number of outstanding updates is less than in, say, Win 7.

dalchina, Jan 4, 2016
  7. One thing a while back that could fix strange oddities like this was to temporarily enable Tablet Mode

Open the Action Centre
    Turn on Tablet Mode (should all now go full screen)
    Try moving the tiles now and see if they stick
    Open Action Centre and turn off Tablet Mode
    Should look normal again, see if it makes any difference now

paulsalter, Jan 4, 2016
  8. Hazcrew Win User

First I couldn't go into tablet mode, then discovered it only workswith 1 monitor so I disconnected my 2nd monitor. Unfortunately same symptems in Table mode.
    One interesting side effect in Tablet mode was that on restart in comes up with a brief message
    Critical process died - yes I'm shutting down. No other helpfull information. to indicate what the problem might be.

Hazcrew, Jan 4, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    I forgot the obvious question.. were you able to do this formerly, and if so, do you have any idea what happened before you found you couldn't?

dalchina, Jan 4, 2016
  10. Hazcrew Win User
    After my upgrade from Windows 7 64 to Windows 10 it worked.
    End of November I did a fresh install of Windows 10. Never got round to trying to move icons until recently so don't know if it ever worked under the new install, it was not something I bothered to check. So not able to identify if it was that or something since.

Done an sfc /scannow no problems although it did complain that could not fix something - looked like it was a dll for the graphica card but I have a Nividia driver installed (GTX580). Could be related, difficult to make sense of the log file.

Hazcrew, Jan 5, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Sounds like assuming you had your high res. dual monitor config originally it's nothing to do with that - the 1 dll error sthg like open*.dll is a known peculiarity of an Nvidia driver and SFC /SCANNOW so sounds like nothing there.. good news.

Just a random idea- have you tried changing the tile settings- show more tiles, full screen on and off?

This post indicates someone got it working.. how is unclear to me.
    http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/.../#entry5682004

dalchina, Jan 5, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I'll put this in a different post as it will be longer:

1. Complicated solution (maybe)
    Local Group Policy Editor :: User Configuration :: Administrative Templates :: Start Menu and Taskbar :: Start Screen Layout .

- which says
    Specifies the Start layout for users.

This setting lets you specify the Start layout for users and prevents them from changing its configuration. The Start layout you specify must be stored in an XML file that was generated by the Export-StartLayout PowerShell cmdlet.
    To use this setting, you must first manually configure a device's Start layout to the desired look and feel. Once you are done, run the Export-StartLayout PowerShell cmdlet on that same device. The cmdlet will generate an XML file representing the layout you configured.

Once the XML file is generated and moved to the desired file path, type the fully qualified path and name of the XML file. You can type a local path, such as C:\StartLayouts\myLayout.xml or a UNC path, such as \\Server\Share\Layout.xml. If the specified file is not available when the user logs on, the layout won't be changed. Users cannot customize their Start screen while this setting is enabled.

If you disable this setting or do not configure it, the Start screen layout won't be changed and users will be able to customize it.

====================================
    Simpler solution (maybe)
    How to lock metro tiles in windows 8.1 - Microsoft Community

This tool may well offer you a way to 'unlock' the tiles.

dalchina, Jan 5, 2016
  13. Cannot move start menu tiles

If u r talking about the Tiles, try right clicking on the task bar and uncheck Lock the Taskbar. Don't forget to lock it when u r done.

thundercat 1400, Jan 6, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    @thundercat: lock the taskbar = 'don't move the whole taskbar' - could you explain your thinking? Thanks.

dalchina, Jan 6, 2016
  15. Hazcrew Win User
    I checked the local group policy, start screen layout is not set, so its not that that is preventing the movement of tiles.
    and taskbar is not locked, although I don't think thats relevant.
    I'm going to run a backup at the weekend so I might try a repair.

Hazcrew, Jan 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Cannot move start menu tiles - Similar Threads - Cannot move start

2. Start Menu Tiles...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu Tiles...: [ATTACH] Is there any way to change Windows 10 UWP app tiles to an unsupported color or at least, change it without changing the accent color? https://preview.redd.it/mbqdxtnjwlx51.png?width=1366&format=png&auto=webp&s=4cb2a93bc3c80ee24150a8458dd752ab330f4e94 submitted...
  3. Start Menu Folder Tiles moving on their own

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Folder Tiles moving on their own: Every now and then I open my start menu and folders such as the ones labeled I, W and V below have moved far below where I put them. Sometimes they end up overlapping. I wondered if I just somehow moved them by accident I'm pretty sure I didn't and other strange things happen...
  4. Cannot move random start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move random start menu tiles: I have certain start menu tiles, regardless of size, that can be displaced by other tiles, but if you try to move them anywhere on their own, they just snap back into their original position. This condition has existed for me I would say years now. As in the past, the only...
  5. Start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu tiles: Hi Im trying to sort out a problem, recently I noticed that I cant add tiles to the start menu, I cant delete ones already there, I cant move them where I want them to be and that the *context* menu that appears when I right click on the tiles already pinned to the start...
  6. How do I move tiles in the start menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I move tiles in the start menu?: Drag and drop doesn't do anything, the tile just disappears an reappears when I release the mouse. 21577
  7. Cannot move start menu tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move start menu tiles: I cannot move/rearrange start menu tiles. when I click to select a tile, it immediately opens the application and closes the menu. I am running Win 10 v1703 93199
  8. cannot edit tiles in windows Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot edit tiles in windows Start menu: Hi all, Wired issues popping up now... *Smile I cannot seem to be able to edit the tiles in the start menu. I cannot move, resize and add tiles. I've checked the register for a value that disables edit in Policies Explorer under HKLM and HKCU and I have nothing...
  9. no tiles in the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    no tiles in the start menu: [img] I've had this problem for a while and with every build it doesn't get fixed. When I open the start menu the tiles don't appear. Screenshot should say it all. If anyone can tell me what to do to get this problem solved I would appreciate it 8379
  10. Moving tiles to start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving tiles to start menu: Is it possible to move a tile to the taskbar or the start menu. 27437