Windows 10: Cannot open 3d models in 3D Viewer when EFS is disabled

Discus and support Cannot open 3d models in 3D Viewer when EFS is disabled in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Struggled with why we couldnt open 3D models in 3D viewer on any PC on our Domain when I finally discovered that if we have Encrypted Files System EFS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Rob_Young, May 3, 2020.

1. Rob_Young Win User

Cannot open 3d models in 3D Viewer when EFS is disabled

Struggled with why we couldnt open 3D models in 3D viewer on any PC on our Domain when I finally discovered that if we have Encrypted Files System EFS set to "Don't Allow" in Group Policy, We get an error "Could not load 3D Model". If I set EFS to not configured or allowed, run a gpupdate /force, it works fine.

Does anyone know how to resolve this? We do not allow EFS since it is a security vulnerability for Ransomeware.

"just a pre-response message, before anyone mentions resetting, clearing cache, powershell to uninstall reinstall, windows store re-install, this does not resolve the issue.

:)

Rob_Young, May 3, 2020

2. 3D Models from Paint 3D appear weirdly textured and glitchy.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as the texture of the model is changing that you are creating in Paint 3D app.

In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • What is the Paint 3D app version currently installed on the PC?
    • Did you try saving the 3D model in a different format?
    • What happens when you open the same 3D model in 3D Viewer or 3D Builder app?

Meanwhile, we would like you to reset the Paint 3D app and check if you have the same issue.

1. Press Windows + I key to launch Windows settings.
    2. Click on Apps and select Apps & feature from the left pane.
    3. Scroll down and select Paint 3D app on the right pane.
    4. Click on Advanced option and then click on Reset.
    5. Restart the PC and then launch the Paint 3D app.

Also try creating a 3D model in 3D builder and then check it on the Office PowerPoint app.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, May 3, 2020
  3. 3d model saving

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

When you save a file in PowerPoint, the extension of file would be
    .ppt
    and the file would not be compatible for apps like 3D builder. So we would suggest you to refer to articles mentioned below for more details.

1. 3D in Windows 10 (Under the section
      Get Started).
    2. Get creative with 3Dmodels.

Hope it helps

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Manjunath_H, May 3, 2020
  4. DavidS-C Win User

Custom stickers in Paint 3D don't export to 3D Viewer

Thank you for your reply Aditya.

I am on Windows 10 version 1909 (OS build 18363.476)

Paint 3D is version 6.1907.18017.0

3D viewer is version 7.1908.9012.0

Computer is running an intel i5-3470 processor

The file type is 3D - GLB (*.glb) from a Paint Project.

I have performed the reset and it makes no difference.

Random .jpg files sometimes work, and sometimes not (with the same image).

When I open the saved 3D model in 3D viewer it is sometimes all right, but at other times the model is totally black, and that is when I get the error message in Paint 3D which reads "Paint 3D needs to close. Not sure what's happened, but we're working
    on it." (What an annoying message, incidentally - who exactly is working on it, and why do they not fix it?)

That's about all I can tell you. It's quite annoying as the model I have created isn't very complicated.

DavidS-C, May 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Cannot open 3d models in 3D Viewer when EFS is disabled - Similar Threads - Cannot open models

2. 3D objects not opening with 3D viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3D objects not opening with 3D viewer: Hello,I want to tell you that my 3D projects are not opening with 3D viewer when I double click on them. They are opening when we right click > Open or with Paint 3D. I have made them with Paint 3D in Windows 10 but when I joined the Insider Program for Windows 11 they are...
  3. 3D objects not opening with 3D viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3D objects not opening with 3D viewer: Hello,I want to tell you that my 3D projects are not opening with 3D viewer when I double click on them. They are opening when we right click > Open or with Paint 3D. I have made them with Paint 3D in Windows 10 but when I joined the Insider Program for Windows 11 they are...
  4. How to change default 3D viewer model

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change default 3D viewer model: Currently, it opens up bee model. Having insectophobia i want to change it into something different or show nothing by default. Is it possible?P.S. I didn't find the correct sub-topic related to the 3D viewer app...
  5. How to change default 3D viewer model

How to change default 3D viewer model: Currently, it opens up bee model. Having insectophobia i want to change it into something different or show nothing by default. Is it possible?P.S. I didn't find the correct sub-topic related to the 3D viewer app...
  6. paint 3d 3d models copyright

paint 3d 3d models copyright: I am a 3D model maker.Can I use 3D models without copyright?please reply https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/paint-3d-3d-models-copyright/a3325f48-05a8-4139-a4e5-1ebcdd65f4e7
  7. Paint 3D's 3D Model's Copywrights

Paint 3D's 3D Model's Copywrights: I am creating my company's logo via Paint 3D. I am using a lot of the 3D models in the Paint 3D library. I have resized them and added a lighting effect called "Minecraft day." Resizing them and changing the lighting is the only manipulation I have done to these models. These...
  8. 3D viewer not opening

3D viewer not opening: When I try to open a .obj file from file explorer, 3D viewer does not load at all. It is stuck on this screen: [ATTACH] Can somebody please help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/3d-viewer-not-opening/b11137a8-f872-428b-9709-1be205a2da98
  9. Paint 3D Cannot Place a Model

Paint 3D Cannot Place a Model: I've been using Paint 3D in a classroom...Some of our computers will not allow the 3D Library to place Models into Paint 3D. Other computers do allow it. What is the fix for this? Tried all the updates from the Store....
  10. 3d model saving

3d model saving: Hi I have inserted a 3d model in PowerPoint. How can i save this 3d model to uce it in other apps like 3d builder. I inserted a swimming shark. then copied it and pasted in 3d paint. But now, it does not move it's fin as it did in PowerPoint....