Windows 10: Cannot open an app or folder in the desktop or in the file explorer

Discus and support Cannot open an app or folder in the desktop or in the file explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I need to click a lot of times and not double click in order to open an app or a folder in the desktop or in the file explorer but i can open it via... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by michlyper, Sep 14, 2019.

1. michlyper Win User

Cannot open an app or folder in the desktop or in the file explorer

I need to click a lot of times and not double click in order to open an app or a folder in the desktop or in the file explorer but i can open it via pressing enter or right clicking it and choosing the option open,
    and i also cannot double click on a window to maximize it, i need to click a lot of times in order to maximize it.

It would be great if you can help me.

:)

michlyper, Sep 14, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 25, 2019
  3. sturpe Win User
    Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

Now that is interesting. If I do what you suggest, File Explorer Address bar changes to C:\Users\username\documents and the missing ICONS are there. But there is still not a "Desktop" folder.

Is this a step in the right direction?

sturpe, Sep 25, 2019
  4. HDVIDTech Win User

Explorer Opens slow

I have tried the steps listed below. Method 2 and pinned it to the task bar. This helps it open faster but when it opens then the open window are grouped away from the icon on the task bar. I have to have two explorer folders pinned to the task bar to
    have a fast opening Explorer and grouped windows together.

When I do "open file location" the original one shows it is on the desktop, but it is not there. The other one I created tracks back to the C:\ drive location as it was created. Just kind of weird that one is referencing the Desktop when it is not there.
    Maybe hidden but still kind of odd.

How can I make it where I only have one Explorer that is both fast to open and the only one on the task bar?

Method 1: Rebuild your search index.

• Press Windows key + R, type control.exe srchadmin.dll, and click on OK.
    • Click on the Advanced button.
    • From the Advanced dialogue box, select Rebuild. Selecting Rebuild will begin the process of deleting, and then rebuilding your PC’s search index.

Note: While the steps to initiate the rebuilding process are simple, the actual process can take quite some time depending on how much data Windows has to index.

Method 2: Create a File Explorer shortcut on your desktop.

• On your Windows 10 desktop, right-click with the mouse.
    • Select New > Shortcut.
    • Type explorer.exe in the Location box.
    • Click on Next button.
    • Click on Finish button. You should now have a shortcut on your desktop.
    • Right-click the new shortcut, and select Properties.
    • Under Target line, change it to (note the space between C:\Windows\explorer.exe and /n):

C:\Windows\explorer.exe /n
    • Click the OK button. Now you can double-click it like your regular File Explorer app.

Method 3: Reset the File Explorer view to the default settings across all your folders.

• Launch File Explorer, click the File menu, and select Change folder and search options.
    • Click on the View tab.
    • Under Folder views, click on Reset Folders.
    • Click the OK button.

Let us know if any of the suggestions helped.

HDVIDTech, Sep 25, 2019
Thema:

1. Cannot open an app or folder in the desktop or in the file explorer - Similar Threads - Cannot open app

2. File Explorer cannot be Opened

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer cannot be Opened: Each time I try to open the file explorer my laptop will have a blink and fail to do so. Looks like that system will restart the the file explorer for my each attempt I resetted my pc but kept my personal files yet it didnt work. Before the reset, I googled the solutions and...
  3. File Explorer cannot be Opened

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer cannot be Opened: Each time I try to open the file explorer my laptop will have a blink and fail to do so. Looks like that system will restart the the file explorer for my each attempt I resetted my pc but kept my personal files yet it didnt work. Before the reset, I googled the solutions and...
  4. Cannot open Application app on file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open Application app on file explorer: I can't open any application on file explorer. technically it did open but then a black screen froze and just completely shut down. then a Debug log appear saying "[0126/172424.829:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc56] CreateFile: The system cannot find the file specified....
  5. Cannot open Application app on file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot open Application app on file explorer: I can't open any application on file explorer. technically it did open but then a black screen froze and just completely shut down. then a Debug log appear saying "[0126/172424.829:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc56] CreateFile: The system cannot find the file specified....
  6. Cannot open Application app on file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Cannot open "File Explorer"

Cannot open "File Explorer": Note: I confused what type of topics should I use, so I just use topic that relate to "File Explorer":PI already fix this issue okay i am not fix it, but avoid itSo my computer is fine. Be able to use internet, all app is fine. There is no problem.Well.. except that I am not...
  8. Desktop folder opening without file explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop folder opening without file explorer: Is there a smart way to open a folder you have on your desktop, without using file explorer? Such that you can see all the files within, whilst still on the desktop submitted by /u/samtowell [link] [comments]...
  9. Cannot open folders or files in Onedrive using Explorer

Cannot open folders or files in Onedrive using Explorer: This problem has been floating around the forum a bit but I never saw a resolution. When I try to open any files or folders in OneDrive using Explorer, it just sits and the blue circle pointer spins for a minute or two its painfully long then stops spinning ultimately and...
  10. "Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens

in Windows 10 Support
    "Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens: Hello, I keep getting this error when Windows 10 boots to desktop, when I close it opens file explorer. Any ideas what's this mysterious "-a" file is? 97243