Windows 10: Cannot open an Excel file

Discus and support Cannot open an Excel file in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I have a problem opening just one odd excel file. this is a .xlsx file, and I am using Office 2013. Office program fully up to date. I have tried all... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Skofab, May 25, 2020.

1. Skofab Win User

Cannot open an Excel file

I have a problem opening just one odd excel file. this is a .xlsx file, and I am using Office 2013. Office program fully up to date.
    I have tried all the amateur workarounds (I have limited computer know how) inc office has been repaired.

On opening the file, there is a message to say cannot open, there is a problem. Would you like to try recovery. Try this but no go.
    Second message then appears to say file either moved, deleted, or wrong format.
    Realistically am I on a lost cause here?
    Your comments would be welcomed - thanks

WIN10 1909 (OS Build 183.815

:)

Skofab, May 25, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

CSV files used to open in Excel....not now!

Hi, you say Excel is installed. Does it run normally?

You can't find Excel in (an unspecified) list of applications. I don't know which list that is for sure.

For example, in the list related to:
    - rt click a file. Open With
    - this list:

Cannot open an Excel file [​IMG]

- this list:

Cannot open an Excel file [​IMG]

- some other list...

If Excel does not appear in the above, I suggest you repair your office installation.

Maybe the above gives you some ideas. Otherwise please post a screenshot of where you think you should see it but don't. Thanks.

dalchina, May 25, 2020
  3. FIles in Word, Excel and other programmes will not open from the explorer

Hi Brian,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and thanks for providing us an opportunity to assist you.

Please follow the steps.

Step 1:

Lets try to disable the DDE option following these steps:

• Click the File tab, and then click
      Options.
    • Click Advanced, and then click to clear the
      Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) check box in the
      General area.
    Click OK.

Step 2:

If the issue persists, uncheck the compatibility options by doing the following:

Right click on Excel (.exe) Properties > Compatibility > uncheck all the boxes

To access Excel (.exe), open the following location:

Windows 8 32bit: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14

Windows 8 64bit: C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14

For reference:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/there-was-a-problem-sending-the-command-to-the/56ee1743-b476-43a5-9b00-169b8c6ef37a

Hope the suggestion is helpful. Reply for further assistance.

Joy Kemprai, May 25, 2020
  4. Cannot open an Excel file

Excel isn't opening properly

Hello BradBoner

Does the error pop up as soon as you click on the Excel program to open or once the Excel is opened?

Try the steps below and check if it helps:

Step 1:

Try to open Excel in safe mode and check if it opens:

· Hold Windows key + R.

· Copy and paste, or type the following command in the Open box, and then press Enter:

Excel /safe

Note: There is space between Excel and/

If the issue does not occur in Excel safe, then try to disable add-ins associated with Excel 2013 and check the result.

· Click on File menu, Options and then Add-ins.

· Click on Go button besides Manage: Com-in Add.

· Check if there are add-ins listed, clear the checkbox to disable them.

Step 2:

If the above step fails, try the step below:

Right click on Excel (.exe) > Properties > Compatibility > uncheck all the boxes, click Ok and check if it helps.

To access Excel (.exe), open the following location:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\Excel.exe

Or

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\Root\Office15\Excel.exe

Try to open Excel and check if it opens.

Source:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/foru...

Hope this information can help you

Adis R. Asesora Independient

Adis Rivero, May 25, 2020
Thema:

Cannot open an Excel file

1. Cannot open an Excel file - Similar Threads - Cannot open Excel

2. Unable to open excel file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to open excel file: Excel file is on Taskbar but doe not open or restore. I have scanned there is no malaware I have also done sfc scan, there are no corruptions. Have also repaired. Still am unable to open/ restore the file...
  3. cannot open excel file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot open excel file: cannot open excel file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-excel-file/ba694d4b-f2f2-4455-9fb6-9c949a5d89b5
  4. cannot open excel file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot open excel file: cannot open excel file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-excel-file/ba694d4b-f2f2-4455-9fb6-9c949a5d89b5
  5. cannot open excel file

6. Excel files opening in chrome

Excel files opening in chrome: EXCEL files saved in SHARED SERVER open in Chrome by default. When I try to select what they should open in, EXCEL is not listed as an option. HOWEVER, EXCEL files saved in PC Open to EXCEL Correctly and listed as EXCEL files as well.Why are the Shared server EXCEL files...
  7. cannot open word or excel files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    cannot open word or excel files: I cannot open excel or word files. I get an error message everytime I try and open those files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/cannot-open-word-or-excel-files/964b7030-4219-4f20-9683-554ed344e103
  8. Excel file will not open

Excel file will not open: Hi, I tried to save me excel file but it seems it was saved in another format and now I can't open it in excel. When I try to open it, a window pops up saying "how do you want to open this file?". Excel is not one of the options...
  9. Cannot open an Excel file

Cannot open an Excel file: I have a problem opening just one odd excel file. this is a .xlsx file, and I am using Office 2013. Office program fully up to date. I have tried all the amateur workarounds (I have limited computer know how) inc office has been repaired. On opening the file, there is a...
  10. Excel cannot open files

Excel cannot open files: I found in the last two to three days that XLSX files are not opening and i am getting the below mentioned message. Can you please help out Excel cannot open the file 'Salary working file Feb'19.xlsx' because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot edit embedded excel in word 2013 document