Windows 10: cannot open anything apps or menu

Discus and support cannot open anything apps or menu in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; hello i march marchalves6 i updated my win7 to win10 and i cannot enter on apps menu and bar search only edge helpp!! :... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by MarchAlves, Oct 9, 2020.

1. cannot open anything apps or menu

hello i march marchalves6 i updated my win7 to win10 and i cannot enter on apps menu and bar search only edge helpp!! :

:)

MarchAlves, Oct 9, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

Yep, I see the same.

I tried adding Paint to Open With for txt. That also appeared in the More Options list.

I suspect it's to do with what the programs are registered to handle. The Open With list is constructed form a number of sources e.g. at least these:

cannot open anything apps or menu [​IMG]

The first of those corresponds to Snip & Sketch (simply search and find refs to the Appx string)

dalchina, Oct 9, 2020
  3. Ztruker Win User

@mngerhold, there is more involved. You have the

OpenWithList

OpenWithProgIDs

and UserChoice

which contains a HASH value and a ProgID which feeds back into the OpenWithProgIDs stem of the tree.
    I don't know how the HASH value is generateed or what it is generated from but I think it's important.

Ztruker, Oct 9, 2020
  4. mngerhold Win User

cannot open anything apps or menu

Well, I hope this helps the OP - it took a while. I tried 'Default Program Editor' (DPE) and it did indeed add (or remove) items, but when I tried to specifically add Word to pdf opening, it failed - it went through the motions, but nothing happened. So I started again, playing with settings for opening .doc files. This seemed to work: initially in explorer I had 3 programs appear in the 'default' list that pops up on a rt-click>open-with:

and this is what the relevant bit of the Registry showed:

Don't ask me why just 3 of those 8 (a to h) programs show up (maybe the 'instant' list is limited to three? - no, see later) - anyway, I used DPE to remove Wordpad from the list: when saving the edit as a REG file, this is what I got:

Code:
    and the result in Explorer was:

and the registry now shows:

Note how item 'g' from the list has been removed (it seems there is no issue with having a letter missing). I then messed about trying to open a .doc file with various other programs, and they all started to appear in the 'instant' list:

So I thought 'well, that is easy - just open a pdf once in Word and it should appear'. So back to trying to open PDFs: but however many times I tried, Word would never appear.

even though there were any number of entries in the Registry 'Open With' list, including Word:

So what did DPE make of this - well, it showed some of the entries:

Although Word is shown, it doesn't appear on a rt-click. Its entry can be removed, but that doesn't help. So my attention was drawn to the existence of another folder below 'OpenWithList', namely 'OpenWithProgids', and that contained a specific ref to Sumatra (my preferred program for PDFs). Looking back at the same entry for .docx, I found this:

so I added an identical Word.Document.12 ref to the list for PDFs:

I think IrfanView is there as it got added during my experiments! I now get this in Explorer:

Hurrah! I then tried to use DPE to remove the redundant entries, and got this as a .REG file:
    Code:
    But when i merge that with the registry, the IrfanView item does not get deleted:

and as seen in the registry:

so I deleted it by hand, and at last have the entries I (or rather, the OP) want:

Note that my manually added reg entry is of type Binary', as there seems to be no way to add a value of type 'None'.

So it seems that DPE cannot cope with entries in the 'Progids' list, and something makes some programs fall into that list, rather than the 'openwithlist'. I am sorry for any typos above, or pictures in the wrong place - can't be bothered to check it too thoroughly. Hope it helps someone!

atb, Martin

mngerhold, Oct 9, 2020
Thema:

cannot open anything apps or menu

1. cannot open anything apps or menu - Similar Threads - cannot open anything

2. cannot open anything in hotbar.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot open anything in hotbar.: Error popped up when I started my computer today saying "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsfot.549921C3F5F10_3.2111.12605.0_x64_...\Win32Bridge.Server.exe Not implemented"I cannot press start, open my settings, change my internet, adjust sound without right clicking the...
  3. cannot open anything in hotbar.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot open anything in hotbar.: Error popped up when I started my computer today saying "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsfot.549921C3F5F10_3.2111.12605.0_x64_...\Win32Bridge.Server.exe Not implemented"I cannot press start, open my settings, change my internet, adjust sound without right clicking the...
  4. cannot open anything in hotbar.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows Cannot Click and Open Anything

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Cannot Click and Open Anything: Hi, can someone please help me?I just update my Windows. After turn it on, I cannot click or open anything, also press the short cut button like volume or brigthness sometime it works very slow. I tried several steps on internet, but it all need me to open task manager or...
  6. Cannot open anything

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot open anything: I recently purchased my laptop. It was working fine until yesterday. Suddenly, the taskbar got freeze. I couldn't open start button, WiFi, search bar. Then i googled it and found many users had faced this problem. So I searched how to fix this on YouTube but nothing worked....
  7. cannot open the apps on the microsoft start menu .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot open the apps on the microsoft start menu .: This is following a system restore. neither can i uninstall them .Urgent ,,,I cant play solitaire -iam hooked on spider https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-the-apps-on-the-microsoft-start-menu/0dd3f62b-f7fa-4b95-88aa-8bc19005ed3a
  8. Cannot pin anything to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot pin anything to Start Menu: 1. The only shortcuts I have are Edge and Settings. They can be unpinned, but not added back 2. Nothing happens when attempting to do so. 3. Can pin to taskbar 4. .lnk files work file 5. SFC failed to find anything or repair anything 6. Ditto with DISM 7. New user...
  9. Cannot open anything

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot open anything: Start up and log in were normal and desktop loaded but there is nothing on my task bar except for start menu and Cortana but when I hover over the task bar I just get a loading symbol. Nothing seems to be responding. I've tried opening task manager and nothing. 52826
  10. Cannot open start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot open start menu: Hello, I have relocated my Users directory during the installation of Windows to another drive using tutorial from this forum. Everything worked perfectly. Then I wanted to upgrade the build, however due to the relocated User directory, the update failed. So I edited the...