Windows 10: Cannot open Application app on file explorer

Discus and support Cannot open Application app on file explorer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I can't open any application on file explorer. technically it did open but then a black screen froze and just completely shut down. then a Debug log... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ItsWesley, Jan 26, 2022.

1. ItsWesley Win User

Cannot open Application app on file explorer

I can't open any application on file explorer. technically it did open but then a black screen froze and just completely shut down. then a Debug log appear saying "[0126/172424.829:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc56] CreateFile: The system cannot find the file specified. 0x2" this happened especially on my 18+ games or any other games in particular and it's really annoying can anyone help me to solve this issue? that would be really appreciated.

:)

ItsWesley, Jan 26, 2022
  2. xguntis Win User

Video file is not opening from within the application Xpiks on win10

Xpiks is a image/video keywording tool. There is a possibility to open the specific file with the associated application. It used to work. Now it does not anymore work. Nothing happens when i click on Open File. Here is what i tried:

• I created a new user and installed the app for it and it works for that user.
    • I checked other applications like Multi Commander or DeepMeta - they open the video file with the default app.
    • I disabled the Antivirus and firewall - nothing helped.
    • Uninstalling/Re-installing also did not help.
    • Tried Revo uninstaller as suggested, but uninstalling with it and re-installing also did not help.
    • reset the file type associations to the Microsoft recommended

Here is what the app developer says about how the app opens the file:

He also says:

How to fix it?

xguntis, Jan 26, 2022
  3. mngerhold Win User
    Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

Well, I hope this helps the OP - it took a while. I tried 'Default Program Editor' (DPE) and it did indeed add (or remove) items, but when I tried to specifically add Word to pdf opening, it failed - it went through the motions, but nothing happened. So I started again, playing with settings for opening .doc files. This seemed to work: initially in explorer I had 3 programs appear in the 'default' list that pops up on a rt-click>open-with:

Cannot open Application app on file explorer [​IMG]

and this is what the relevant bit of the Registry showed:

Don't ask me why just 3 of those 8 (a to h) programs show up (maybe the 'instant' list is limited to three? - no, see later) - anyway, I used DPE to remove Wordpad from the list: when saving the edit as a REG file, this is what I got:

Code:
    and the result in Explorer was:

and the registry now shows:

Note how item 'g' from the list has been removed (it seems there is no issue with having a letter missing). I then messed about trying to open a .doc file with various other programs, and they all started to appear in the 'instant' list:

So I thought 'well, that is easy - just open a pdf once in Word and it should appear'. So back to trying to open PDFs: but however many times I tried, Word would never appear.

even though there were any number of entries in the Registry 'Open With' list, including Word:

So what did DPE make of this - well, it showed some of the entries:

Although Word is shown, it doesn't appear on a rt-click. Its entry can be removed, but that doesn't help. So my attention was drawn to the existence of another folder below 'OpenWithList', namely 'OpenWithProgids', and that contained a specific ref to Sumatra (my preferred program for PDFs). Looking back at the same entry for .docx, I found this:

so I added an identical Word.Document.12 ref to the list for PDFs:

I think IrfanView is there as it got added during my experiments! I now get this in Explorer:

Hurrah! I then tried to use DPE to remove the redundant entries, and got this as a .REG file:
    Code:
    But when i merge that with the registry, the IrfanView item does not get deleted:

and as seen in the registry:

so I deleted it by hand, and at last have the entries I (or rather, the OP) want:

Note that my manually added reg entry is of type Binary', as there seems to be no way to add a value of type 'None'.

So it seems that DPE cannot cope with entries in the 'Progids' list, and something makes some programs fall into that list, rather than the 'openwithlist'. I am sorry for any typos above, or pictures in the wrong place - can't be bothered to check it too thoroughly. Hope it helps someone!

atb, Martin

mngerhold, Jan 26, 2022
  4. Cannot open Application app on file explorer

Files open in internet explorer

Hi Lauren,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You may have chosen Internet Explorer as a default application to open such files, thus all the icons for your files changed to Internet Explorer icon. I would suggest you try the steps below and see if it helps.

1. Right-click on the file and select Open with.

2. Now, select the application you wish to open your file. (You may click
    Other Option
    to view other applications).

3. Check the box for Always use this app to open <.format> files.

4. Click OK.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Jan 26, 2022
Thema:

Cannot open Application app on file explorer

1. Cannot open Application app on file explorer - Similar Threads - Cannot open Application

2. File Explorer cannot be Opened

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer cannot be Opened: Each time I try to open the file explorer my laptop will have a blink and fail to do so. Looks like that system will restart the the file explorer for my each attempt I resetted my pc but kept my personal files yet it didnt work. Before the reset, I googled the solutions and...
  3. File Explorer cannot be Opened

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer cannot be Opened: Each time I try to open the file explorer my laptop will have a blink and fail to do so. Looks like that system will restart the the file explorer for my each attempt I resetted my pc but kept my personal files yet it didnt work. Before the reset, I googled the solutions and...
  4. Window cannot open some of the application, File explorer open document very slow and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window cannot open some of the application, File explorer open document very slow and...: Hi,I m facing the problem that Window cannot open some of the application, File explorer open document very slow and window cannot install or uninstall application. It happened around a month.First time I think this is the profile problem, so I try several account to try...
  5. Window cannot open some of the application, File explorer open document very slow and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window cannot open some of the application, File explorer open document very slow and...: Hi,I m facing the problem that Window cannot open some of the application, File explorer open document very slow and window cannot install or uninstall application. It happened around a month.First time I think this is the profile problem, so I try several account to try...
  6. Cannot open Application app on file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open Application app on file explorer: I can't open any application on file explorer. technically it did open but then a black screen froze and just completely shut down. then a Debug log appear saying "[0126/172424.829:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc56] CreateFile: The system cannot find the file specified....
  7. Cannot open Application app on file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot open Application app on file explorer: I can't open any application on file explorer. technically it did open but then a black screen froze and just completely shut down. then a Debug log appear saying "[0126/172424.829:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc56] CreateFile: The system cannot find the file specified....
  8. Cannot open "File Explorer"

Cannot open "File Explorer": Note: I confused what type of topics should I use, so I just use topic that relate to "File Explorer":PI already fix this issue okay i am not fix it, but avoid itSo my computer is fine. Be able to use internet, all app is fine. There is no problem.Well.. except that I am not...
  9. Cannot open an app or folder in the desktop or in the file explorer

Cannot open an app or folder in the desktop or in the file explorer: I need to click a lot of times and not double click in order to open an app or a folder in the desktop or in the file explorer but i can open it via pressing enter or right clicking it and choosing the option open, and i also cannot double click on a window to maximize it, i...
  10. "Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens

in Windows 10 Support
    "Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens: Hello, I keep getting this error when Windows 10 boots to desktop, when I close it opens file explorer. Any ideas what's this mysterious "-a" file is? 97243