Windows 10: Cannot open data from external hard drive

Discus and support Cannot open data from external hard drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I backed-up photos, videos, music, documents and excel spreadsheets to an new external hard drive from my old desktop computer in February. I purchased... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mickhumprey, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Cannot open data from external hard drive

I backed-up photos, videos, music, documents and excel spreadsheets to an new external hard drive from my old desktop computer in February. I purchased a new computer at that time. I did copy and paste some music, documents and spreadsheets from the external hard drive EHD to the new pc at that time without a problem. However, I no longer can view, open or copy/paste anything from the external hard drive. I see all the folders, sub-folders, sub-sub folders etc. neatly organized on the EHD just as originally backed up. When you get down to the actual photos, videos, spreadsheets, etc. they also appear but with blank or odd thumbnail icons and odd suffixes. Spreadsheets show up with an xlsx5e431942 file suffix and a companion "file" with xlsx last file suffix. Pictures show up with the same suffixes with jpg in front rather than xlsx

I certainly did not intentionally change any settings on my pc and all default apps are still on Microsoft recommended settings.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

:)

mickhumprey, Mar 25, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Mar 25, 2020
  3. Seagate External Hard Drive

Hi Barbara,

Hardware failure or corruption within your system files are some of the possible reasons why you are experiencing an issue with accessing your external hard drive. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows 10?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue when you are trying to access the external hard drive using another PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for hardware. Follow these steps to do so:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search box at the upper right corner of the window, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and then choose Hardware and Devices.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Mar 25, 2020
  4. Cannot open data from external hard drive

Data recovery on external hard drive

Backed up 500gb data onto 1tb external Toshiba hard drive (v63700-c, HDTB210xk3ba), created a windows recovery drive on Toshiba external hard drive using windows 10 s/w which has 500gb data. While creating a recovery drive, windows 10 didn't warn
    me that data will be deleted, my data 500gb is not visible on toshiba external drive, want to get back my data ? Can you pl help me? searched internet and found R-studio, testdisk, minitool s/w which seems will recover deleted partition, did anyone used these
    or any suggestions highly appreciated.

venugopalvallabhu, Mar 25, 2020
Thema:

Cannot open data from external hard drive

1. Cannot open data from external hard drive - Similar Threads - Cannot open data

2. Cannot open external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot open external hard drive: I cannot access the external hard drive, getting this message: The BitLocker encryption on this drive isn't compatible with your version of Windows. Try opening the drive using a newer version of Windows.. Nothing has changed on the computer since the last time I opened the...
  3. Cannot open external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot open external hard drive: I cannot access the external hard drive, getting this message: The BitLocker encryption on this drive isn't compatible with your version of Windows. Try opening the drive using a newer version of Windows.. Nothing has changed on the computer since the last time I opened the...
  4. Cannot open external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Transfer data from hard drive to external SSD.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Transfer data from hard drive to external SSD.: Can someone tell me how to transfer data from hard drive to external SSD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-data-from-hard-drive-to-external-ssd/8d744dd6-1e4d-48a6-bcda-c241eec118bb
  6. Transfer data from hard drive to external SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer data from hard drive to external SSD.: Can someone tell me how to transfer data from hard drive to external SSD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-data-from-hard-drive-to-external-ssd/8d744dd6-1e4d-48a6-bcda-c241eec118bb
  7. Recovering Data from External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering Data from External Hard Drive: Hello, My old Microsoft surface tablet recently broke, so I had the internal SSD removed and placed it in an external hard drive enclosure to try to recover the files that were on it. When I connect it to my computer, it gives a message saying D:/ is not accessibleIncorrect...
  8. Recovering Data from External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovering Data from External Hard Drive: Hello, My old Microsoft surface tablet recently broke, so I had the internal SSD removed and placed it in an external hard drive enclosure to try to recover the files that were on it. When I connect it to my computer, it gives a message saying D:/ is not accessibleIncorrect...
  9. Recovering Data from External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Cannot open data from external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open data from external hard drive: I backed-up photos, videos, music, documents and excel spreadsheets to an new external hard drive from my old desktop computer in February. I purchased a new computer at that time. I did copy and paste some music, documents and spreadsheets from the external hard drive EHD to...