Windows 10: Cannot open exe files. The message "It's time to update your device" pops up.

Discus and support Cannot open exe files. The message "It's time to update your device" pops up. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 1803. I have not updated in a few months and I have no intent to do so. In my settings, I have enabled "Don't download over metered... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by aronquemarr, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Cannot open exe files. The message "It's time to update your device" pops up.

I'm running Windows 1803. I have not updated in a few months and I have no intent to do so. In my settings, I have enabled "Don't download over metered connections" and I have set my connection as metered. So, Windows is never able to download the update.

Lately, I have not been able to open any downloaded exe files. Whenever I try to do so, this message pops up:

Cannot open exe files. The message "It's time to update your device" pops up. 26bd85bc-9401-4e6d-aef2-5b5a97060bc9?upload=true.jpg

I have tried the "See how", but it doesn't lead me anywhere. Sometimes, I am able to run the EXE files via the Windows Command Prompt and other times, it says Permission denied or the same pop-up shows up.

How do I fix this problem besides actually updating my device?

:)

aronquemarr, Sep 12, 2020
  2. erocker Win User

Exe file slow to open

A SFX archive isn't going to open right away. The files have to be extracted first. When you are opening it in WinRar, it's not extracting the file, it's just reading it which is why it opens right away.

erocker, Sep 12, 2020
  3. Problem about opening .exe files

model: HP Pavilion Notebook

Edition: Windows 10 Home

Version: 1607

Okay, I was wrong. The .exe files of apps (such as WPS Office) can be opened if I choose the apps themselves to open the apps when that window (You will need a new app to open this file) pops up. However, there is still a problem
    as every time I open the apps the window pops up and I have to choose again.

Although I can open .exe files of apps, I still can't open .exe files of the system (such as Command Prompt
    and Task Manager) as I can't find the file location.

Before I did the steps on that link, I was trying to open .exe files on a DVD, which the files failed to open. There was no issue in opening .exe files on the computer though. Something I noticed is that the file type of all .exe files became "%1"%* after
    I did what the link told me to.

I haven't done anything after the current problem occurred.

Thank you.

PaulTangYZ, Sep 12, 2020
  4. 95Viper Win User

Cannot open exe files. The message "It's time to update your device" pops up.

Exe file slow to open

Possible... I had Kaspersky and ZoneAlarm, both, on different machines & times, misbehavin' and had to re-install them to set them right.
    Even after cleaning them out and re-setting them; they would still bog the file access times down and cause Windows Explorer (not ie) to be slow on opening and accessing, until re-installed.

If he turns off real-time detection it will not make any difference, as he has already been opening the file... he would/should have gotten an alert or warning if there were a problem with the file he is testing with.

Probably not; but, how much ram?
    What version of Windows?
    Where is you swap file located? What size?
    How full are your drives?
    What processor?
    Have you got the latest firmware for your SSD?
    Are your drivers up to date?
    Is your MB bios current?

Is the file an installation file, video file, etc? Does it use compression?

You need to goto User CP and put your system info there and then check the box to show the specs. The info will go a long way in helping some to diagnose your possible problem(s).

95Viper, Sep 12, 2020
Thema:

Cannot open exe files. The message "It's time to update your device" pops up.

1. Cannot open exe files. The message "It's time to update your device" pops up. - Similar Threads - Cannot open exe

2. pop up message of your phone

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    pop up message of your phone: Just to let you know I don't have a 'Your Phone' in my widows 10 Background apps.I get C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.YourPhone_1.22062.542.0_x64_8wekyb3d8bbwe... Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions...
  3. pop up message of your phone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pop up message of your phone: Just to let you know I don't have a 'Your Phone' in my widows 10 Background apps.I get C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.YourPhone_1.22062.542.0_x64_8wekyb3d8bbwe... Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions...
  4. pop up message of your phone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Error message "Access denied" pops up every time an external storage device is opened.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error message "Access denied" pops up every time an external storage device is opened.: This has been happening since the system was first booted up, and for years, I could not find a solution. I have tried everything I found, but nothing worked. Every time any storage device is plugged in, the same error message is shown. All the external devices work just fine...
  6. Error message "Access denied" pops up every time an external storage device is opened.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error message "Access denied" pops up every time an external storage device is opened.: This has been happening since the system was first booted up, and for years, I could not find a solution. I have tried everything I found, but nothing worked. Every time any storage device is plugged in, the same error message is shown. All the external devices work just fine...
  7. Error message "Access denied" pops up every time an external storage device is opened.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. "It's time to update your device" Keeps on popping up.

"It's time to update your device" Keeps on popping up.: my device is updated but i keep on getting this pop up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/its-time-to-update-your-device-keeps-on-popping-up/e8fa227b-b781-46f2-8234-1839b344f97c
  9. Pop up message all the time

Pop up message all the time: I keep getting a pop up notice that my Local disc H drive is full....I do not have an H drive! No such thing shows up in the left column, however it does show up when I click on This PC...then it shows full/red. But when I double click to open, it says 'this folder is...
  10. Cannot open. exe files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot open. exe files: When I am trying to open . exe file I am getting a message "The system cannot find the file specified " https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/cannot-open-exe-files/b3c0e678-448b-473e-8c29-6a0cc1961698