Windows 10: "Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens

Discus and support "Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I keep getting this error when Windows 10 boots to desktop, when I close it opens file explorer. Any ideas what's this mysterious "-a" file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zmk00, Nov 3, 2017.

1. zmk00 Win User

"Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens

Hello,
    I keep getting this error when Windows 10 boots to desktop, when I close it opens file explorer.

Any ideas what's this mysterious "-a" file is?

:)

zmk00, Nov 3, 2017
  2. Sean'O# Win User

Windows 10 File Opening Problem

First there was no problem. Now there's a newly emergent problem. When clicking "Open" in MSWord10, the File Explorer used to be invoked from which the file name to open could be selected. Now, it just locks up the computer. In a non-MS software, clicking
    on "Get" or "Select File" (which used to work without problem) in order to invoke and locate a file name in File Explorer, to retrieve that file and to open it - now it locks up the computer. In MSWord10 and other softwares, File Explorer not longer can be
    invoked and files cannot be opened in those softwares..

Sean'O#, Nov 3, 2017
  3. Robin S Win User
    File Explorer goes back to drive C

When working on a network drive in File Explorer and I open a file and start working on it, I usually minimize file explorer or just let the file I opened to "cover" file explorer. But when I try to go back to File Explorer by bringing it to the "front"
    instead of being in the desired network drive, I see that it goes back to drive C instead. When it reverts back to drive C, the file that I opened from the network drive freezes or I cannot edit or do anything with it. I would have to close the file and restart
    my work again. Why does File Explorer keep going back to drive C?

Robin S, Nov 3, 2017
  4. AndreTen Win User

Hi zmk00!

Could be some left over of another program that you uninstalled, or similar
    Check the startup entries. Open Task manager and and click on Startup tab. It would be good to enable "command line" column like shown in the picture below.

"Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens [​IMG]

AndreTen, Nov 3, 2017
Thema:

1. "Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens - Similar Threads - Cannot open file

2. File Explorer opens randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer opens randomly: Hi, I have a problem and is that yesterday my pc was lagging because I had a 3d rendering software eating all the RAM, so all the other tasks suffer lagging as a consequence, so I decided to close everything except task manager and the program. When it finished, I used the...
  3. cannot open file explorer windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cannot open file explorer windows 10: i have seen many posts on here about windows 10 and how it creates problems opening file explorer. i, too, am having problems. i have done all the suggestions found here and elsewhere and am currently trying to downgrade to windows 8.1. i went to microsoft and downloaded...
  4. cannot open file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot open file: I am facing a new problem. why not this file open and I try several time. can anyone have this solution [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-file/384d2e97-4abc-4947-ade5-14810131338e"
  5. Cannot open files

Cannot open files: I cannot open files because there is no app that should perform the action. How to install this app or create an association in the default apps setting page? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-files/68dd7bcc-b8cc-4fb8-a249-e680ef9516b3"
  6. Cannot open any files in file explorer

Cannot open any files in file explorer: Hello, recently my file explorer has stopped working, whenever I try to open anything in the file explorer, on my C: or D: drives, it just shows the following error: [ATTACH] how can I fix this?...
  7. File Explorer > Open With replacement?

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer > Open With replacement?: It seems like the simple "open with" dialog has gotten worse with every version of Windows since they invented it. I avoided Win8/8.1, but cannot avoid Win10... and this is a feature that I use regularly, and absolutely hate what MS has done with it in Win10. I've already...
  8. File Explorer slow to open or will not open

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer slow to open or will not open: Quite often (60% of the time) clicking on Windows Explorer results in no action whether from the tool bar or from the Windows screen for a very long period of time. There is nothing showing to determine if there is a background program causing Explorer to wait. When it...
  9. File Explorer opens twice

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer opens twice: for the last few days, the explorer closes and reopen itself immediately. this happens both on my Home PC and Work PC. anybody experiencing this too? see screenshot: Explorer opening twice (when locating a file) (from reddit) 25002
  10. Cannot open files

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot open files: Hi- Used Laplink Pcmover Pro to transfer my files from my old computer to the new. Problem is that now I can't open pictures, documents, music on the new computer. Keep getting message that I need permission to open this file. 41881