Windows 10: "Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens

Discus and support "Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I keep getting this error when Windows 10 boots to desktop, when I close it opens file explorer. Any ideas what's this mysterious "-a" file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zmk00, Nov 3, 2017.

1. zmk00 Win User

"Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens

Hello,
    I keep getting this error when Windows 10 boots to desktop, when I close it opens file explorer.

Any ideas what's this mysterious "-a" file is?

:)

zmk00, Nov 3, 2017
  2. Sean'O# Win User

Windows 10 File Opening Problem

First there was no problem. Now there's a newly emergent problem. When clicking "Open" in MSWord10, the File Explorer used to be invoked from which the file name to open could be selected. Now, it just locks up the computer. In a non-MS software, clicking
    on "Get" or "Select File" (which used to work without problem) in order to invoke and locate a file name in File Explorer, to retrieve that file and to open it - now it locks up the computer. In MSWord10 and other softwares, File Explorer not longer can be
    invoked and files cannot be opened in those softwares..

Sean'O#, Nov 3, 2017
  3. Robin S Win User
    File Explorer goes back to drive C

When working on a network drive in File Explorer and I open a file and start working on it, I usually minimize file explorer or just let the file I opened to "cover" file explorer. But when I try to go back to File Explorer by bringing it to the "front"
    instead of being in the desired network drive, I see that it goes back to drive C instead. When it reverts back to drive C, the file that I opened from the network drive freezes or I cannot edit or do anything with it. I would have to close the file and restart
    my work again. Why does File Explorer keep going back to drive C?

Robin S, Nov 3, 2017
  4. AndreTen Win User

Hi zmk00!

Could be some left over of another program that you uninstalled, or similar
    Check the startup entries. Open Task manager and and click on Startup tab. It would be good to enable "command line" column like shown in the picture below.

"Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens [​IMG]

AndreTen, Nov 3, 2017
Thema:

1. "Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens - Similar Threads - Cannot open file

2. File Explorer cannot be Opened

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer cannot be Opened: Each time I try to open the file explorer my laptop will have a blink and fail to do so. Looks like that system will restart the the file explorer for my each attempt I resetted my pc but kept my personal files yet it didnt work. Before the reset, I googled the solutions and...
  3. File Explorer cannot be Opened

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer cannot be Opened: Each time I try to open the file explorer my laptop will have a blink and fail to do so. Looks like that system will restart the the file explorer for my each attempt I resetted my pc but kept my personal files yet it didnt work. Before the reset, I googled the solutions and...
  4. Cannot open "File Explorer". Windows 10

Cannot open "File Explorer". Windows 10: The following message is displayed:"Windows cannot find 'shell....{52205fd8-5dfb-447d-801a-d0b52f2e83e1}'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again....
  5. Cannot open "File Explorer". Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open "File Explorer". Windows 10: The following message is displayed:"Windows cannot find 'shell....{52205fd8-5dfb-447d-801a-d0b52f2e83e1}'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again....
  6. Cannot open Application app on file explorer

Cannot open Application app on file explorer: I can't open any application on file explorer. technically it did open but then a black screen froze and just completely shut down. then a Debug log appear saying "[0126/172424.829:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc56] CreateFile: The system cannot find the file specified....
  7. Cannot open "File Explorer"

Cannot open "File Explorer": Note: I confused what type of topics should I use, so I just use topic that relate to "File Explorer":PI already fix this issue okay i am not fix it, but avoid itSo my computer is fine. Be able to use internet, all app is fine. There is no problem.Well.. except that I am not...
  8. Cannot open .rar's with File Explorer?

Cannot open .rar's with File Explorer?: I tried to switch around some stuff because my .rar's opened as Windows Media Players application. I attempted to find the explorer .exe. I found it and it said this. [ATTACH]...
  9. Cannot open FTP in File Explorer.

Cannot open FTP in File Explorer.: I am using Windows 10 Pro version 2004. I used to open FTP in File Explorer about 2-3 months ago I am not sure about the version of Windows at that moment. But today when I paste the FTP address into address bar of File Explorer, the link opened in IE instead. All my...
  10. Cannot open any files in file explorer

Cannot open any files in file explorer: Hello, recently my file explorer has stopped working, whenever I try to open anything in the file explorer, on my C: or D: drives, it just shows the following error: [ATTACH] how can I fix this?...