Windows 10: Cannot Open Folders ("Application Not Found" Error)

Discus and support Cannot Open Folders ("Application Not Found" Error) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I hope my post is understandable and it's complicated from my own standpoint and Google searches are not helping me whatsoever. To begin, I had a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by moonfal, Apr 25, 2019.

1. moonfal Win User

Cannot Open Folders ("Application Not Found" Error)

I hope my post is understandable and it's complicated from my own standpoint and Google searches are not helping me whatsoever.

To begin, I had a nasty virus attack back in November 2018-- Chameleon Explorer and so many other PUPs and trojans so bad that I had my identity stolen as a credit card was later opened up in my name. Anyway, I believe to have gotten rid of them through Malware Bytes and I forgot what else. I might've even done a system restore which didn't do much. Shortly after getting back into control of my laptop (it was a complete mess), I discovered I cannot open any folders normally-- right clicking or double clicking. I get an error message saying, for example:
    C:\Users\Megan\Desktop/bb
    Application Not Found

However, if I open up File Explorer I can access them, but it's complicated. I have to use the bar where I have to type in each folder that I need to go to. Quick Access can open the folders that are there, but not any further than that normally.

Next, when I created a new user account on my laptop, it doesn't have this problem at all, so it's just located on my User side. Also, for instance, if I'm opening up a folder to upload a file onto Chrome, no problems with this.

I can try to give more information but I don't know a lot of computers as this is out of my breadth of knowledge. For instance, I did the DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and that failed with the source files not found and error code was 0x800f081f and did run a sfc /scannow and corrupt files were found. Also, a System refresh I believe (where all apps become uninstalled that weren't preinstalled and such) failed also.

So, any help is greatly appreciated. I just want to be able to access my folders without this error that keeps happening. I also don't want to restart this user if it can be fixed. At least I have Carbonite.
    Thank you.

:)

moonfal, Apr 25, 2019
  2. Wile E Win User

How: Open Two Application

Put a copy of the application into 2 different folders.

Wile E, Apr 25, 2019
  3. KomouPoji Win User
    Whenever I open a folder, it opens in new window (Windows 10)

Hi Pratyaksh,

To assist you further, let me ask.

• What changes have you make in the folder options?

• Is the error specific to a folder?
    I would suggest you to follow the steps and check if it help.

• Open file explorer, click on view and select options.

• Double-click on options, in the general tab click on Open each folder in the same Window.

• Click apply and ok.
    I hope the information is helpful and if you need any other assistance on Windows, we’ll be glad to assists you.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Apr 25, 2019
  4. newtekie1 Win User

CD drive error

1) Close all open programs
    2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
    3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    Class
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

UpperFilters
    LowerFilters
    UpperFilters.bak
    LowerFilters.bak
    5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
    6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
    7) Reboot your computer
    8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.

And it likely has something to do with the emulated drive you have listed there.

newtekie1, Apr 25, 2019
Thema:

1. Cannot Open Folders ("Application Not Found" Error) - Similar Threads - Cannot Open Folders

2. Windows Explorer: "Application Not Found" Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer: "Application Not Found" Error: I have a persistent error with Windows Explorer. I have several different symptoms: -- when I try to open explorer using WIN+E I get an "Application Not Found" error. -- I cannot open the File Explorer in any way: same error -- I cannot open Control Panel: same error with a...
  3. RuntimeBroker Error Application not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RuntimeBroker Error Application not found: When I right-click on a program icon in the start menu or File Explorer and ask to open the file location, I receive RuntimeBroker Error Application not found....
  4. RuntimeBroker Error Application not found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RuntimeBroker Error Application not found: When I right-click on a program icon in the start menu or File Explorer and ask to open the file location, I receive RuntimeBroker Error Application not found....
  5. The application cannot be opened.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The application cannot be opened.: There is a problem with the feedback center,please contact your administrator, to learn about fixing or reinstalling the application. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-application-cannot-be-opened/633a3a03-6649-46ad-9d68-066959fd151e
  6. Cannot open application

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot open application: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect please see application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe for more detail. What should i do?...
  7. Appdata folder cannot be found?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Appdata folder cannot be found?: Hello I would like to follow my path to get to the App Data folder but when I click through it it does not appear. I can only access it by typing windows R and then %appdata% but why can't I search it normally? Appdata Ordner kann nicht gefunden werden?
  8. Cannot open applications!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot open applications!: My friend is having a problem where when he powers on his HP Notebook 17-x101na laptop. When he powers it on the start screen comes on but when he presses Enter to get to the log in screen nothing happens. He presses Ctrl+Alt+Del and then he gets the log in screen. On the...
  9. Cannot open applications!

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot open applications!: My friend is having a problem where when he powers on his HP Notebook 17-x101na laptop. When he powers it on the start screen comes on but when he presses Enter to get to the log in screen nothing happens. He presses Ctrl+Alt+Del and then he gets the log in screen. On the...
  10. Cannot Delete Folder - "Item Not Found"

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Delete Folder - "Item Not Found": This has got to be the most frustrating issue I've ever encountered. Second time in the last month. I'm trying to delete a folder on my F:\ drive. It has a long name: "Palomino Blackwing Leather Pencil Roll" It's now empty. I want to remove it from my hard drive....