Windows 10: Cannot open FTP in File Explorer.

Discus and support Cannot open FTP in File Explorer. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am using Windows 10 Pro version 2004. I used to open FTP in File Explorer about 2-3 months ago I am not sure about the version of Windows at that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LongN.P., Oct 11, 2020.

1. LongN.P. Win User

Cannot open FTP in File Explorer.

I am using Windows 10 Pro version 2004.

I used to open FTP in File Explorer about 2-3 months ago I am not sure about the version of Windows at that moment.

But today when I paste the FTP address into address bar of File Explorer, the link opened in IE instead.

All my files are showing in new IE window, that I can see my files but cannot manage it.

I follow the instruction on IE that said "To view this FTP site in File Explorer: press Alt, clickView, and then click Open FTP Site in File Explorer. " but nothing happen.

I checked the option "Enable Folder View for FTP sites" and "Use Web Based FTP" in Internet Option already.

Please give me some advice.

Thank you.

:)

LongN.P., Oct 11, 2020

2. Open FTP site Via File Explorer

I use these steps:

To create a shortcut to open an FTP site in Windows Explorer

• Open Computer by clicking the Start button
      Cannot open FTP in File Explorer. [​IMG]
      , and then clicking Computer.

• Right-click anywhere in the folder, and then click Add a Network Location.

• This displays the Add Network Connection wizard. Click Next.

• In the wizard, select Choose a custom network location, and then click Next.

• Enter the name of the FTP site, with the full FTP:// in front of it, and then click Next.

• To use a name and password, clear the Log on anonymously check box. Type a user name, and then click Next.

• By default, the name of the shortcut is the same as the FTP address. If you want to give the shortcut a different name, type it in the Type a name for this network location box. Click Next.

• If you do not want the FTP site to open after you're done setting up the shortcut, clear the Open this network location when I click Finish check box. Click Finish. A shortcut to
      the FTP site appears in the Computer folder. You can drag that shortcut to your desktop so that it's easy to find later.

I use my phone as FTP server and connect to PC via Router.

These step working perfectly in WIn7. But since i upgraded to Win10. I am not able to open the FTP site into File Explorer. FTP site opening perfectly in Browser. I also tried View> Open FTP in File Explorer. But nothing happened after clicking that link
    option.

ThunderStrom, Oct 11, 2020
  3. FTP security issues using Internet Explorer and File Explorer Connections

Hi Tony,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We are glad to help you.

Please share this:

• Which version of Internet Explorer?
    • Which FTP site are you trying to open?

This issue can be caused, when you try to access the FTP site from behind a Web proxy firewall such as the Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server firewall.

If you are using Internet Explorer to access the FTP site, I would suggest you check the Internet Explorer FTP client settings.

How to change the Internet Explorer FTP Client mode

• Start Internet Explorer.
    • Press the Alt key and On the Tools menu, click
      Internet Options
    • Click the Advanced tab.
    • Under Browsing, click the Enable folder view for FTP sites check box.
    • Click OK.
    • Close Internet Explorer.
    Reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-11

Hope this information helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist.

Regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Oct 11, 2020
  4. BillWatts Win User

File explorer - adding a FTP site as an Network Location - BUGS

When attempting to add a FTP network location in File explorer There are problems

If using an ftp site normally when specifying the website, I can enter it as

L: ftp://test01:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***
    This works fine

• But as many sites now use the full email address as the sign on Then
    ftp://*** Email address is removed for privacy ***:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

will not work as the parsing of the string above confuses because of the multiple @ signs

• So as an alternative I specify the site as
    L: ftp://*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

then right click on the network location name under “This PC”

and “Logon as” gives the dialog box where I enter The UID
    L: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

and the password and click save password

This works OK BUT when I create a second Network Location test02 with the same as 2 above Then

• When I open test01 and access it ok then close File explorer and then Open new File explorer and click on network location test02 I go to the test01 site. Whatever was the last site accessed is what is opened. The only way out is to
      always use the “logon as” feature
    Summary – problem 1 is the parsing of the ftp string, Problem 2 is file explorer goes to wrong site

BillWatts, Oct 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Cannot open FTP in File Explorer. - Similar Threads - Cannot open FTP

2. File Explorer cannot be Opened

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer cannot be Opened: Each time I try to open the file explorer my laptop will have a blink and fail to do so. Looks like that system will restart the the file explorer for my each attempt I resetted my pc but kept my personal files yet it didnt work. Before the reset, I googled the solutions and...
  3. File Explorer cannot be Opened

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer cannot be Opened: Each time I try to open the file explorer my laptop will have a blink and fail to do so. Looks like that system will restart the the file explorer for my each attempt I resetted my pc but kept my personal files yet it didnt work. Before the reset, I googled the solutions and...
  4. Problem opening FTP media files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem opening FTP media files: Hello, I was wondering if you have any solutions on how to open video files from an external drive shared through a router without downloading it? Our WiFi router TP-link AC 1200 have an USB port where we can put external hard drive to it, and can share the files in the...
  5. Problem opening FTP media files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem opening FTP media files: Hello, I was wondering if you have any solutions on how to open video files from an external drive shared through a router without downloading it? Our WiFi router TP-link AC 1200 have an USB port where we can put external hard drive to it, and can share the files in the...
  6. Problem opening FTP media files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Problem opening FTP media files

Problem opening FTP media files: Hello, I was wondering if you have any solutions on how to open video files from an external drive shared through a router? I open the path in vain, and even though the appropriate VLC media player is installed on Windows, when opening the file, Windows says that no...
  8. Cannot open "File Explorer"

Cannot open "File Explorer": Note: I confused what type of topics should I use, so I just use topic that relate to "File Explorer":PI already fix this issue okay i am not fix it, but avoid itSo my computer is fine. Be able to use internet, all app is fine. There is no problem.Well.. except that I am not...
  9. FTP Access through File Explorer

FTP Access through File Explorer: I mapped a network drive to my webserver using an FTP address. Now when I open the mapped drive in File Explorer and navigate to a folder and then try to open a file it won't open in anything but Chrome which then displays a blank page. I can't open a text file or a jpg or...
  10. "Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens

in Windows 10 Support
    "Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens: Hello, I keep getting this error when Windows 10 boots to desktop, when I close it opens file explorer. Any ideas what's this mysterious "-a" file is? 97243

Users found this page by searching for:

1. old new explorer ftp fix

2. why wont ftp open in windows explorer