Windows 10: Cannot open HEIC files with fresh install of Winows 10 20H2

Discus and support Cannot open HEIC files with fresh install of Winows 10 20H2 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have just installed Winows 10 ver 20H2 as a clean install, not an update, on a new drive. When I try to open a HEIC file I get the error message:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by RobBennett1, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Cannot open HEIC files with fresh install of Winows 10 20H2

I have just installed Winows 10 ver 20H2 as a clean install, not an update, on a new drive. When I try to open a HEIC file I get the error message: "We can't open this file" in Photos. I have gone to the MS Store and Launched the HEIF Image Extensions, still will not open. I was under the impression that the latest version of Windows 10, ie. 20H2 would open these files without having to install the HEIF Image Extensions option. I have not installed the HEVC Video Extensions yet as I don't want to pay $1.29 for something that I'm not convinced with fix the issue. I know it isn't much, it is the principle of the thing.

I have run all the updates as of 23Jan21, currently at build 19042.746.

What do I need to get these HEIC and video files to open on my new system? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob.

:)

RobBennett1, Jan 23, 2021

2. HEIC photos not opening in Windows 10 (1909) Fresh Install

I'm having an issue where all HEIC photos will not open in a fresh install of Windows 10 (1909). I've confirmed that the HEIF Image Extensions app is installed.

I've gone through the usual troubleshooting steps of resetting the Photos and HEIF image Extensions apps to no avail. I even went as far as running Powershell to uninstall the apps, and again the issue persists.

Are there any additional troubleshooting steps I can take?

Thanks for any help.

Russell

RussellG_19, Jan 23, 2021
  3. randybw57 Win User
    Paint & Paint 3D Can't open HEIC files

Well, I have another PC so I checked Paint/HEIC on it. Worked fine.

Did a 'Reset' of Windows 10. Fresh re-install.

When that completed the HEIF File Extensions were installled.

However, the HEVC Video extensions were not. So, I installed that package.

Now Paint is opening the HEIC files just fine.

randybw57, Jan 23, 2021
  4. suedama Win User

Cannot open HEIC files with fresh install of Winows 10 20H2

HEIC file viewing

I have the HEIC Image extensions and the HEVC video extensions on my Windows 10 PC but the TWINUI application will still not open the HEIC file. Any suggestions?

I have tried converting it to JPG using the APowersoft application but it downloads the file to a location that does not seem to exist on my PC - "...Users/[user name]\AppData\temp...

Thanks.

suedama, Jan 23, 2021
Thema:

Cannot open HEIC files with fresh install of Winows 10 20H2

1. Cannot open HEIC files with fresh install of Winows 10 20H2 - Similar Threads - Cannot open HEIC

2. Cannot open HEIC files on windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot open HEIC files on windows 10: Hello everyone,I'm having trouble opening photos with the HEIC extension.I have installed the missing extensions HEIF and HEIC.I've scoured a lot of forums but there's no answer. If you can help me, I'd be grateful.Best regards...
  3. Cannot open HEIC files on windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot open HEIC files on windows 10: Hello everyone,I'm having trouble opening photos with the HEIC extension.I have installed the missing extensions HEIF and HEIC.I've scoured a lot of forums but there's no answer. If you can help me, I'd be grateful.Best regards...
  4. HEIC File .HEIC download

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HEIC File .HEIC download: need HEIC add on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/heic-file-heic-download/c257654c-cb9a-4939-9f05-8608ea15edbf
  5. Opening HEIC files on photos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Opening HEIC files on photos: Hi, I have a problem when opening HEIC photo files. I have the extension from Microsoft installed. Hope you can help.Thanks,Ethan Lam https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opening-heic-files-on-photos/1b154ecc-aec9-4eaa-b33d-3a87fdeeea0e
  6. Cannot open HEIC file in Win10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open HEIC file in Win10: I am unable to open HEIC files on my Win10 machine in spite of having purchased the codec and in spite of setting MS Photo as the default app for HEIC files. I guess I didn't have to purchase it but I only found that out after I bought it. I have read a number of threads on...
  7. Cannot Open .HEIC files even with HEIF Installed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot Open .HEIC files even with HEIF Installed: [ATTACH] Not sure if this is the correct place but I have the HEIF image extensions from microsft store installed and I still cannot open HEIC photos. Any fix for this?...
  8. How to open .HEIC files

in Windows 10 Support
    How to open .HEIC files: I just got a bunch of photos from a friends' iPhone but I can't open them on my Windows 10. They are all encoded as .heic files: [ATTACH] If I open any of those files in the Photos app, it shows that it can't read them. If I then go into Settings and scroll down, it has...
  9. It is possible to open HEIC files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    It is possible to open HEIC files?: Need to download a third part. submitted by /u/jlocatell [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gi9e03/it_is_possible_to_open_heic_files/
  10. HEIC photos not opening in Windows 10 1909 Fresh Install

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    HEIC photos not opening in Windows 10 1909 Fresh Install: I'm having an issue where all HEIC photos will not open in a fresh install of Windows 10 1909. I've confirmed that the HEIF Image Extensions app is installed. I've gone through the usual troubleshooting steps of resetting the Photos and HEIF image Extensions apps to no...