Windows 10: Cannot open/manage files on newly unencrypted USB drive after OS reinstall

Discus and support Cannot open/manage files on newly unencrypted USB drive after OS reinstall in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After my system crashed and I was forced to reinstall Windows 10 Pro, my encrypted USB drive stopped allowing some file management copy, move, open. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rob Moses - Caladan, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Cannot open/manage files on newly unencrypted USB drive after OS reinstall

After my system crashed and I was forced to reinstall Windows 10 Pro, my encrypted USB drive stopped allowing some file management copy, move, open. It says "Access Denied". But strangely, it allows me to delete files. Some apps say I need "Everybody" permissions. When I look at the permissions via the share tab Security tab is not appearing in properties, no one has permission, but it allows me to add Everybody, Admin, etc and give them full access. It makes no difference, I still cannot open, copy or move files and the security tab will not appear. Different apps give different error messages.

Attempts to copy files say:

Cannot open/manage files on newly unencrypted USB drive after OS reinstall 599ff4ce-7a9a-4168-a541-9941645dfdff?upload=true.jpg

Attempts to open a file give the following error:

Cannot open/manage files on newly unencrypted USB drive after OS reinstall b48e9f79-9f17-432f-bf53-eb377853c612?upload=true.jpg

Cannot open/manage files on newly unencrypted USB drive after OS reinstall da2c33ec-65e0-4561-968a-185d7a6df9d9?upload=true.jpg

I have tried a bunch of utilities, Cipher commands, and more. None are having any effect. Any ideas would be appreciated.

:)

Rob Moses - Caladan, Apr 27, 2020

2. Unable to see info on USB drive

Check if the drive is assigned a drive letter.

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

If you see your drive listed there, but no drive letter, right click it

Click Change Drive Letter and Paths

Click Add

Click Assign the following drive letter

Click in the Drive letter list box

Choose a drive letter - try choosing letters near the end of the alphabet

Click OK

Click OK again

If that does not work...

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Disk drives

Right click the external drive

Click uninstall

Exit Device Manager, restart then check if its detected.

OR

Step 1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog

Step 2. Type regedit and press Enter

Step 3. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > USB

Step 4. If the USB key does not exist into the list, then create a new key USB under Services. Now create a new DWORD value under the key that you’ve just created

Step 5. Keep the USB key selected and right-click on the blank space at the right pane

Step 6. Select New > DWORD value from the context menu

Step 7.Rename this newly created DWORD value as DisableSelectiveSuspend

Step 8. Right-click on DisableSelectiveSuspend and select Modify

Step 9. Put 1 in Value data field and then click OK

Step 10. Reboot your PC

Andre Da Costa, Apr 27, 2020
  3. Lazzer408 Win User
    help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Apr 27, 2020
  4. Gino Des Win User

Cannot open/manage files on newly unencrypted USB drive after OS reinstall

My USB Backup drive does not show in My Computer window.

Hi Meran,

A few possible reason can cause your external drive to not show in File Explorer. To diagnose and fix this issue, we suggest that you check the Disk Management window. To open it, follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the Start button.
    • Select Disk Management.
    • Alternatively, you can search diskmgmt.msc in Cortana.

Examine the list of drives in the Disk Management window and look for your external drive. Even if it doesn’t show up in File Explorer, it should appear here. If the drive appears, it may not be appearing in File Explorer because it needs to be assigned
    a drive letter. To do this, right-click the partition on the drive in Disk Management and select
    Change Drive Letter and Paths.

If you don’t see the drive in the Disk Management window at all, we suggest that you try connecting the drive to a different USB port or use a different USB cable. We also recommend that you avoid using USB hubs, and connect the drive directly to your computer.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to post a reply.

Gino Des, Apr 27, 2020
Thema:

Cannot open/manage files on newly unencrypted USB drive after OS reinstall

1. Cannot open/manage files on newly unencrypted USB drive after OS reinstall - Similar Threads - Cannot open manage

2. After booting to encrypted drive cannot boot to unencrypted drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After booting to encrypted drive cannot boot to unencrypted drive: I booted to an encrypted drive with my bitlocker Key, to recover a deleted file using recovery software. But, now I can't boot to my unencrypted drive. I tried turning off secure boot, no go. I just get a black screen and a white cursor. I tried removing the encrypted drive,...
  3. After booting to encrypted drive cannot boot to unencrypted drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After booting to encrypted drive cannot boot to unencrypted drive: I booted to an encrypted drive with my bitlocker Key, to recover a deleted file using recovery software. But, now I can't boot to my unencrypted drive. I tried turning off secure boot, no go. I just get a black screen and a white cursor. I tried removing the encrypted drive,...
  4. After booting to encrypted drive cannot boot to unencrypted drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Unencrypt a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unencrypt a file: Encrypted a file using Windows 11 Pro EFS Properties > Advanced > Encrypt contents to secure data. Where the file used to be in the folder is a file named EncryptionCertificate.pfx. I expect the file to have the same name and just prompt for a password when I tried to open...
  6. Unencrypt a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unencrypt a file: Encrypted a file using Windows 11 Pro EFS Properties > Advanced > Encrypt contents to secure data. Where the file used to be in the folder is a file named EncryptionCertificate.pfx. I expect the file to have the same name and just prompt for a password when I tried to open...
  7. Can't copy files to USB drive because of encryption on unencrypted usb drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't copy files to USB drive because of encryption on unencrypted usb drive: Hi @ all,i set up a new device with a barely configured intune tenant.Now i wanted to copy some files from this client to an usb drive but win10 always tells me it's encrypted while it is not.This prevents me from copying files.Win10 version is 20h2.Someone already heard of...
  8. SSD Not showing in Device Manager after OS Reinstall

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD Not showing in Device Manager after OS Reinstall: I'm using a Dell Inspiron Desktop PC which I've had for 3 years. Suddenly got blue screen of death today, and had to reinstall windows. THe only problem is, not only the HDD is showing up, the SSD doesn't show up anywhere. The SSD does NOT show up in Device Manager...
  9. Files disappear from a second drive after reinstalling OS

in Windows 10 Support
    Files disappear from a second drive after reinstalling OS: Two weeks ago my primary hdd, a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB died, but I wasn't very worried being the drive in warranty and having a second hard drive (a WD 2 TB) where I store photos, documents, saves and other important files. I proceeded to reinstall the OS on the new drive and...
  10. Other files on an OS usb drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Other files on an OS usb drive?: I'm building a new machine and just used media creator to make a Win 10 USB drive on a 16gb flash drive. Can I store other files in folders or will that the system in some way? 104805