Windows 10: Cannot open MSI files. Not recognized by Msiexec?

Discus and support Cannot open MSI files. Not recognized by Msiexec? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I am on windows 10 and Just after yesterdays update tried to open an msi file suddenly its asking me to choose a file to open it with?? iv tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Tony Young1, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Cannot open MSI files. Not recognized by Msiexec?

I am on windows 10 and Just after yesterdays update tried to open an msi file suddenly its asking me to choose a file to open it with?? iv tried opening with the original system32 msiexec but it says it cannot recognize it, even tried opening old msi files that I had used in the past and still same, tried a few ways including opening with the Admin cmd, still wont work, one of the fixes talks about adding a reg file and I looked into the reg and most of the Registries it mentions are missing from the Registry including the Shell . the only registry I can find under LOCAL_MACHINE is MSI.package

:)

Tony Young1, Nov 12, 2022
  2. olit2000 Win User

msi package cannot be installed

When I try to install any msi-based program (in my case VirtualBox but also 7zip) I get following error messages: "the system could not open the specified device or file." and then "the installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package.
    This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2755." when I hit the "install" button.

I have captured the most verbose log I could get and posted it here:
    https://pastebin.com/PZSRQgwy

It seems that the installer is unable to read the msi file.

What I have already tried:

• rebooting
    • re-registering msiexec with msiexec /unreg and msiexec /regserv
    • sfc /scannow
    • this troubleshooter: MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta.diagcab
    • give everyone full r/w permission to the msi file and parent folder

I run win 10 home build 1809 with all available updates

my av is avast

I have no clue what could have coused this error because a month ago it did work

olit2000, Nov 12, 2022
  3. Time Lady Win User
    Can't run msi Files

Try these, open cmd prompt/powershell with admin & paste:

SFC /SCANNOW

And click enter.

Once completed paste:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

And click enter.

Once complete paste:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Once complete close cmd/powershell & check to see if .msi can be opened.

Also try:

Click Start, click Run then type cmd in the dialog, and then click Command Prompt.

At the command prompt, type the following, and then press Enter after each line:

MSIExec /unregister

MSIExec /regserver

Finally:

To find the installer:

right click the msi file and choose...Open With...

browse to and select >msi.dll< in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder

Time Lady, Nov 12, 2022
  4. Ketxxx Win User

Cannot open MSI files. Not recognized by Msiexec?

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Nov 12, 2022
Thema:

Cannot open MSI files. Not recognized by Msiexec?

1. Cannot open MSI files. Not recognized by Msiexec? - Similar Threads - Cannot open MSI

2. Cannot install msi files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot install msi files: I am having trouble installing files with the msi tag at the end. According to services whenever I try to run the windows installer service it gives me an error message and can not start. I am on a thinkpad and the operating system is windows. What would be the best approach...
  3. Cannot install msi files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot install msi files: I am having trouble installing files with the msi tag at the end. According to services whenever I try to run the windows installer service it gives me an error message and can not start. I am on a thinkpad and the operating system is windows. What would be the best approach...
  4. Cannot open MSI files. Not recognized by Msiexec?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open MSI files. Not recognized by Msiexec?: I am on windows 10 and Just after yesterdays update tried to open an msi file suddenly its asking me to choose a file to open it with?? iv tried opening with the original system32 msiexec but it says it cannot recognize it, even tried opening old msi files that I had used in...
  5. Cannot open MSI files. Not recognized by Msiexec?

Cannot open MSI files. Not recognized by Msiexec?: I am on windows 10 and Just after yesterdays update tried to open an msi file suddenly its asking me to choose a file to open it with?? iv tried opening with the original system32 msiexec but it says it cannot recognize it, even tried opening old msi files that I had used in...
  6. I Cannot Open My .Msi files are not working...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I Cannot Open My .Msi files are not working...: when I try to open my ".msi" file/package it says "How Would You Like To Open Your .msi Fileplease help me... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-open-my-msi-files-are-not-working/2d0b25b0-2f91-43ff-ba18-5eab3f0372bb
  7. I Cannot Open My .Msi files are not working...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I Cannot Open My .Msi files are not working...: when I try to open my ".msi" file/package it says "How Would You Like To Open Your .msi Fileplease help me... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-open-my-msi-files-are-not-working/2d0b25b0-2f91-43ff-ba18-5eab3f0372bb
  8. I Cannot Open My .Msi files are not working...

9. msiexec Deploy an MSI with script

in Windows 10 Customization
    msiexec Deploy an MSI with script: Hi I hope this is the right group. I have an application MSI that I need to deploy via group policy startup script.The MSI has a parameter I must specify so because of that I believe I must use a Batch file startup script rather than just use the software installation feature...
  10. MSI files cannot install

MSI files cannot install: Hi, After the last failed (umpteen'th attempt from Microsoft) to update to Windows 10 Pro 1903 on my Lenovo T430 laptop running W10 Pro 1803 build 17134.1304 and again failing with "Failed to install on 21.07.?2020 - 0xc1900101", I suddenly cannot install MSI files. The...