Windows 10: Cannot open Office documents after doing a Windows update

Discus and support Cannot open Office documents after doing a Windows update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, having been prompted to do so, I did a Windows update today and now I cannot open any Office programmes or documents. I've spent two hours trying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JasonCheater, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Cannot open Office documents after doing a Windows update

Hi, having been prompted to do so, I did a Windows update today and now I cannot open any Office programmes or documents. I've spent two hours trying to work it out. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Office 365. I looked to try to uninstall the update but was not given the option to do so. Please advise, urgently - I need to work! Thanks.

:)

JasonCheater, Jun 10, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Links in Open Office documents doesn’t connect to web

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that links created in Open Office documents doesn’t connect to Web. However, it would be great if you can help us with the details requested below:

• What happens when you click on the links in Open Office document?
    • Do you receive any error message/code? If yes, what is the error message/code?
    • Which browser are you using as default?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to refer the articles on
    Using hyperlinks
    and
    Hyperlinks and URLs
    and see if that helps.

You may also want to try resetting the file association for HTTP and HTTPS files to default and see if that helps. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows Logo key + I, to open
      Settings.
    2. Click on Apps and select
      Default apps
      from the left pane.
    3. Click on Choose default apps by protocol.
    4. Look for HTTP and HTTPS in the list and makes sure that the protocols are associated with
      Internet Explorer.
    5. If you do not see Internet Explorer associated, click on the application name and select
      Internet Explorer from the list.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 10, 2020
  3. esmorax Win User
    Windows 10 Office 365 cannot open files from: recent file list

Thanks for the tip! I followed all above steps.

So far I can open files from the Recent files list when I enter Word itself, however I still am unable to open any documents using the Word icon pinned to the taskbar:

Cannot open Office documents after doing a Windows update [​IMG]

-

esmorax, Jun 10, 2020
  4. AddSub Win User

Cannot open Office documents after doing a Windows update

Open Office

Open Office is nice. Not great, just nice. It is somewhat slower when opening certain types of documents when compared to Office 2003 for example and it requires a bit more resources, RAM-wise. But other than that, I mean, it's free right?

AddSub, Jun 10, 2020
Thema:

Cannot open Office documents after doing a Windows update

1. Cannot open Office documents after doing a Windows update - Similar Threads - Cannot open Office

2. Cannot open Document using newly installed Office software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot open Document using newly installed Office software: Following advice from one of your colleagues Excellent advisor, very helpful I have installed by download a new version of Office. Attempts to use this to open existing documents fails, as it seems it is necessary to activate the software. All attempts passwords, telephone...
  3. Cannot open Document using newly installed Office software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot open Document using newly installed Office software: Following advice from one of your colleagues Excellent advisor, very helpful I have installed by download a new version of Office. Attempts to use this to open existing documents fails, as it seems it is necessary to activate the software. All attempts passwords, telephone...
  4. Cannot open Document using newly installed Office software

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Explorer won't open office documents after upgrade Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer won't open office documents after upgrade Windows 10: I recently installed an upgrade for Windows 10. Following this when I tried to open an Office document either by using the search box or clicking on it in a folder, it would hang. I could open office documents by opening the office program e.g. Word and then searching within...
  6. Cannot open documents on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open documents on Windows 10: I have Windows 10 64 bit which has been running perfectly. Suddenly when I try to open a document the blue circle goes round and nothing else happens. I have tried every document. The only ones I can open are pdf files or if I move them across to Drive. Any advice very...
  7. Office 365 will not open documents with a double-click after a recent update.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Office 365 will not open documents with a double-click after a recent update.: Office 365 will not open documents with a double-click after a recent update. It is inconvenient to open Word and search for a file. Is there a solution?...
  8. "parameter is incorrect" I cannot open Microsoft office apps or documents

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "parameter is incorrect" I cannot open Microsoft office apps or documents: Apps worked fine yesterday. Today when I try to open Excel, Word, or Powerpoint, or any documents for those apps, I get an error message that reads (this one was for Word): C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Office.Desktop.Word_16040.103255.20082.0_x8...\WINWORD.exe...
  9. How do I associate Office 2000 as default to open Office documents

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How do I associate Office 2000 as default to open Office documents: I still use Office 2000 on my machines (judge me!). I have never had a problem installing or using Office 2000 on a prior machine. I successfully installed it, and the Compatibility Pack, on a new Win10 laptop. And I can open (say) Word fine, then open .doc and .docx files...
  10. How do I associate Office 2000 as default to open Office documents

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I associate Office 2000 as default to open Office documents: I still use Office 2000 on my machines (judge me!). I have never had a problem installing or using Office 2000 on a prior machine. I successfully installed it, and the Compatibility Pack, on a new Win10 laptop. And I can open (say) Word fine, then open .doc and .docx files...