Windows 10: Cannot open programs upon searching for them

Discus and support Cannot open programs upon searching for them in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Okay this has been going on for a while and I've dealt with it up until now, but I want to get it fixed just so I don't have to use the back door to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by diedrichvk, May 8, 2016.

1. Cannot open programs upon searching for them

Okay this has been going on for a while and I've dealt with it up until now, but I want to get it fixed just so I don't have to use the back door to initiate a program.

Whenever I search for a program (like cmd, run, control panel), the program shows up in the search results like this:

Cannot open programs upon searching for them [​IMG]

Except that it won't let me open the program by clicking on it. It will, however, open programs like MS Paint for some reason

I've only been able to open Run, Command Prompt, and Control Panel by going to Task manager and entering the process name there.

Am I the only person with this problem?

:)

diedrichvk, May 8, 2016

2. Cannot open all programs from search bar

Hello, my search bar is messed up. It can find the programs I search for just fine. However, it cannot open them when I press enter or click on them. What's really odd is that a few of the default Windows programs will open.

For example, I can open "Calculator" and "Settings" fine in the search bar. But I cannot open "Warthunder"(game) or "Google Chrome."

How can I fix this? Thanks!

SearchIsMessedUp, May 8, 2016
  3. How do I change the drive on which OneDrive stores files?

Now there is an additional problem. OneDrive on my W10 phone will not open properly. It crashes immediately upon opening.

Apparently it cannot be reinstalled on the phone, and because it's crashing, I cannot see the settings in order to reset them in any way.

PaulLowe1954, May 8, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Cannot open programs upon searching for them

Hi.
    I just tried RUN from the search and it opened for me. What happens if you right-click the start button and open from there?

Please fill in your system specs, including the version of W10 you're running. RUN>winver

simrick, May 8, 2016
  5. Win10
    Ver: 1511
    OS Build: 10586.218

diedrichvk, May 8, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Thank you.
    What happens if you right-click the start button and open from there?
    Please fill in system specs.

simrick, May 8, 2016
  7. Sorry just updated

Nothing comes up upon right clicking. I can only left click

diedrichvk, May 8, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

Okay. I would suggest, at this point, a repair install, using an in-place upgrade. Sounds like you've got a few things going on here, and this should fix it.

Are you making images with Macrium or something similar?

UNINSTALL AVAST COMPLETELY, and any system/device monitoring tools (like Speccy).

Download the correct ISO for your system from MSTechBench.
    Right-click the ISO and select MOUNT.
    Run setup.exe.
    Here is the tut, if you'd like to read it. The video is what to expect.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

Let us know how it goes.

simrick, May 8, 2016
  9. Why do I need to Uninstall Avast? Is it not a good Antivirus system? And if so, what would you recommend?

diedrichvk, May 8, 2016
  10. simrick Win User
    I just want it uninstalled for the repair. Avast is very good, and I put it on most of the systems I work on. It just needs to be off for the repair, for precautionary measures.

simrick, May 8, 2016
  11. Alright I've followed the steps and everything seems to be in working order

Hopefully it sticks. If not, I'll consult this thread again

Many thanks

diedrichvk, May 8, 2016
  12. simrick Win User
    Excellent! Glad you've got it sorted. I would make a Macrium image now, in case you find you need to get back to this point in the future. Please mark the thread as solved. If you find you need to re-open it, you can mark it as unsolved in the future. Cheers! *Thumbs

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot open programs upon searching for them - Similar Threads - Cannot open programs

2. Programs crash upon starting them

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs crash upon starting them: Hello, since the morning of last Saturday, most programs (including Zoom, Spotify, Cura, some windows repair tools, etc.) Crash after 3 seconds of running them. I reinstalled windows both from the menu and a usb drive. Nothing changed. Any help possible? submitted by...
  3. Computer automatically restarting upon opening a program

Computer automatically restarting upon opening a program: Hello everyone! I have recently upgraded my computer to an AMD 5800x from an i7 7700k. As soon as I did that my Windows started black screening and restarting anytime I try to open a game or program. I already reinstalled windows and the issue persisted. If anyone has an idea...
  4. Programs close upon sleep

Programs close upon sleep: So whether my pc goes to sleep on it’s own or I set it to sleep, whenever I wake it back up all my programs were closed. I googled, YouTubed, reached out to a tech, etc and tried following everything. I still can find the fix. I just built the pc a couple of days ago. Any...
  5. Crotana Cannot open programs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Crotana Cannot open programs: Hi sir So let me jump to the problem that the crotana is not open any programs by voise and by type ant it always says that "sorry I cannot help with that" for example when is say "open photos" it say the same that "sorry i cannot help with that" please help me it worked in...
  6. Browser search bar does not have focus upon opening

in Windows 10 Customization
    Browser search bar does not have focus upon opening: I got a new PC yesterday. On my old PC, if I right-clicked on a browser icon in my taskbar and selected 'New Window' or 'New InPrivate Window' or 'New Tab' or anything along those lines, upon seeing that window open, I would see the cursor blinking in the search bar and...
  7. cannot install and open a program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot install and open a program: I bought and downloaded a program called : CreateStudio its an animation program but my computer will not open and install the program. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-install-and-open-a-program/acee9b0b-5b48-4d0c-8c00-0650ba930ac0
  8. Windows search finds files but will not open them

in Cortana
    Windows search finds files but will not open them: Windows 10 search finds all the files I am looking for, but when I click on any of them either nothing happens, or if it's a folder, only an Explorer windows opens up to location "This PC". If I restart the search service, it will work properly for a few hours/days, and...
  9. All apps are closing immediately upon opening them.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All apps are closing immediately upon opening them.: All my apps open momentarily and then close. The only exception seems to be the browsers. I can go through file explorer and open the files that way, but not by clicking on the desktop app boxes. I've been looking and have yet to find someone with a similar issue. Any ideas...
  10. cannot click on searched for programs

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot click on searched for programs: Hi, Whenever I search for a program in Start Menu, I cannot click on it. And I cannot right-click on it either. It's stuck like that. Everything else works correctly. For some reason not all programs act like that. For instance, when searching for it, I cannot click on...