Windows 10: Cannot open some files in the photos app

Discus and support Cannot open some files in the photos app in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a bunch of photos from 2015-present that were transferred from my old laptop to my Surface go about a year ago. I've been trying to declutter my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/peebutter, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Cannot open some files in the photos app

I have a bunch of photos from 2015-present that were transferred from my old laptop to my Surface go about a year ago. I've been trying to declutter my photos app and make more space, but the majority of my photos are greyed out and when I click on them it says that "We can't open this file." when I try to delete these greyed out photos, it says that it cant be deleted, and that another app may be using them or that I don't have permission to delete them. Does anyone know how to fix this? and are these unopenable photos taking up space?

submitted by /u/peebutter
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/peebutter, Oct 6, 2020

2. Photos are opening with Paint instead of Photos app

Hello,

It's likely that your default application for opening photos is Paint. To change your default program in Windows 10 from
    Paint to the Photo app, we suggest that you perform the following steps:

• On the Start menu, select Settings.
    • Go to System, then go to Default apps.
    • Select Photos or any app that you like to be the default under
      Photo viewer.

Update us if the steps above helped you in resolving your concern.

Angela Pun, Oct 6, 2020
  3. philc43 Win User
    Open with another app 'photos'

I've just checked my own and for comparison this is what appears when selecting open with for a .jpg photo file:

Cannot open some files in the photos app [​IMG]

If I select an image file which doesn't have associations set such as a GIMP .xcf file I see an open with... and clicking this gets to the alternative windows apps selection box:

I wonder if this gives you a clue to what your missing app should be?

philc43, Oct 6, 2020
  4. iko22 Win User

Cannot open some files in the photos app

How to get rid of raw file support in windows photo viewer?

I have downloaded this, and it did not work; photo viewer is not in the list of programs in Open With or Default App. I used option 2 step 3, followed by step 5 to 9.

iko22, Oct 6, 2020
Thema:

Cannot open some files in the photos app

1. Cannot open some files in the photos app - Similar Threads - Cannot open files

2. Cannot view some photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot view some photos: 1. In my PC1, some images in the file explorer do not have thumbnails and cannot viewed with Windows photos viewer and paint, but edge and vlc works well.2. All images appear normally on other PC, all have thumbnails and can be viewed with Windows photos viewer and paint.Why...
  3. Cannot open photos using Photo app on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot open photos using Photo app on Windows 10: Hello - I cannot access my photos using microsoft Photos app windows 10 the problem appears to be associated with no access to microsoft store at all. I have tried all the fixes recommended but still no joy. Can anyone help - spent all of yesterday trying various ways around...
  4. files opening with vlc and not photos app

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    files opening with vlc and not photos app: subject says it all, i can't right click and open with photos as it aint there https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-opening-with-vlc-and-not-photos-app/35f91b23-5fd3-4456-8666-794f0300c3f0
  5. Photo App says it cannot open.

Photo App says it cannot open.: Photo App states it cannot open. Ways to reinstall the App. If I remove the existing app and reinstall the app will I loose all the currently saved pictures? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-app-says-it-cannot-open/a4cfdfb3-9841-45f5-97c5-2a3f62f24e0a
  6. Photos App issue with opening files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photos App issue with opening files: I can't open files when I click on them, both photos and videos. The error code is 2147163901 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-app-issue-with-opening-files/1dd4afce-733c-45d6-9836-a5cde96e71bf
  7. Cannot open photo's, Apps greyed and cannot System Restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open photo's, Apps greyed and cannot System Restore: Running Windows home v1809 with Defender and Malwarebytes Starting yesterday I found I could not open my photo's with the default photo app, many of the window store apps are greyed. Tried sfc and dism to repair files without joy. Tried SystemRestore with no joy as kept...
  8. Can't open some JPGs with Windows Photos app "We can't open this file"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't open some JPGs with Windows Photos app "We can't open this file": One have one client who can't open JPGs with Windows Photos, in certain circumstances. Her Windows/program/files are OK because I can transfer the same JPGs to my PC and they open I can open the same JPGs if I navigate/open from within the Photos app I can open the same...
  9. cannot open windows photo app or store

cannot open windows photo app or store: this issue with the store and the Photos window app is totally frustrating.....none of the options/assistance helps in any way. As it came with windows 10 there appears to be no way you can resolve this issue......
  10. Photo apps won't open photo files

Photo apps won't open photo files: Out of the blue I can no longer open photo files like PNG, JPG, etc. and don't know when this started. I can select open with Windows Photo Viewer and it will open fine but if I close that file and reopen again I get an error "The app didn't start". Nor can I open any other...