Windows 10: Cannot open task manager, run command prompt as admin, or open installer exe files

Discus and support Cannot open task manager, run command prompt as admin, or open installer exe files in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; A recent update may have caused this, but overall I am not 100% sure. I went to open up Task Manager and when I did the prompt "The code execution... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ImTheKenpachi, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Cannot open task manager, run command prompt as admin, or open installer exe files

A recent update may have caused this, but overall I am not 100% sure. I went to open up Task Manager and when I did the prompt "The code execution cannot proceed because credui.dll was not found." So I went to look up solutions and one was a system scan through opening the command prompt as an administrator. I could open it up normally, but when I did as an administrator this prompt came up "C:\windows\system32\cmb.exe The specified procedure could not be found. I then tried installing a repair tool only to be met with this message when I opened up the setup exe file "The specified procedure could not be found," I then tried installing another exe file online to see if this happened to all exe files. So I installed PPSSPP and when I opened that this came up. "ShellExecutedEx failed; code 127," Though I am unsure if this is because I already have the program installed. I'm not very knowledgeable about this kind of stuff, and it seems every problem I have is blocked because of another problem. I want to avoid reinstalling windows but am completely clueless on what to do.

submitted by /u/ImTheKenpachi
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ImTheKenpachi, Sep 12, 2020
  2. temp02 Win User

.txt will open open in Command Prompt

I miss the Windows XP file association manager, it allowed you to select which of the commands would be executed when you double click a file (open, print, edit, etc...), it was removed since Vista.
    Some good people created the Types application, which you can use to select the default action of the file double click, all you go to do is select the "txt" extension from the list, right mouse click, hit "Properties" and on the "Actions" tab right click "open" command and assign "Default" to it.
    Hopefully this will solve your problems, although I think your PC is probably infected with some kind of malware that will continuously change that setting back, so I also advise installing some anti-virus like MSE or NOD-32 and preform a full scan.
    Good luck.

temp02, Sep 12, 2020
  3. Windows 10 settings, and task manager wont open.

My Command (admin) will not open. Command will not open, task manager will not open. All since upgrade to creator edition yesterday.

Since I CANNOT get to Command prompt (admin) none of the above solution will work, obviously.

what next? format c:\*.*?????

There is a solution out there somewhere, right????

LionelBooth, Sep 12, 2020
  4. Cannot open task manager, run command prompt as admin, or open installer exe files

Exe files can only be opened by "run as administrator"

Hi,

Corrupted registry settings, some third-party products, or viruses can change the default configuration for running .exe files. To rectify the issue with opening this particular file type, we suggest that you follow the steps
    below:

• Right-click on the Start button, then choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    • Type regedit and press Enter.
    • Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe.
    • Double-click (Default) key, then set the Value data to
      exefile.
    • Scroll down to go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command key.
    • Double-click (Default) key, then set the Value data to “%1” %*.
    • Restart your computer.

Update us if it addressed your issue.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Sep 12, 2020
Thema:

Cannot open task manager, run command prompt as admin, or open installer exe files

1. Cannot open task manager, run command prompt as admin, or open installer exe files - Similar Threads - Cannot open task

2. I can't open notepad, task manager and command prompt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't open notepad, task manager and command prompt: Can you guys help me with the .LNK files?i only got these files in Registery EditorPlease help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-open-notepad-task-manager-and-command/732e7628-6e52-438c-a25c-986fcdd02e1f
  3. I can't open notepad, task manager and command prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't open notepad, task manager and command prompt: Can you guys help me with the .LNK files?i only got these files in Registery EditorPlease help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-open-notepad-task-manager-and-command/732e7628-6e52-438c-a25c-986fcdd02e1f
  4. I can't open notepad, task manager and command prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Open VBS file with admin command prompt context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open VBS file with admin command prompt context menu: @Brink VBS files have, by default, a context menu to Open with command prompt. I would like to add an additional option to Open with command prompt as admin. The command to open VBS files, standard privileges, is something like Code: cmd.exe...
  6. All .exe files opening in Blender, including the command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    All .exe files opening in Blender, including the command prompt: I was using Blender for a project, and I tried opening its own file type in it, which is .blend, but it wasn't associated with that application. So I went to a .blend file's properties, and choose the app blender.exe for it to be opened in. Guess what, every program's icon...
  7. I cannot open some exe files as well as cmd prompt and task manager or registry editor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I cannot open some exe files as well as cmd prompt and task manager or registry editor: My windows version is 1903 and its a self built system. Please help me Ive tried countless things. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-open-some-exe-files-as-well-as-cmd-prompt/43ea5d99-664b-4531-88c8-a253c3b403bf
  8. regedit,command prompt & .exe files does not open

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    regedit,command prompt & .exe files does not open: regedit, command prompt does not show run as administrator option and also does not open any .exe files on my windows 10 laptop.it says to look for an app in Microsoft store....
  9. Can't run command prompt as admin... Even when opening as admin.

Can't run command prompt as admin... Even when opening as admin.: To keep my problem succinct: [ATTACH] Click "yes" on the security pop up (doesn't ask for my password, this is the only account on this laptop). Try to type in command I want to do, get this: [ATTACH] ... Just wanted to know why my network adapter keeps crashing every...
  10. Cannot run any programs in admin mode and cannot open task manager

Cannot run any programs in admin mode and cannot open task manager: Hi. I have a PC with Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit installed. (Ver. 10.0.17134) Ever since a forceful shutdown due to a freeze, I have been experiencing the following issues: Any program that I try to run on admin mode gives the error:"Windows cannot find...