Windows 10: Cannot Open the file because the file path is more than 218 characters

Discus and support Cannot Open the file because the file path is more than 218 characters in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi All, Do we have any solution for this issue? Cannot Open the file because the file path is more than 218 characters. We are unable to open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mani Sam, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Mani Sam Win User

Cannot Open the file because the file path is more than 218 characters

Hi All,

Do we have any solution for this issue?

Cannot Open the file because the file path is more than 218 characters.

We are unable to open any files from the long shared path in Windows 10 and Windows 2012 server. We tried below options to resolve this problem but still same issue.

Fix 1 - Updating Registry Key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem - “LongPathsEnabled” Value Changing 0 to 1

Fix 2 – Local Group Policy Update

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Filesystem - Enable Win32 long path Enabled

Fix 3 – Enable disable8dot3 on volume

https://www.pelegit.co.il/enable-long-path-windows-server-2016/

Please let me know if we have any other fix for this issue other than below.

• Rename the file so that it has a shorter name.
    • Rename one or more folders that contain the file so that they have shorter names.
    • Move the file to a folder with a shorter path name.

Thanks,

Mani L

:)

Mani Sam, Jan 29, 2020
  2. adnanj85 Win User

SharePoint: Windows File Path Limit

I have found that syncing folders to SharePoint one-drive limits the file path character limit to 218 characters and it counts "space" as equal to 3 characters, encoded to %20. Please confirm if any other special character is encoded and will be taking more
    space which eventually means the actual path is less than 218 characters.

Other Info:

Office 365/SharePoint Online.

One-Drive: Build 18.151.0729.0012

adnanj85, Jan 29, 2020
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Jan 29, 2020
  4. Ketxxx Win User

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Jan 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Cannot Open the file because the file path is more than 218 characters - Similar Threads - Cannot Open file

2. "the file cannot be opened because the device is in use..."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "the file cannot be opened because the device is in use...": Hi I'm unable to view a lot of photos from my phone on my PC and get a "the file cannot be opened because the device is in use. For a better experience copy the files to your pc or import them using the photos app".I'm using a new pc - less than 6 months old - with Windows 11...
  3. "the file cannot be opened because the device is in use..."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "the file cannot be opened because the device is in use...": Hi I'm unable to view a lot of photos from my phone on my PC and get a "the file cannot be opened because the device is in use. For a better experience copy the files to your pc or import them using the photos app".I'm using a new pc - less than 6 months old - with Windows 11...
  4. STILL no file paths longer than 260 characters in Windows Explorer, in 2023?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    STILL no file paths longer than 260 characters in Windows Explorer, in 2023?: STILL no file paths longer than 260 characters in Windows Explorer, in 2023? It's a kind of Windows 3.0 problem and still exist! How to force Microsoft to fix it?...
  5. STILL no file paths longer than 260 characters in Windows Explorer, in 2023?

STILL no file paths longer than 260 characters in Windows Explorer, in 2023?: STILL no file paths longer than 260 characters in Windows Explorer, in 2023? It's a kind of Windows 3.0 problem and still exist! How to force Microsoft to fix it?...
  6. STILL no file paths longer than 260 characters in Windows Explorer, in 2023?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. When is Microsoft going to increase the number of characters in a path length to more than...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    When is Microsoft going to increase the number of characters in a path length to more than...: Especially with legacy paths migrated to new systems involving thousands of files. Its too much to expect busy people to rename and reorganise....
  8. When is Microsoft going to increase the number of characters in a path length to more than...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When is Microsoft going to increase the number of characters in a path length to more than...: Especially with legacy paths migrated to new systems involving thousands of files. Its too much to expect busy people to rename and reorganise....
  9. When is Microsoft going to increase the number of characters in a path length to more than...

10. Can Wiin10 have a path and file name longer than 256 characters?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can Wiin10 have a path and file name longer than 256 characters?: I was under the impression that this was a feature that was added to one of the updates on Windows 10. Enable long file name support in Windows 10 | IT Pro How come I'm still gettng an error when copying a file deep down a directory path to another drive? eg. copy...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot open the file because the file path is more than 218 characters

2. Cannot open the file because the file path is more than 218 characters.

3. cant open the file because the path is more

4. cannot open the file because the path,
  5. cannot open the file because the path is more than 218 characters,
  6. cannot open this file because the file path is more than 218 characters