Windows 10: Cannot open the search bar after removing files in $WINDOWS.~BT

Discus and support Cannot open the search bar after removing files in $WINDOWS.~BT in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Greetings, Please bear with me as I explain the whole situation. All of my actions seem to have lead to the current issue, therefore it is important... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AlexandruSeinedin, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Cannot open the search bar after removing files in $WINDOWS.~BT

Greetings,

Please bear with me as I explain the whole situation. All of my actions seem to have lead to the current issue, therefore it is important that I clarify everything I did.

Recently I have attempted to delete the $WINDOWS.~BT folder after noticing how its size is well over 20 GB and every source on the internet I had came across said it is a temporary folder safe to delete. I attempted to remove several files from this folder as I couldn't delete it traditionally (I required admin permissions which I did not seem to have, even though I am using the admin account).

Currently I only have the NewOS folder inside it and deleted everything else (although the size seems to be the same). Other than that, I changed its proprieties by giving full control to SYSTEM in the Security tab, thinking those were the required permissions to delete the folder.

The situation at hand is that after deleting those files (yes, from Recycle Bin too), I cannot open the search bar anymore, nor can I right click the windows logo in the corner. If I click the search icon, nothing happens. If I left click the menu button, my cursor moves diagonally and that's all. Right click works fine and this doesn't seem to be related to the taskbar itself, as I can left click the taskbar and it works as it should.

Here's a GIF so you can see exactly what I am talking about.

GIF from Gyazo

Other than that, I have noticed that I cannot open Firefox normally either. I have to run it as administrator in order to open it.

Attempted fixes:

• Restarting Windows Explorer from taskbar.
    • Restarting Windows Search service.
    • Changing Windows Search service proprieties so that it restarts automatically, without delay.
    • Troubleshooting Search and Indexing (no results)
    • Using System File Checker (sfc /scannow) - It said there are some corrupt files that cannot be fixed.
    • Troubleshooting from the Windows Security window. The problem detected there was "moved location for temporary internet files" and it said fixed.
    • Rebuilt the Windows 10 search indexing options.
    • Restarting device.

What is left to do? Hopefully I do not have to reinstall windows because I don't know my activation key anymore and I think I can only use it once? (I am not familiar with how it works, nor if I can re-use it).

Thank you for your time and for your help,
    - Alex

:)

AlexandruSeinedin, Sep 1, 2019

2. How to clear the search record at the search bar on Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience happened. We are glad to help you.

Please share this:

• Which search bar are you referring to?

• Is it the search bar in file explorer or the search bar on desktop (cortana and search)?
    If you are referring to the search bar in file explorer, I suggest you to follow the steps given below and check if it helps:
    (to delete a specific entry)

• Open File Explorer.

• Click/tap inside the Search box, then select (highlight) the search suggestion (ex:
      ttt) that you want to delete, and press the Delete key.

• You will not notice that it has been deleted.

• Repeat if you would like to delete another one.

To clear all search entries, follow this:

• Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, then
      run it.

Clear_Search_History_in_File_Explorer.bat

2. If prompted, click/tap on Run.

NOTE: If you like, you can stop getting the Run prompt by
    unblocking

the downloaded .bat file

3. You will now notice a command prompt quickly open and close while applying the changes to your registry.

Hope this information helps. Feel free to get back to us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks and regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Sep 1, 2019
  3. Geethu B Win User
    Removing a search Bar

Hi Dave,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I will surely help you.

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • Did it appear after performing any particular function?

You may try to uninstall the search bar and check if it helps. To uninstall the
    search bar follow these steps:

• Right-click on
      Start Button and click on Programs and Features.

• Right-click on the
      search bar and click on Uninstall.
    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Sep 1, 2019
  4. duckvenom Win User

Cannot open the search bar after removing files in $WINDOWS.~BT

Cortana/search bar not opening

I'm unsure how to bring up the command prompt without the search. I do not see the CMD option in complete list and of course the search bar is what we're troubleshooting.

duckvenom, Sep 1, 2019
Thema:

Cannot open the search bar after removing files in $WINDOWS.~BT

1. Cannot open the search bar after removing files in $WINDOWS.~BT - Similar Threads - Cannot open search

2. Can't remove malware search bar

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't remove malware search bar: I've uploaded an attachment of a picture of the bad app. I can't seem to remove it by standard uninstallation procedures. 140100
  3. Search the web task bar removal

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search the web task bar removal: I am trying to get rid of the search the web toolbar at the top of my screen, nothing that is on the web about this works for me. Can you help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-the-web-task-bar-removal/9d2a2fec-756b-46a9-838e-8c16c3134783
  4. unable to open settings from windows search bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    unable to open settings from windows search bar: Problem: i'm unable to open the setting options from the search bar (while apps works fine) , as soon as i click on it nothing append, no error message, nothing at all, should be something realted to cortana or the name of the user which was changed. Version: windows 10...
  5. Cannot Open A File After Moving It

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Open A File After Moving It: At the office, I created an excel file in my PC, then I created a shortcut (C:\Oka\Documents\) of the file to the desktop. After using the file for some days, I moved this file to a flash drive. At the office I can open the file from the flash drive. At home, I cannot open...
  6. Remove Firefox Search Bar

in Browsers and Email
    Remove Firefox Search Bar: I didn't like the Firefox Search Bar. I rarely used it. It takes up valuable real estate that can be used by other ADD-ONS Icons. I Just do my searches directly in Bing or Google. To remove the Firefox Search Bar (this actually just moves it and stores it away, you can...
  7. cannot get rid of search bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot get rid of search bar: Hi, can someone please tell me how to get rid of this search bar at the top of my screen? it is driving me crazy and doesnt hide when i watch full screen!! [img] 46807
  8. Cannot open volume bar or search feature

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot open volume bar or search feature: Hi folks upgraded win ten on the 29th no problems , everything worked shmick Now all the sudden when i want to change the volume on the taskbar it wont open , I used to be able to right click on volume and it would open with a slider bar now i have to right click to open...
  9. Remove the $windows.~BT and windows.old directories

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Remove the $windows.~BT and windows.old directories: Hi It is possible to remove the $windows.~BT and windows.old directories using the installation DVD of Windows 10 or using its advanced startup options via them Command Prompt? If so, how I do this? Thanks Bye 77631
  10. Remove/Move/Resize the "Start search" bar

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove/Move/Resize the "Start search" bar: I'm sure it's just a thing with the preview, but to be perfectly honest, I never used Win8 after the initial dev release, so it's entirely possible this was something I would have hated in Win8 as well. [img] Basically, the search is covering up the ability to click...