Windows 10: cannot open user folder from my previous ssd

Discus and support cannot open user folder from my previous ssd in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi ! I bought a new computer and an adapter from SSD to USB so I can transfer the files from the ssd of my previous computer to my new one. I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by teisseire, May 4, 2019.

1. teisseire Win User

cannot open user folder from my previous ssd

Hi !

I bought a new computer and an adapter from SSD to USB so I can transfer the files from the ssd of my previous computer to my new one.

I can access to everything on this old ssd except the most important, the user folder. Where 90% of my data is.

I do not get an error message, it just doesn't do anything when I try to open it.

I tried to change ownership from properties > security > advanced, then used the feature " “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” "

Nothing... I tried to analyze the folder with malwarebyte, and apparently malwarebytes can see the files inside(It tells all files names it analyzes).

I don't know what to do since I get 0 error messages :/

Thank you for help !

:)

teisseire, May 4, 2019

2. User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, May 4, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    Moving the USERS folder

Sysprep (Windows System Preparation Tool) is the native built-in Windows tool that does the job in this procedure, getting instructions about what it is expected to do from a script called Answer File.

If you have external storage available for backing up your personal data, the easiest way is to copy your files to external storage.

I edited my previous post, making the list in it numbered. Check that list: In step 1 you can copy your files to external storage instead of making a new partition on your hard disk. In step 7 you can either remove all partitions and create new ones or simply format existing partitions and use them. In step 9 you can copy your personal data from external storage to your new user folders. You can then forget the step 10.

These tutorials are from our sister site the Seven Forums but they apply to Windows 10, too:

Kari, May 4, 2019
  4. cannot open user folder from my previous ssd

Setting New Location Of User Folder to another User Folder

Hi Renee,

Having an easy access to the Desktop folder can give you a convenience on opening your files. Regarding your concern about the Desktop folder that was moved to the Downloads section, we recommend that you create a new local user or administrator account to
    resolve the issue.

To create a local user or administrator account, follow the steps listed on this
    link

In addition, to move your files from the Downloads folder back to the Desktop folder, we suggest that you manually copy and paste the files to avoid any data loss.

Feel free to post back if you need more help.

Eileen Gal, May 4, 2019
Thema:

cannot open user folder from my previous ssd

1. cannot open user folder from my previous ssd - Similar Threads - cannot open user

2. Files copied from previous OneDrive cannot be opened

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files copied from previous OneDrive cannot be opened: The contents of a OneDrive folder were copied from an older computer to the local drive of a new computer. The files are there, not shortcuts, and have various file sizes like they should but the icon has a grey x in the bottom left of the file icon and when the file is...
  3. Files copied from previous OneDrive cannot be opened

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files copied from previous OneDrive cannot be opened: The contents of a OneDrive folder were copied from an older computer to the local drive of a new computer. The files are there, not shortcuts, and have various file sizes like they should but the icon has a grey x in the bottom left of the file icon and when the file is...
  4. Files copied from previous OneDrive cannot be opened

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot delete WindowsApps folder from a previous system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete WindowsApps folder from a previous system: I cannot delete WindowsApps folder that was being used by a Windows 10 system I believe?. The hard drive has been moved to my new PC.I've tried taking control over the folder through permissions and added myself, all users and even "everyone" with full control and it also...
  6. Cannot delete WindowsApps folder from a previous system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot delete WindowsApps folder from a previous system: I cannot delete WindowsApps folder that was being used by a Windows 10 system I believe?. The hard drive has been moved to my new PC.I've tried taking control over the folder through permissions and added myself, all users and even "everyone" with full control and it also...
  7. Cannot install apps from previous HDD onto new SSD

Cannot install apps from previous HDD onto new SSD: So I've been dealing with this problem for months and cannot figure out how to fix it. I replaced my old HDD with a new SSD and wanted to make it a clean slate, so I did not transfer over my files from the HDD to the SSD. However, now I'm getting all kinds of errors when I...
  8. Moving User folder from SSD to HDD

Moving User folder from SSD to HDD: Hi, I'm trying to move my User folder from the SSD to the HDD but when I open the folder properties to do it, the "location" tab isn't present. Is there an easy fix for this? TIA...
  9. Help with User data folder left from previous laptop owner

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with User data folder left from previous laptop owner: Hi I hope someone can help me .. I had a laptop, on which the main SSD drive died...for reasons I cannot go into we needed to replace the laptop shell with a used one.. and then just add new SSD disk. We had the replacment drive fitted by professional, it was supposed to be...
  10. Relocation of User Profile Folders from SSD to HDD

Relocation of User Profile Folders from SSD to HDD: I have just recently purchased an HP Pavilion 590-p0054 DT PC from Best Buy with a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD; currently, I’m using the Toshiba 4TB HDD on the PC. Frankly, a few of my personal files would get saved up to the SSD. So, what’s the best way of relocating those...