Windows 10: Cannot open Windows 10 Settings - ImmersiveControlPanel repair/rebuild

Discus and support Cannot open Windows 10 Settings - ImmersiveControlPanel repair/rebuild in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Issue: Cannot open settings app in Windows 10 - corrupt ImmersiveControlPanel repair/rebuild: What fixed my settings app incase of "TL-DR":... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PogmaN, Jan 25, 2016.

1. PogmaN Win User

Cannot open Windows 10 Settings - ImmersiveControlPanel repair/rebuild

Issue: Cannot open settings app in Windows 10 - corrupt ImmersiveControlPanel repair/rebuild:

What fixed my settings app incase of "TL-DR":

Folder Location: C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\

Running cmd as admin:
    From C:\cd Windows
    rename ImmersiveControlPanel ImmersiveControlPanel.old
    SFC /scannow
    SFC will rebuild ImmersiveControlPanel.

Settings was working immediately after.

Hello everyone,
    My Windows 10 install was suffering from this issue for some time. I finally decided to try and work out a fix since it's a public holiday and I have time. This issue was annoying but since It only really affected the settings app I left it in the "I'll get to it later" basket, A typical self employed tech with no time for their own computers. Other functions like apps, appstore and start menu in Windows were unaffected.

Being a computer tech it frustrated me not being able to find any info on what fixed this in the end for me. I am sure this info is out there somewhere but I could not find it. I've decided to post this here so it can benefit someone just like me when trying to find a solution to this obscure problem.

The only persistent Windows 10 issue I've come across where I couldn't justify a fresh install was on my own computer. No firm idea on what caused it, But I suspect it likely would have cropped up about the time when I had a few random graphics driver crashes and BSOD (nvidia fixed this in the next driver). That was a few months ago (october-november) and that was when I last remembered my settings app was working fine.

My symptoms:
    • Cannot open Settings from Start Menu (Will flash on screen then close - No useful info in event manager)
    • Cannot open Settings from shortcut (If manually created)
    • When opening other functions to do with settings would get errors refering to ms-settings for example on display settings:

"ms-settting:display This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel"

• No issue with start menu or the opening of other apps (not related to settings) including app store
    • Could browse and install/open new apps
    • While this issue persisted Windows updates were not able to download or install
    • Windows was stuck on build 10240 - Could not install 1511 update

Any other function that relied on the Settings app would not work - for example*Biggrinisplay settings

• Personalisation settings
    • Lockscreen settings
    • Windows update (for me)
    • etc

Fixes that I have tried:
    • CHKDSK /F and /R from within Windows and Live CDs (Only minor issues found)
    • SFC /Scannow (Before my fix in the end it did not fix anything)
    • System Restore
    • Tried the powershell Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} fix
    • Tried the DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth fix
    • Create a new user
    • Could not upgrade with 1511 Windows disc

The fixes that did not fix my issue above may still have enabled my fix to be successful later however.

Anyway, If anyone has an issue similar hopefully this is helpful for them in some way. Hopefully this issue will become searchable now. I'm sure that I am not the only person to have had this although I have only ever seen this on my own computer. Perhaps I am the only one?

Cheers

:)

PogmaN, Jan 25, 2016
  2. xAnkris Win User

Windows 10 Settings app doesn't open

Hello.

Yesterday I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (with a ISO downloaded from the MS tool) but I cannot open the settings app. I've tried the app troubleshoter, sfc, installing KB3081424 (which I can't
    because it's for a older build), tried
    this
    , tried disabling WDefender. But nothing helped nor fixed anything.

Here's the
    log on pastebin
    taken from Event Viewer.

Cheers.

xAnkris, Jan 25, 2016
  3. PC Setting Won't Opened Windows 10 Repaired !

I will tell u if u PC Setting Win 10 Wont open.

1. open folder location :

C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel

2.download this
    file

3.Copy Replace the downloaded file into C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\

it so simple brother.

AmarsjahPutra, Jan 25, 2016
  4. Cannot open Windows 10 Settings - ImmersiveControlPanel repair/rebuild

This worked perfectly! After trying absolutely everything else and having no luck what so ever I'm incredibly grateful for your help!

JimJaspers, Jul 11, 2016
  5. dcross71 Win User
    PogmaN suggestion to RENAME IMMERSIVECONTROLPANEL/SFC SCAN worked perfectly, after months of troubleshooting. The issue was on a Surfacepro 4 everytime they Docked or UNDOCKED.

dcross71, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cannot open Windows 10 Settings - ImmersiveControlPanel repair/rebuild

1. Cannot open Windows 10 Settings - ImmersiveControlPanel repair/rebuild - Similar Threads - Cannot open Settings

2. Repair user profile without rebuilding it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repair user profile without rebuilding it: It is possible to repair a User Profile in Windows 10 without rebuilding it from scratch? My Windows search, calculator, sticky notes along with the Windows button in Taskbar on mysecond monitor all stopped working. MY IT deparment wants to rebuild my profile but that is very...
  3. Repair user profile without rebuilding it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repair user profile without rebuilding it: It is possible to repair a User Profile in Windows 10 without rebuilding it from scratch? My Windows search, calculator, sticky notes along with the Windows button in Taskbar on mysecond monitor all stopped working. MY IT deparment wants to rebuild my profile but that is very...
  4. Cannot rebuild index

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot rebuild index: I'm trying to rebuild the search and index on my Windows 10 PC but it keeps pausing itself.I've tried the search and index troubleshooter to no avail.I've tried restarting Windows Search, which does unpause it, but it automatically repauses in 1-2 seconds.How do I rebuild my...
  5. Cannot rebuild index

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot rebuild index: I'm trying to rebuild the search and index on my Windows 10 PC but it keeps pausing itself.I've tried the search and index troubleshooter to no avail.I've tried restarting Windows Search, which does unpause it, but it automatically repauses in 1-2 seconds.How do I rebuild my...
  6. Cannot rebuild index

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. cannot open windows 10 setting

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot open windows 10 setting: how to fix seeting that cannot be opened? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-windows-10-setting/092e34a8-09db-45ec-aec1-8ee41d9dcfdf
  8. cannot open settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot open settings in Windows 10: When I click on the Settings icon nothing happens. How do I get Settings to open? thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-settings-in-windows-10/88b2b190-4090-44ef-a715-5b6162065d91
  9. How to repair or rebuild the WMI Repository on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to repair or rebuild the WMI Repository on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Many a time the WMI Repository gets corrupted which results in Provider Load Failure. In this guide, we will share how to repair or rebuild the WMI Repository on Windows 10. Those who aren’t aware, Windows Management Instrumentation or WMI is a [...] This...
  10. Cannot open Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot open Settings in Windows 10: Just upgraded. However, I just cannot get Settings to open. On clicking, a window opens and then disappers. Anybody who can help, please? Edge also does not work. Type in a URL and I get "This page is having a problem loading". 12945

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 immersive control panel

2. immersive control panel windows 10

3. surfacepro cannot open setting