Windows 10: Cannot open Windows Update Window / Graphical Glitches

Discus and support Cannot open Windows Update Window / Graphical Glitches in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all! I've got two new problems with Windows on my laptop. First off - When running any kind of video that is in Chrome (Only browser that I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tastypotato, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Cannot open Windows Update Window / Graphical Glitches

Hello all! I've got two new problems with Windows on my laptop.

First off - When running any kind of video that is in Chrome (Only browser that I've tested so far) or in MPlayerClassic my graphics driver continuously crashes and makes some really cool glitches. When it's not full screen it'll show black blocks all over the place and then when I have the video full screened it looks like the image is being projected at a 45 degree angle from the bottom left of the screen. It's kind of hard to describe so I've included a video:
    YouTube

Cannot open Windows Update Window / Graphical Glitches [​IMG]

The second problem I'm having is I cannot open the Windows Update window, nor any privacy window. I tried setting up Cortana but when it gets to be time to set the location you click settings, a white window flashes and then disappears.

System Specs:
    ASUS G53 Laptop
    Intel i7 Q740
    Nvidia GTX460M

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

tastypotato, Aug 5, 2015

2. Graphical glitches in Windows 10

Hi,

To better assist you, please provide the following information:

• When did you start experiencing this issue?
    • Does this issue occurs in all the apps or programs that you open?
    • Have you already updated the graphics driver from the manufacturer's website?

Regards.

Rachelle Gra, Aug 5, 2015
  3. March 2018: Graphical glitches after installing latest Windows 10 updates on my laptop (problem with Intel HD graphics drivers)

Hi Greg,

I will try explain a bit better the error that I get and how do I get there.

When I access the command prompt from the advanced options in the recovery system the starting screen looks has this written:

"X:\Windows\System32>"

I am trying to write the instruction that you gave me on top of that (I do not know how else to do it) which means it is like this:

"X:\Windows\System32>dism/online/get-packages"

And it gives me the following:

"Error: 87

Option offline/get-packages unknown.

For more information, run DISM.exe /? to see the help.

The registry file of DISM is located at X:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log"

I have tried changing the instruction to the offline version so: "X:\Windows\System32>dism/offline/get-packages" but it produces the same error.

It is probably something simple that I am omitting, as I said I am not good with command prompt.

Thank you for your help!

Marc_Lemon, Aug 5, 2015
  4. Cannot open Windows Update Window / Graphical Glitches

Okay - managed to figure out the first one. Only took me about three hours of Googling around. Apparently the "Setting" application also was not opening, which is where the update and privacy settings are located (I'm used to them being in their own little areas like Windows 7)

It can be fixed with a hotfix that Microsoft has provided here: Settings doesnt launch, or launches the Store instead - Microsoft Community

Apparently there is an update KB3081424 that will fix the issue, but if you cannot open Windows Update how the hell are you supposed to get it. :| I hope they figure out a way to get this patch to the technically illiterate, otherwise there are going to be a ton of Windows 10 machines out there not getting updates.

Still don't have a solution to the graphical glitches. Rebooting the machine seems to fix it temporarily, but after a couple of minutes it'll start happening again.

tastypotato, Aug 5, 2015
Thema:

Cannot open Windows Update Window / Graphical Glitches

1. Cannot open Windows Update Window / Graphical Glitches - Similar Threads - Cannot open Update

2. Graphics and resolution glitch after Windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Graphics and resolution glitch after Windows 11 update: Shortly after updating, I noticed a problem with my pc. I was downloading a game while watching YouTube and the YouTube video quality was really bad, which I assumed was just an issue with the internet since I was downloading something. Except the internet browser was not the...
  3. Graphics and resolution glitch after Windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Graphics and resolution glitch after Windows 11 update: Shortly after updating, I noticed a problem with my pc. I was downloading a game while watching YouTube and the YouTube video quality was really bad, which I assumed was just an issue with the internet since I was downloading something. Except the internet browser was not the...
  4. Taskbar Graphic Glitch

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Graphic Glitch: Hi folks,So I've been having this issue for a couple of weeks now and just expecting it to go away by itself but now it's worse than it was to begin with. As you can see from the attached photos, there seems to be a strange graphic glitch at the bottom of my screen. Sometimes...
  5. Intel HD graphics: glitched window

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Intel HD graphics: glitched window: Hi everyone, I had that problem three days ago, I don't know why I just turned my PC on , I opened the Intel hd graphics window and I found it broken. I can't change the settings or the resolution cuz all the options are hidden. How? I don't know how. Please I need your...
  6. Graphics and audio glitches after windows update forced shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Graphics and audio glitches after windows update forced shutdown: February 16, 2021 There was an update for my windows I waited for almost an hour and it got stuck on the windows update screen. I then decided to forced shutdown the computer. after a day I opened the PC again and booted up Valorant to my surprise there was a static coming...
  7. Weird graphical glitch

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Weird graphical glitch: I'm getting these weird white dots on some applications I use and I don't know what is happening. Any advice?[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weird-graphical-glitch/b76a0936-50a1-4a54-a374-18d3bc20ebc0
  8. Weird graphical glitch

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird graphical glitch: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/KevinBowser007 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hhmmdy/weird_graphical_glitch/
  9. Taskbar graphical glitch

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar graphical glitch: [IMG] taskview and cortana icon has a graphical glitch on second monitor when you show/hide cortana or taskview in windows 10 version 2004. Anyone else? https://preview.redd.it/xezoj0ki5r351.png?width=661&format=png&auto=webp&s=0d8a0962e0e0139f7878cb74615d5e968424bb55...
  10. Graphical and sound glitches

in Windows 10 Support
    Graphical and sound glitches: Basically my laptop does a bunch of weird graphical gitches on screen, like a few lines out of place or something. But sometimes it will be much worse as in the case of trying to watch a youtube video (see video link). Also when listening to music on headphones the sound...