Windows 10: Cannot open Word documents in Windows 10

Discus and support Cannot open Word documents in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Have recently been unable to open Word docs. When double click on file, nothing happens, and no error message shows. I currently have one open Word... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by HaFin, May 1, 2020.

1. HaFin Win User

Cannot open Word documents in Windows 10

Have recently been unable to open Word docs. When double click on file, nothing happens, and no error message shows.

I currently have one open Word doc on my desktop

Would appreciate advice....thanks

Harry

:)

HaFin, May 1, 2020

2. Word and Excel documents are slow to open in Windows 10

Have the same problem, here are my conditions:

- Windows 10 Professional x64.

- Office 2007 Ultimate.

- Opening Word and Excel documents is slow when Word/Excel not currently open/running.

- Opening the Word/Excel document with Word/Excel already open is fast/normal.

Solution is the same as reported:

1) Disable Cortana.

2) Restart Windows.

Step 2 is very important.

wayne_9901, May 1, 2020
  3. Opening Word documents after upgrade to Windows 10

Upgraded to Windows 10 without issue but cannot open Word documents attached to mails. Any suggestions?

Spencer W. Sullivan, May 1, 2020
  4. Nath Bea Win User

Wrong "remove from list" document on word mobile.

Hi,

To further assist you with your concern about re-enabling files that were removed from the Recent Documents List in Word, we suggest to follow this steps:

• Click the FILE tab in the program.
    • Click Options from the list on the left side of the screen.
    • On the Word Options dialog box, click Advanced in the list of options on the left.
    • On the Advanced screen, scroll down to the Display section. Select the value in the Show this number of Recent Documents edit box. You can choose to change the value to 0 to disable the list.
    • When you open Word, or select the Open option in the program, there are no documents in your Recent Documents list.
    • To re-enable the list, go back into the Word Options dialog box and enter the desired value (from 0 to 50, inclusive) in the Show this number of Recent Documents edit box on the Advanced screen. If any documents were previously displayed in the Recent Documents
      list, they are added to the list again.

We're just here if you have further questions.

Regards.

Nath Bea, May 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Cannot open Word documents in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Cannot open Word

2. Cannot Open Word or Excel Documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Open Word or Excel Documents: Hi,I can't open Word or Excel files in File Explorer. I don't get any kind of error message. It just clocks and when I click the upper right corner 'x' to close file explorer it puts not responding on the file explorer bar.I can open ,pdf and .jpeg files.Is anyone else having...
  3. Cannot Open Word or Excel Documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Open Word or Excel Documents: Hi,I can't open Word or Excel files in File Explorer. I don't get any kind of error message. It just clocks and when I click the upper right corner 'x' to close file explorer it puts not responding on the file explorer bar.I can open ,pdf and .jpeg files.Is anyone else having...
  4. Cannot Open Word or Excel Documents

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Word Document Error - Cannot open file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Word Document Error - Cannot open file: Hi Guys,My husband has been working on a file for work for a few days that he saved to the desktop. Unfortunately this morning after a computer update the file now will no longer open and is showing the following message.He has Windows 11 and I have tried to:1.uninstall the...
  6. Word Document Error - Cannot open file

Word Document Error - Cannot open file: Hi Guys,My husband has been working on a file for work for a few days that he saved to the desktop. Unfortunately this morning after a computer update the file now will no longer open and is showing the following message.He has Windows 11 and I have tried to:1.uninstall the...
  7. word document will not open

word document will not open: I cannot open a word document and this is the following message I get. I have tried some strategies suggested online for this particular error message, but I'm hoping there are other helps. Thank you....
  8. Cannot open word documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open word documents: When I try to open a word document in a file, the circular blue buffering symbol replaces my cursor and the folder grays out and "Not Responding" appears next to the folder name. The file never opens and I have to close out of the folder. I have no problem opening pdfs, excel...
  9. Cannot open Word nor any Word documents

Cannot open Word nor any Word documents: Trying to open Word Microsoft 10 or any Word document, Pop-up says Office is updating. Then error message that reads "The application was unable to start correctly. 0xc0000142 Click ok to close transaction. Cannot access Word or any word document. Help!...
  10. I cannot open Word documents

I cannot open Word documents: My OS is Windows 10 and I have recently installed Office 365 but I cannot open either a new document docx or one attached to an email . While an error message sometimes appears it disappears off the screen before I can read it. Any suggestions as to what's going on and how to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. version of word document shows but when i try to open it says doc cannot be found

2. unable to open word documents windows 10