Windows 10: Cannot open zip files

Discus and support Cannot open zip files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I've read some other posts, and tried some of the solutions and it still hasn't brought me closer to opening a zip file. I have Windows 10 Home.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Staceyy, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Staceyy Win User

Cannot open zip files

So I've read some other posts, and tried some of the solutions and it still hasn't brought me closer to opening a zip file.

I have Windows 10 Home. Not sure what else would be pertinent to include, but let me know if there is something.

I have made sure my Windows is completely updated. Ran MCT to make sure.

Downloaded the Windows Update Troubleshooter. It found some problems, fixed them ran it again to be sure.

Made sure I had the most recent SSU.

I tried running DSIM, and it failed. Lots of:

[7860] [0x8007007b] FIOReadFileIntoBuffer:1381: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
    [7860] [0xc142011c] UnmarshallImageHandleFromDirectory:641
    [7860] [0xc142011c] WIMGetMountedImageHandle:2897
    [7860] [0x8007007b] FIOReadFileIntoBuffer:1381: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
    [7860] [0xc142011c] UnmarshallImageHandleFromDirectory:641
    [7860] [0xc142011c] WIMGetMountedImageHandle:2897

I googled the 0x8007007b error code. Followed a guide to make sure my Windows key was activated and set to my computer. It is. Still cannot open zip files.

Ran SFC. It said "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

The next step seem to be a clean install? I'd really prefer if I didn't have to. Please help.

:)

Staceyy, Dec 20, 2019
  2. Arul_D Win User

.zip can't be set to File Explorer

Hello Kathleen,

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Type Default programs
      in the search bar and press enter

• Click on choose default programs by file type

• Select .zip
      and select File Explorer
    Also you can visit the below link Zip and unzip files.
    (Steps applies to Windows 10).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/zip-unzip-files

Hope this helps. Post us with status we will be glad to help you.

Arul_D, Dec 20, 2019
  3. scooby Win User
    Can't open Zip Files

When I click a zip file all the options are grayed out. If I right click I do not have an Extract option. If I click Send to Compressed (Zip ) folder it makes another copy in the same folder. What is the next step? How do I open zip this?
    Thank you

Cannot open zip files [​IMG]

scooby, Dec 20, 2019
  4. Cannot open zip files

cant open zip files without saving first

When i get an attachment via email like a zip file i cant just open the file from the email i have to save and then open, i have tried the reg fix with the level security but still i cant open files, its a real pain

georgesperis, Dec 20, 2019
Thema:

Cannot open zip files

1. Cannot open zip files - Similar Threads - Cannot open zip

2. I cannot open the zip file of a pc game

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot open the zip file of a pc game: I cannot open the zip file of a pc game. When I try to open the zip file it turns into weird fonts. They are from Japanese game providers and I feel it might be the cause of this problem... My laptop is Windows 11. Asus TUF gaming laptop.How can I cope with this glitch?...
  3. file cannot be zipped

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file cannot be zipped: why does a warning message appear when I try to zip a file "file cannot be compressed as it includes characters that cannot be used in a compressed folder, such as T but the T icon is a small thing that sits lower down on the line of text. please help me try to resolve this...
  4. file cannot be zipped

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file cannot be zipped: why does a warning message appear when I try to zip a file "file cannot be compressed as it includes characters that cannot be used in a compressed folder, such as T but the T icon is a small thing that sits lower down on the line of text. please help me try to resolve this...
  5. file cannot be zipped

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. opening a zip file

opening a zip file: Hello I am trying to open a zip file; when i extract all and go to the file it says file is empty. so i tried internet explorer because i used that before and it says file has a virus. but i know for a fact the file is safe. how can i get my file to open so i can safe it. it...
  7. Cannot zip a file

Cannot zip a file: For some dumb reason I can't zip up my file of a project. I clicked the option to send that file into a compressed zipped file but it wouldn't carry that option out, as if I never clicked the option. What the fluff is going on???...
  8. cannot open a zip file after MS Download

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot open a zip file after MS Download: I don't know why but maybe after a update of MS I cannot open any .zip file I need. It simply copies itself. Can anyone help please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-a-zip-file-after-ms-download/e9b521dc-1e9f-4ba7-819d-ed2a2a026442
  9. Cannot open 7-zip file

Cannot open 7-zip file: I have purchased a “design bundle” for a crafting machine i have, when i download the file (which contains a bunch of images in various formats ie svg pdf ) it downloads as a 7-zip and when i try to open it, i get the error : can not open file (then it lists my directory/path...
  10. Zips files will not open

in Windows 10 Support
    Zips files will not open: I recently upgraded to Windows10 on my desktop Dell. Last week I attempted to unzip some files & open .tif files that had been saved when I was still running Windows 8.1. Previous to the upgraded I never had a issue unzipping these files and they are always from the same...