Windows 10: Cannot partition SSD, despite 90 gb free space.

Discus and support Cannot partition SSD, despite 90 gb free space. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; 92 gb of free space. Want to install ubuntu for work. 225 gig ssd cannot be partitioned, shrink volume enable only to shrink 2147 mbs which doesnt make... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Caveman014, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Cannot partition SSD, despite 90 gb free space.

92 gb of free space. Want to install ubuntu for work. 225 gig ssd cannot be partitioned, shrink volume enable only to shrink 2147 mbs which doesnt make sense?

submitted by /u/Caveman014
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Caveman014, Jun 6, 2022

2. SSD partitions : divided space on this drive.

Cannot partition SSD, despite 90 gb free space. [​IMG]

i guess thats it for this step. that should be it.

OtherWay1982, Jun 6, 2022
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    Loss of disk space despite clean install

@Augi1

You are missing a step, or don't realize you haven't gotten to that step yet.

This is step #10. It has nothing to do with deleting partitions. It simply tells the installation you intend to do a totally clean install.

Read these notes. What I have circled is what you need to do to have one unallocated space on your machine to install to.

Here is the place where you do that. In the example picture, it is already done. In your case, there will be a few partitions with data in them. I do not know exactly how many, but it's not important. Delete them all using the delete function I pointed to. Highlight each partition you see and click delete until all are gone and you have only one unallocated partition on the machine. That is where you will install Windows. If you delete all of the partitions first, it is impossible for you to still have that 454GB partition.

If you're not clear on any part of this, please ask. One of us will explain further.

TC

f14tomcat, Jun 6, 2022
  4. HLL_544 Win User

Cannot partition SSD, despite 90 gb free space.

Saving free space on SSD (Regarding multiple obligatory partitions on main drive)

Gerry Here just copy-paste some irrelevant response.

Well, **I've figured it out**. Here my solution (I Take no responsibility from any damage that might arise from this process, and I do not guarantee it to work for u.)

We'll assume u have 2 disks; SSD and HDD.

Also NOTE: I Work in a GPT-Disk partitioning scheme, I don't know if it's applicable on dos-style MBR partitioning.

General-methodology wich we are going to work with (or TL;DR).

• Delete all partitions on all drive
    • Install Windows on the HDD Drive
    • Install Windows on the SSD Drive (yes, twice!)
    • Repartition the HDD to free up and reallocate as we wish (The only parition that HAVE to be there is the EUFI System (Fat) )
    • After freeing up HDD space, move user folder to the HDD
    • PROFIT
    And in more detail:

THIS GUIDE ASSUME THIS IS A FRESH PC - THAT U DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING U NEED ON EITHER DISKS.

* - Asterisk, not a real step, just additional information

• Boot into windows 10 installation
    • Clear ALL partitions on BOTH drives
    • Let windows install itself onto the HDD, We'll call this installation win-hdd
      • There is no need to actually boot into this OS.
    • Boot into windows 10 installation
    • Let windows install itself onto the SSD. We'll call this installation win-ssd
      • *What would happen now, Is that windows detects the recovery and eufi partitions and does not need to create such additional partitions on your ssd. It would only create a 16MB windows reserved partition.
      • *Your boot partition would be hdd/eufi; But since windows detect it's own bootloader it would allow you to duel-boot between win-hdd and win-ssd(default)
    • Optional: During windows-ssd first run wizard switch to audit mode (CTRL+SHIFT+F3)
      • *We would use audit mode to:
        • * Optional1: Repartition hdd
        • * Optional2: Change "Users" folder to the hdd.
        • * If u do not want to move Users folder, u can do 6.2 After win-ssd fully boots instead
      • Repartition hdd & move Users folder:
        • Using a 3rd party tool such as "MiniTool Partition Wizard" you can do the fallowing *as you wish*:
          • Delete win-hdd partition
          • Delete recovery-hdd partition
          • Delete windows reserved (16 mb) partition.
          • You can also later move the EUFI to the start of the hdd disk, if needed
          • Create new partition (free to use) on hdd.
          • Make sure to properly assign drive letters to all drive as u wish
          • Fallow
            this guide
            to relocate the User folder (Starting from Step 2)
    • Boot into windows-ssd; If u do not know which one (int the OS selection screen) It's safe to assume that the automatically-selected one is the win-ssd.
    • If u have not performed 6.2 Yet, this is the time to do that now.
    GLHF.

HLL_544, Jun 6, 2022
Thema:

Cannot partition SSD, despite 90 gb free space.

1. Cannot partition SSD, despite 90 gb free space. - Similar Threads - Cannot partition SSD

2. How to restore the free space partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore the free space partition?: It used to be the D disk but now it becomes this free space oneI can't upload the picture https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-the-free-space-partition/97c9bd5c-ccda-47d3-8c48-255adf9cfccd
  3. Disk Management partition free space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Management partition free space: Win 10 Pro, 21H2, fully up-to-date. Disk Management shows status of partitions 1, 4, 5, 6 and C: partition 3 on the 512GB SSD boot drive disk 1. It lists the capacity of the partitions, how much is Free Space, and % Free. For partitions 1, 4, 5, 6, it says their entire...
  4. Disk Management partition free space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Management partition free space: Win 10 Pro, 21H2, fully up-to-date. Disk Management shows status of partitions 1, 4, 5, 6 and C: partition 3 on the 512GB SSD boot drive disk 1. It lists the capacity of the partitions, how much is Free Space, and % Free. For partitions 1, 4, 5, 6, it says their entire...
  5. Disk Management partition free space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Wiping the free space in recovery partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wiping the free space in recovery partition: I'm selling my laptop and deleting everything except the windows. Is there a way to securely wipe the free space in recovery and uefi partitions?i did the other volumes with cipher w in cmd but don't know how to address these drives with that command. submitted by /u/cs-k...
  7. 8 GB of free space needed on C:

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    8 GB of free space needed on C:: I have a stream book that was given to me that I would really like to reset it back to its factory default however it will not allow me to reset it because it doesn’t have enough space I tried to put a USB into it to create a USB boot drive but the media creation tool stops...
  8. free space on ssd

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    free space on ssd: My skill testing question is: why is it that in Explorer, I'll see the free space on my SSD down, let's say, about 30 Gigs. After a nice fresh reboot, that space is freed up. It seems this is is not a continual thing but once in a bit, I'll notice the free space isn't what...
  9. 20 GB of space missing on SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    20 GB of space missing on SSD: [ATTACH] Cannot clean what I can't find. Can you help? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/20-gb-of-space-missing-on-ssd/52f4089c-7988-4c05-a25c-f7cc603350a9
  10. 300+ gb of free space missing !

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    300+ gb of free space missing !: hi everyone ! so i have a 931 gb partition . all the files on that partition occupy only 484 GB . computer says i have only 179 GB of free space . what happened to the other 300 gb ? how could i restore them ? thanks [ATTACH] https://postimg.cc/xqtpygY5...