Windows 10: Cannot permanantly sort items in Windows Explorer

Discus and support Cannot permanantly sort items in Windows Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am doing some file moves which require me to move many files from one directory to another. These are all music files which are being moved into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SeaFury, Mar 15, 2020.

1. SeaFury Win User

Cannot permanantly sort items in Windows Explorer

I am doing some file moves which require me to move many files from one directory to another. These are all music files which are being moved into smaller directories due to Windows Explorer constantly re-reading/re-indexing the directory every time I change the column sort order.
    What I want to achieve is to have each directory sorted by the column title "Contributing Artist". I can click on the ascending/descending column, get it sorted by that column and change directory. When I return, the previously sorted view has reverted to "Name" order. I could have removed the column "Name" temporarily (from "choose details") to get the sort as required but that is the only column which you cannot remove.
    I had initially moved the column order, expecting the first column in the view to be the one it sorted by - alas not!

All I want is to fix the directory view sort order, so that EVERY time I look at a music directory contents, it is sorted, alphabetically by the column "Contributing Artist". It must also retain that same order criteria every time files are added or removed from that directory (so, when files are added, they are not tagged onto the bottom or inserted into the top but placed alphabetically into the directory. Can it be achieved?
    I have been playing with this for 3 hours now and cannot get it to work, even trying other Explorers!!!

:)

SeaFury, Mar 15, 2020
  2. cereberus Win User

Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Mar 15, 2020
  3. Catbill Win User
    Can't we sort Quick Access items?

In File Explorer, I want the items appearing under Quick Access to be sorted alphabetically. However, "sort" is grayed out.

Further down the list in the sidebar, items under "This PC" can be sorted. Why in the world is this not possible for Quick Access?

Catbill, Mar 15, 2020
  4. Cannot permanantly sort items in Windows Explorer

Windows Explorer Replacement?

are you running IE7? if not that wouold be my first suggestion,upgrade to ie7 that can fix some stability issues with windows explorer

Athlon2K15, Mar 15, 2020
Thema:

Cannot permanantly sort items in Windows Explorer

1. Cannot permanantly sort items in Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - Cannot permanantly sort

2. wrong sorting in explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wrong sorting in explorer: Sorting in explorer is wrongAnyone can solve it?Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wrong-sorting-in-explorer/ac70ff36-35f3-40bc-8f78-c3f5851046c1
  3. How to PERMANENTLY disable Explorer from sorting files by Date

How to PERMANENTLY disable Explorer from sorting files by Date: A repeated problem which occurs when there in Windows 10. The Downloads folder keeps on sorting everything by Dates and Weeks. I keep getting this randomly happening and it always takes about an hour of searching through forums to try to find how to disable this setting.I...
  4. Why is it so inconvenient to sort items in file explorer?

Why is it so inconvenient to sort items in file explorer?: Shouldn't clicking on "Type" sort the files by type, like it always has? Why would you hide the ability to actually sort files the way you want them under a separate, hard to find menu called "group by"? What a trash idea.I just found out you can "group by" none. That is so...
  5. Cannot permanantly sort items in Windows Exporer

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot permanantly sort items in Windows Exporer: I am doing some file moves which require me to move many files from one directory to another. These are all music files which are being moved into smaller directories due to Windows Explorer constantly re-reading/re-indexing the directory every time I change the column sort...
  6. Permanent Group By/Sort By change?

in Windows 10 Support
    Permanent Group By/Sort By change?: I'd like to know how to permanently change Group By to automatically be set to "(none)" . Changing it from the context menu or ribbon menu doesnt permanently change the setting and every time I open a folder from an external application like for example Chrome "show in...
  7. Desktop items are no longer permanent

Desktop items are no longer permanent: when I login to a single account on my win 10 pro computer, the items I save to desktop are no longer there. When I go to the user directory I see my user name and another folder that is TEMP2.<computername>. From my observations all I am accessing are the desktop and...
  8. Explorer - Dropbox Sort Order in registry not permanent

in Windows 10 Customization
    Explorer - Dropbox Sort Order in registry not permanent: Hello folks, I have changed the sort order of some of my items in the left navigation pane of the Windows Explorer (see screenshot). [img] However, upon rebooting only the Dropbox icon will jump back to its old place. [img] The registry entries are being...
  9. File Explorer: Globally Add Bit Rate "Sort By" Item in Details Mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer: Globally Add Bit Rate "Sort By" Item in Details Mode: Hello, I am (as of this writing) using Windows 10 Preview Build 14390. My question has to do with customizing folders in File Explorer. Is there a way to customize every folder/subfolder on my system (including external hard drives, USB flash drives, and CD/DVD) so that...
  10. Sorting Items in Windows Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sorting Items in Windows Store: I've just been trying to find a better calculator in the Store but I can't find a way of sorting the results by rating which was possible in Windows. How do I do this or is this another feature MS has removed? 54541