Windows 10: Cannot permanantly sort items in Windows Exporer

Discus and support Cannot permanantly sort items in Windows Exporer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am doing some file moves which require me to move many files from one directory to another. These are all music files which are being moved into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SeaFury, Mar 15, 2020.

1. SeaFury Win User

Cannot permanantly sort items in Windows Exporer

I am doing some file moves which require me to move many files from one directory to another. These are all music files which are being moved into smaller directories due to Windows Explorer constantly re-reading/re-indexing the directory every time I change the column sort order.
    What I want to achieve is to have each directory sorted by the column title "Contributing Artist". I can click on the ascending/descending column, get it sorted by that column and change directory. When I return, the previously sorted view has reverted to "Name" order. I could have removed the column "Name" temporarily (from "choose details") to get the sort as required but that is the only column which you cannot remove.
    I had initially moved the column order, expecting the first column in the view to be the one it sorted by - alas not!

All I want is to fix the directory view sort order, so that EVERY time I look at a music directory contents, it is sorted, alphabetically by the column "Contributing Artist". It must also retain that same order criteria every time files are added or removed from that directory (so, when files are added, they are not tagged onto the bottom or inserted into the top but placed alphabetically into the directory. Can it be achieved?
    I have been playing with this for 3 hours now and cannot get it to work, even trying other Explorers!!!

:)

SeaFury, Mar 15, 2020
  2. Catbill Win User

Can't we sort Quick Access items?

In File Explorer, I want the items appearing under Quick Access to be sorted alphabetically. However, "sort" is grayed out.

Further down the list in the sidebar, items under "This PC" can be sorted. Why in the world is this not possible for Quick Access?

Catbill, Mar 15, 2020
  3. TheBrenda Win User
    Want to sort by email Sent Items list by TO

HTC TP2, WM 6.1 Prof, HTC Sense is turned off as much as possible.

I have two email accounts on my phone. The first is a POP3 and the second is a sync with my desktop Outlook 2007. The POP3 Sent folder shows me the TO, Date, Size, and Subject in the Sent Items list. The Outlook sync shows me the FROM, Date, Size, and Subject
    in the Sent Items list. I sent the email so the FROM is always me!

1) how can i get the Outlook sync to show me the TO in the Sent Items list?

2) Is there a way to sort the list for either POP3 or Outlook Sync by TO?

TheBrenda, Mar 15, 2020
  4. Cannot permanantly sort items in Windows Exporer

Can't we sort Quick Access items?

Hi Cathy,

Items in the Quick access view can't be sorted as you like. It's a special folder designed that way. The "recent files" section, files that are most recently accessed are shown at the top. For Frequent folders listing, its sorted as:

Pinned Special folders

Pinned folders

Recent folders

Two things that can be changed:

1. Mix up Frequent folders and Recent files listing, instead of them being shown in separate groups.

2. Sort "frequent folders" items by name regardless of type (whether it's a special folder, pinned normal folder or a recent folder.)

Unfortunately, both of this involve editing the registry.

For custom sort, AFAIK, that can't be done for Quick access.. and even if it were possible it might involve editing the registry and changing the shell folder bitmask values.

Two other workarounds would be:

1. Pin "Recent folders" in Quick Access.

2. Pin "Recent folders" as a separate namespace item, appearing below Quick access section.

REF: How to Pin Recent folders or Recent Places to the Navigation Pane in Windows 10 File Explorer

Benefit: Items in this view can be custom sorted.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Mar 15, 2020
Thema:

Cannot permanantly sort items in Windows Exporer

1. Cannot permanantly sort items in Windows Exporer - Similar Threads - Cannot permanantly sort

2. how to get permanent deleted items

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to get permanent deleted items: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***+717003287Damsana Methdinu Perera https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-permanent-deleted-items/b36ca441-029b-4fd0-8eca-45e4a851774c
  3. how to get permanent deleted items

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to get permanent deleted items: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***+717003287Damsana Methdinu Perera https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-permanent-deleted-items/b36ca441-029b-4fd0-8eca-45e4a851774c
  4. File exporer tree disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    File exporer tree disappeared: Hi all, new user here. Just one little problem. I just installed version 2004. Everything is working fine except that I have no explorer tree on the left side of my Quick Access window. I've tried everything I can think of to get it back but nothing works. There are 2 other...
  5. Cannot permanantly sort items in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot permanantly sort items in Windows Explorer: I am doing some file moves which require me to move many files from one directory to another. These are all music files which are being moved into smaller directories due to Windows Explorer constantly re-reading/re-indexing the directory every time I change the column sort...
  6. Change Desktop icons from Sort by name to Sort by Item type

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Desktop icons from Sort by name to Sort by Item type: Can someone share with me the registry location of the Desktop icons Sort by? I need to change it in our Default profile. Somehow I changed it to Sort by name and it's should be sort by Item Type before I did a copy profile. If you need additional information, let me know....
  7. Permanent Group By/Sort By change?

in Windows 10 Support
    Permanent Group By/Sort By change?: I'd like to know how to permanently change Group By to automatically be set to "(none)" . Changing it from the context menu or ribbon menu doesnt permanently change the setting and every time I open a folder from an external application like for example Chrome "show in...
  8. Desktop items are no longer permanent

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop items are no longer permanent: when I login to a single account on my win 10 pro computer, the items I save to desktop are no longer there. When I go to the user directory I see my user name and another folder that is TEMP2.<computername>. From my observations all I am accessing are the desktop and...
  9. Explorer - Dropbox Sort Order in registry not permanent

in Windows 10 Customization
    Explorer - Dropbox Sort Order in registry not permanent: Hello folks, I have changed the sort order of some of my items in the left navigation pane of the Windows Explorer (see screenshot). [img] However, upon rebooting only the Dropbox icon will jump back to its old place. [img] The registry entries are being...
  10. Sorting Items in Windows Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sorting Items in Windows Store: I've just been trying to find a better calculator in the Store but I can't find a way of sorting the results by rating which was possible in Windows. How do I do this or is this another feature MS has removed? 54541