Windows 10: Cannot Pin or Organize Icons in Start Menu

Discus and support Cannot Pin or Organize Icons in Start Menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I seem to have lost the ability to pin programs to the Start Menu or organize the ones I had already pinned. Also, when I try to turn on "Use Start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Trackrick, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Trackrick Win User

Cannot Pin or Organize Icons in Start Menu

I seem to have lost the ability to pin programs to the Start Menu or organize the ones I had already pinned. Also, when I try to turn on "Use Start full screen," it turns back off right away.

It's a new computer that I built last night with a new Windows 10 installation. I installed a few programs today, and I pinned a few of them to the Start Menu, resized the icons to small, and moved them around a bit - worked just as well as it always did on my old computer. Then I installed a few more programs and went to organize my already-pinned icons before pinning the new(er) programs. Trying to move an icon caused the spinning blue ring, followed by the Start Menu collapsing. Upon re-opening the Start Menu, I found that all previous customizations (e.g. I had renamed a group) were gone.

I did some searching, and tried the suggested fix of unpinning and re-pinning programs. The context menu comes up to Pin, but I can't re-pin the apps that had previously been pinned or pin anything else. I tried to turn on "Use Start full screen" but it didn't seem to make any difference to the Start Menu, and the setting goes back to Off as soon as I go to another window and back.

:)

Trackrick, Nov 5, 2018

2. Start menu default internet acces icon screwed?

Try removing that icon from the start menu, going to profram file folder for firefox, and doing "pin 2 start menu".

oli_ramsay, Nov 5, 2018
  3. Darknova Win User
    Start menu default internet acces icon screwed?

You generally set that via the Start Menu settings (right-click start menu -> properties).

I had that issues a while ago, and it meant removing it from the Start Menu, and reinstalling my browser to get the icon back, it was very odd.

Darknova, Nov 5, 2018
  4. Cannot Pin or Organize Icons in Start Menu

How to pin shortcut to start menu.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you would like to know how to pin short cut to start menu.

I would suggest you to refer to the article given below if you are using Windows 7.

Pin a program to the Start menu

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Pin-a-program-to-the-Start-menu

And if you are using Windows 10 then I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

Pin apps to Start

Pin the apps you use most often to the Start menu. Here's how:

• Go to Start > All Apps.
    • Press and hold (or right-click) an app.
    • Select Pin to Start.

Hope this helps. Please let us know the results. We will be happy to assist you further.

Mayank Gupta10, Nov 5, 2018
Thema:

Cannot Pin or Organize Icons in Start Menu

1. Cannot Pin or Organize Icons in Start Menu - Similar Threads - Cannot Pin Organize

2. modify pinned start menu icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    modify pinned start menu icons: how do you modify pinned start menu icons? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/modify-pinned-start-menu-icons/6610f75a-a87a-4dca-919e-987fbb9297d9
  3. modify pinned start menu icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    modify pinned start menu icons: how do you modify pinned start menu icons? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/modify-pinned-start-menu-icons/6610f75a-a87a-4dca-919e-987fbb9297d9
  4. Start menu pinned apps icons broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu pinned apps icons broken: Hey guys. I have an issue that came up a couple of days ago out of nowhere. I have game launchers installed on another ssd (games ssd) and got them pinned to start menu. as of couple of days ago they appear to have broken icons, shortcuts work tho and I can still launch my...
  5. Pin to start menu icon cache

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pin to start menu icon cache: Hey guys, I changed the Google Chrome icon with resource hacker and it changed just about everywhere. Rebuild icon cache and all is well now when i pin it to the start menu its the old icon.. is their a start menu cache icons file I have to remove ? 167021
  6. Start menu pin icon problem

Start menu pin icon problem: Hello dear , after i'm install new version of windows 10 , my start menu icon not showing correctly . when i unpin this icon of below picture , after restart it's come back , when i need pin the app like the twitter , not pin and not showing the app . when click this app...
  7. Icon not working when pin to start menu

Icon not working when pin to start menu: If I change a icon to small that is pinned to start I loose the icon.It comes back if I change to medium, just started with new build 10586 31333
  8. Cannot pin programs to start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot pin programs to start menu: Not all the programs I have installed appear on the start menu (all apps). Even if I right click the relevant exe file (from file explorer) and select pin to start menu it does not appear. If I select pin to taskbar that works! 40527
  9. Cannot pin anything to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot pin anything to Start Menu: 1. The only shortcuts I have are Edge and Settings. They can be unpinned, but not added back 2. Nothing happens when attempting to do so. 3. Can pin to taskbar 4. .lnk files work file 5. SFC failed to find anything or repair anything 6. Ditto with DISM 7. New user...
  10. How to customize pinned Start Menu icon?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to customize pinned Start Menu icon?: I have a shortcut on the left-hand side of Start Menu that opens my Gmail in a Chrome window. This shortcut is actually a shortcut to chrome.exe with a bunch of command-line arguments that make it open my Gmail page right away. The shortcut has a custom "red enevelope" icon....