Windows 10: Cannot play AVI video on HDD but can play the same video on SSD

Discus and support Cannot play AVI video on HDD but can play the same video on SSD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; As title. After I copy the video from HDD to SSD it plays fluently. However, I don't want to store the video on SSD due to limited storage on SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Kevin_KK, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Kevin_KK Win User

Cannot play AVI video on HDD but can play the same video on SSD

As title. After I copy the video from HDD to SSD it plays fluently. However, I don't want to store the video on SSD due to limited storage on SSD whereas enough storage on HDD. Is there any workaround? Thanks!

:)

Kevin_KK, Oct 18, 2018

2. Avi videos not playing in movie maker

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Does it show any error?

Have you installed the Codecs?

Though Windows Movie maker support AVI format, sometime we still encounter AVI won't play in Windows . If the AVI files are not corrupt, the main reason may be the AVI video codec problem. If the AVI file was encoded with a non-Microsoft codec or with a
    codec not installed on your Windows, you will fail to play this kind of AVI video.

I would suggest you to follow these methods and check.

Method 1:

Run Hardware Troubleshooter

Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter.

a. Press the ‘Windows + W’ key on the keyboard.

b. Type troubleshooter in the search box and then press enter.

c. Click hardware and sound and run the
    hardware and device troubleshooter.

I also recommend you to install the latest version of Movie Maker and check the issue.

Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Oct 18, 2018
  3. Anuj1991 Win User
    AVI videos not playing on Lumia 720

i am unable to AVI videos on my lumia 720 and also mp4 videos dont play smoothly

Anuj1991, Oct 18, 2018
  4. Cannot play AVI video on HDD but can play the same video on SSD

how to play .avi or other type of videos in lumia920

.avi files are supported in the native media player, along with many other codecs (see this article for a complete list of supported codecs).

Julie fka profjulie, Oct 18, 2018
Thema:

Cannot play AVI video on HDD but can play the same video on SSD

1. Cannot play AVI video on HDD but can play the same video on SSD - Similar Threads - Cannot play AVI

2. Video playing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video playing: I have wlmp files. They do not play. I understand they need to be in a different file format. How do I do that? What media player should I use? Most of these files were originally made with an iPhone....
  3. Videos not playing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Videos not playing: Hello folks,Last week videos would not play online. Didn't matter which browser.I could open the video and it would show the content, load it, etc. But it would not play.I updated everything audio, windows 10, video driver, etcNothing helped. I switched to the default audio...
  4. Videos not playing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Videos not playing: Hello folks,Last week videos would not play online. Didn't matter which browser.I could open the video and it would show the content, load it, etc. But it would not play.I updated everything audio, windows 10, video driver, etcNothing helped. I switched to the default audio...
  5. Cannot play MP4 Videos .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot play MP4 Videos .: Ok so when i open an MP4 vid it says "the volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid" It was a video file from bandicam Screen Recorder App I tried rerinstalling the app removing folders still i cant play anything !...
  6. Cannot play MP4 Videos .

Cannot play MP4 Videos .: Ok so when i open an MP4 vid it says "the volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid" It was a video file from bandicam Screen Recorder App I tried rerinstalling the app removing folders still i cant play anything !...
  7. .AVI videos wont play on windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    .AVI videos wont play on windows 10: I have a .avi video i am trying to play on WMP (Windows Media Player). I have the current version of WMP. The video will not play and glitches my screen before it goes completely blank. Im not even sure if its playing at all. There is no option to change file types under the...
  8. play video

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    play video: video plays for 2 minutes when says hour play error OxcOOd3a9a cant play https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/play-video/18b66a8b-579a-4900-8df1-955033124170
  9. Video's will not play

Video's will not play: Hello, My laptop (acer) is only 4 years old and it suddenly won't play my videos - I downloaded video's that I originally filmed on my phone and they have played on my laptop in the past but now it suddenly won't. My Windows Media Player suddenly won't play them. Also my...
  10. Videos will not play

in Windows 10 Support
    Videos will not play: Worked fine yesterday and now today any browser that tries to load a video freezes. Any video I try to start with media player or VLC just starts to load up and stops, nothing happens. Have been searching for fixes, Cleared internet history cache, checked in control panel...