Windows 10: Cannot Preview Encrypted Files in File Explorer

Discus and support Cannot Preview Encrypted Files in File Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just made the move from a Vista 64-bit machine to a Windows 10 Pro machine (64-bit). I have been able to sort out, work around, and learn many things... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DiamondGirl, May 9, 2019.

1. Cannot Preview Encrypted Files in File Explorer

I just made the move from a Vista 64-bit machine to a Windows 10 Pro machine (64-bit). I have been able to sort out, work around, and learn many things to get this machine to do what I need it to do.

However, there is one issue I have not been able to solve. When using File Explorer to preview encrypted files, the preview pane displays, "The file you are attempting to preview could harm your computer. If you trust the file and the source you received it from, open it to view its contents." This message is displayed for every single encrypted file. It does not matter if it is pdf, txt, or another file type.

It is important to note that while many of these files are on an external hard drive from my previous machine, this happens immediately with encrypted files saved on this new Windows 10 machine.

I have been scouring Google to try to find an answer. It looks like a few others are having this issue, too, but it does not look like anyone has found an answer yet. One post said it could not be done, but considering I was able to do this in Vista, I cannot accept that answer.

I relied heavily on the preview feature in Vista and really need this to work in Windows 10. It kills my productivity to have to open each file instead of just taking a quick glance at it!

Can anyone help me figure out how to fix this?

:)

DiamondGirl, May 9, 2019

2. Windows XP file encryption

LOL thanks, I think its standard windows XP file encryption

troyrae360, May 9, 2019
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    "This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, May 9, 2019
  4. UkeScott Win User

Cannot Preview Encrypted Files in File Explorer

Preview Pane and Encrypted Files

I have encrypted my files in Windows 10 but now cannot see them in Preview Pane of File Explorer.

I have to open every file to see the content.

Is there any way to view a file in the preview pane if it is encypted?

UkeScott, May 9, 2019
Thema:

Cannot Preview Encrypted Files in File Explorer

1. Cannot Preview Encrypted Files in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Cannot Preview Encrypted

2. Windows Explorer cannot preview PDF file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer cannot preview PDF file: Hi there,As per subject, not able to click to "Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer", os is Win11 ARM64. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-explorer-cannot-preview-pdf-file/769ec41e-5856-4467-ad83-a050944de297
  3. Windows Explorer cannot preview PDF file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer cannot preview PDF file: Hi there,As per subject, not able to click to "Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer", os is Win11 ARM64. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-explorer-cannot-preview-pdf-file/769ec41e-5856-4467-ad83-a050944de297
  4. cannot access encrypted files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot access encrypted files: I got some files that I've encrypted by EFS on windows 11. After I got some issues, I have to reinstall windows 10 then I lost my access to the files that I've encrypted even I use the same Microsoft account on both system and it's on the same computer.I've tried may methods...
  5. Preview in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Preview in File Explorer: Recently the preview function on File explorer stopped working for my PDF files. I have Bluebeam set up as my Default PDF viewer, I tried changing it to the Microsoft Viewer but that did not allow a Preview either. I need to preview files! Help...
  6. Previewing Excel files in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Previewing Excel files in File Explorer: I use the Windows File Explorer extensively. I like being able to preview files and can readily do so with Word and PDF files. However, I can't do so with Excel files. Is there anyway to add this capability?...
  7. File Explorer Encryption Removal

File Explorer Encryption Removal: Hello all, I am having troubles removing the file encryption from my documents folder within file explorer. It started when I was made aware that files could be encrypted within windows and so I tried to use this feature on one sub folder within documents. I was hoping for...
  8. Explorer File Preview

in Windows 10 Customization
    Explorer File Preview: Explorer preview not working. Have searched internet on possible fixes. Windows 10 Pro OS build 19041.450 Explorer->General->Open File Explorer set to this PC Explorer->View->Files and Folders->Show preview handlers in preview pane checked. Registry setting added....
  9. No file preview in the preview pane and file explore

No file preview in the preview pane and file explore: This is an ongoing, intermittent problem. For no apparent reason, my documents well stop being previewed in the previewed pain of file Explorer. Today, Word docs are previewing, but it takes a long time for them to appear. PDF docs are not previewing at all. Yesterday,...
  10. cannot preview .msg files in explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cannot preview .msg files in explorer: I recently updated outlook and now cannot preview saved .msg files in explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-preview-msg-files-in-explorer/d180d4cf-99d5-4869-8d8a-581f76fc0d15

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot preview pdfs

2. cannot preview encripted files

3. unable to preview files on file explorer

4. could not open file file not found encrypted file win 7,
  5. cannot preview pdf in windows 10 explorer