Windows 10: Cannot Preview Encrypted Files in File Explorer

Discus and support Cannot Preview Encrypted Files in File Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just made the move from a Vista 64-bit machine to a Windows 10 Pro machine (64-bit). I have been able to sort out, work around, and learn many things... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DiamondGirl, May 9, 2019.

1. Cannot Preview Encrypted Files in File Explorer

I just made the move from a Vista 64-bit machine to a Windows 10 Pro machine (64-bit). I have been able to sort out, work around, and learn many things to get this machine to do what I need it to do.

However, there is one issue I have not been able to solve. When using File Explorer to preview encrypted files, the preview pane displays, "The file you are attempting to preview could harm your computer. If you trust the file and the source you received it from, open it to view its contents." This message is displayed for every single encrypted file. It does not matter if it is pdf, txt, or another file type.

It is important to note that while many of these files are on an external hard drive from my previous machine, this happens immediately with encrypted files saved on this new Windows 10 machine.

I have been scouring Google to try to find an answer. It looks like a few others are having this issue, too, but it does not look like anyone has found an answer yet. One post said it could not be done, but considering I was able to do this in Vista, I cannot accept that answer.

I relied heavily on the preview feature in Vista and really need this to work in Windows 10. It kills my productivity to have to open each file instead of just taking a quick glance at it!

Can anyone help me figure out how to fix this?

:)

DiamondGirl, May 9, 2019

2. Windows XP file encryption

LOL thanks, I think its standard windows XP file encryption

troyrae360, May 9, 2019
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    "This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, May 9, 2019
  4. UkeScott Win User

Cannot Preview Encrypted Files in File Explorer

Preview Pane and Encrypted Files

I have encrypted my files in Windows 10 but now cannot see them in Preview Pane of File Explorer.

I have to open every file to see the content.

Is there any way to view a file in the preview pane if it is encypted?

UkeScott, May 9, 2019
Thema:

Cannot Preview Encrypted Files in File Explorer

1. Cannot Preview Encrypted Files in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Cannot Preview Encrypted

2. Cannot see the file names on File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot see the file names on File Explorer: When I open File Explorer I only see icons showing the type of the files. I cannot see my file names and other details like date saved etc. This happened after I updated Windows 10 to its last version....
  3. Cannot open any files in file explorer

Cannot open any files in file explorer: Hello, recently my file explorer has stopped working, whenever I try to open anything in the file explorer, on my C: or D: drives, it just shows the following error: [ATTACH] how can I fix this?...
  4. media preview in file explorer

media preview in file explorer: file explorer will not display media images in preview pane or thumbnails https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-preview-in-file-explorer/616bf521-c783-490b-8b6a-59db01a1679d"
  5. file explorer preview pane

file explorer preview pane: Problem I`m having is the preview pane will show pdf`s fine, but will not preview jpegs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-preview-pane/3166cd80-4954-4b11-8def-bf594a2d9831"
  6. File Encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File Encryption: I have Windows 10 Pro on my laptop and I recently reset my PC. I stored all my backup files in my hard drive but the problem is that I can't transfer or even extract all of my files because it's encrypted. It has this icon of a padlock, I tried to do all the steps to remove...
  7. Office files cannot be previewed in Explorer Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Office files cannot be previewed in Explorer Windows 10: Preview only works for excel, pdf, and jpg (and other image) files. Word, Powerpoint files show "This file cannot be previewed" (Note that excel files do work) The issue has lasted for months. Apparently, it started in one of the automatic updates (which unfortunately have...
  8. PDF file previews on MS-File Explorer preview pane

PDF file previews on MS-File Explorer preview pane: After an automatic Windows 10 update on Nov-14-2018 under KB4465663 and KB4467702, WIndows 10 MS-File Explorer is very sluggish and unable to show and .pdf previews, in the preview pane. Any solutions?...
  9. File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf: Lately (I don't know how long, just noticed recently) Win 10 File Explorer won't show a preview of .docx or xlsx files. I have found a weird workaround: Open File Explorer, Highlight (click on) the file I want to preview. Nothing but a ding sound indicating a little window...
  10. Cannot set file explorer file view

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot set file explorer file view: Hi, For some reason my win 10 (64 b) install always shows images in file view instead of Details. When I try to apply the details setting to all folders, that selection is always grayed out. Can someone help? Thanks, Ed 72879