Windows 10: cannot print to shared XP printer from 10

Discus and support cannot print to shared XP printer from 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've an old printer, drivers are only available for XP. It is connected to the parallel port on the laptop. It is shared from an XP laptop via wifi/... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by testriderchuck, Feb 24, 2017.

1. cannot print to shared XP printer from 10

I've an old printer, drivers are only available for XP.
    It is connected to the parallel port on the laptop.
    It is shared from an XP laptop via wifi/ router.
    My Win 7 machines all print to the printer
    My Win 10 machine does NOT show the XP system or anything shared from it.

I've tried several things, network discovery, homegroup/workgroup is the same.

I believe this is a 10 issue, since the 7 machines print fine.

How to fix? buying a new color laser is NOT a viable answer, sorry. (if you've got a spare to give away...) haha in my dreams...

:)

testriderchuck, Feb 24, 2017
  2. Escamillo Win User

Printing from UWP apps no longer works after upgrading to Windows 10 Creators Update

The drivers are not the issue. As I said in the original post, I can't print from the PDF or XPS printers either, and those are not hardware printers that need drivers, they are software printers that simply print to .pdf and .oxps files. Indeed, neither
    the PDF nor XPS printers show up in the Device Manager that your link says to use to update drivers.

Also, I can print fine from desktop apps, using both the software printers (PDF and XPS) and my hardware printer (an HP printer). It's only UWP apps that I cannot print from.

So updating drivers is not the issue here.

But I think I have a related problem. "Share" also no longer works on my computer for UWP apps. For example, if I go to Edge and click share, and choose, for example ,the Mail app, the Mail app flashes for a split second, then goes away, so the share operation
    fails. It's similar to what I see when doing "Print" from a UWP app, whereby the Print panel flashes for a split second (if at all), then goes away.

With the original Windows 10 I had neither of these problems regarding print and share from UWP apps; only after upgrading to Windows 10 Anniversary Edition did I begin having these problems.

Escamillo, Feb 24, 2017
  3. Micrandra Win User
    Windows 10 Upgrade: Cannot Print to USB Printer from Host Computer, but I can print from another computer in the Homegroup!

After the Windows 10 Pro x64 anniversary update, I am no longer able to print to my USB connected printer from my computer, but I am still able to print to the printer from the other computers in the HomeGroup. In fact I am unable to print to ANY output
    device from my computer. I cannot print to two networked printers or a shared printer on another homegroup computer. I cannot "print" to an XPS or PDF file. Please do not insult my intelligence and suggest I update and or re-install the printer drivers. Been
    there, done that, and it doesn't work. This appears to be a problem with a common element in the printing process. When I try to print to a printer or PDF or XPS file, I see an error notification box titled "Print Preview Error" stating "An error occured while
    printing". When I check the printer status, I can't see any documents in the print queue.

Micrandra, Feb 24, 2017
  4. cannot print to shared XP printer from 10

play2mefish, Feb 24, 2017
  5. The latest drivers available are XP drivers. They don't work on 7, I tried. I did try putting printer directly on the net (it has a built-in port), still must be shared via XP due to the driver issue so the connection type is immaterial.

I believe I did try a couple other drivers, but windows says they aren't the right ones. (I understand that it may be possible to somehow fool windows, have fun with*Banghead that)

Not that it matters, but the printer is a QMS magicolor 2200 desklaser. Made in 2002. I got it a few years ago for $60, when it dies it's scrap. meanwhile, 10 still wont print to it but 7 will.*Mad

Back to the OP, is it possible for 10 to access any files/devices on the XP box? how?

testriderchuck, Feb 24, 2017
  6. Have you tried the drivers from this page:

Konica Minolta Magicolor 2200 Driver | Konica Support

They look to have Windows 8 32 and 64 bit drivers...which will normally work for Windows 10. Also has windows 7 drivers so you could put it back on the network. Anyway, something to try.

play2mefish, Feb 25, 2017
  7. HMMM when I searched a year ago, those drivers didn't appear, though it looks like the place to go for K-M printers so...

I d-loaded 7/32 version for my 7 machine and the 8/64 version for the 10 system. installed them seemingly OK. the 10 system took some persuasion...

I connected a network cable to the printer, the router sees it and it is pingable from both 7 and 10.

W7 seems to see it and share it but a test page times out/has as error which the windows troubleshooter cant figure out (imagine that...) Same thing happens on the 10 box except it thinks that sharing the printer will solve my problems. NOT!!!

The newly shared from 10 printer shows up in the list on 7, but still no printing from either box. 10 box says "cannot be contacted over the network" ???huh??? liar.

Hmmm, printer is still listed in the router's device table, prints OK from the 7 box via the shared XP connection, but neither the 7 nor the 10 box will print to it.

I even deleted the PS "printer" and installed an XPS one. test page seemed to wake the printer up, but an error balloon appeared by the time (lower left of screen) saying that the printer couldn't print the page.

haven't given up yet but...

testriderchuck, Feb 25, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

cannot print to shared XP printer from 10

Not a solution, but a workaround until we find one.

Windows 10 comes with the 'Microsoft Print to PDF' printer. Use that to print to a .pdf file, then you can print that from one of the other machines.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

cannot print to shared XP printer from 10

1. cannot print to shared XP printer from 10 - Similar Threads - cannot print shared

2. Windows 11 cannot print to shared printers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 cannot print to shared printers: Hello,I have a Windows Server 2016, which is acting as a Domain and Print server. I have HP, Canon and Lexmark printers that are shared from this server to the rest of the computers. Most of the printers are using PCL6 V3 and V4 type drivers. Recently I've started upgrading...
  3. Windows 11 cannot print to shared printers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 cannot print to shared printers: Hello,I have a Windows Server 2016, which is acting as a Domain and Print server. I have HP, Canon and Lexmark printers that are shared from this server to the rest of the computers. Most of the printers are using PCL6 V3 and V4 type drivers. Recently I've started upgrading...
  4. Cannot print from Dell laptop to shared printer on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot print from Dell laptop to shared printer on desktop: Both machines: Windows 10 Pro, 20H2, 19042.1288. Dell recent updates: 10/12 cumulative update KB5006670, 10/1 update KB4023057, 9/24 cumulative update KB5005565.Desktop recent updates: 10/14 cumulative update KB5006670, 10/8 update KB4023057, 9/16 cumulative update...
  5. Cannot print from Dell laptop to shared printer on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot print from Dell laptop to shared printer on desktop: Both machines: Windows 10 Pro, 20H2, 19042.1288. Dell recent updates: 10/12 cumulative update KB5006670, 10/1 update KB4023057, 9/24 cumulative update KB5005565.Desktop recent updates: 10/14 cumulative update KB5006670, 10/8 update KB4023057, 9/16 cumulative update...
  6. Cannot print from Dell laptop to shared printer on desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Can't print from applications to shared printer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't print from applications to shared printer: I have two Windows 10 computers, a laptop and a mini PC that I have bought to be a music and print server to prevent me having to take the laptop to the printer. I have successfully connected the printer a Brother laser to the mini PC via USB and set up sharing in Properties....
  8. Cannot Connect to shared printer on Win 10 computer from XP Computer

Cannot Connect to shared printer on Win 10 computer from XP Computer: Like the title says (I'll refer to the Windows 10 computer as "WIN10" and the Windows XP computer as "XP") On XP, I can go to View Workgroup Computers > WIN10 and I can see all the shared drives and folders, open them, delete files in them and copy files to and from them. I...
  9. Cannot add printer shared by Windows 10 to Windows XP.

Cannot add printer shared by Windows 10 to Windows XP.: Hi. I cannot add a printer that is connected to a PC with Windows 10 installed. Client OS is Windows XP. When I try to open "\\WIN10COMP" and doubleclick on printer name, I get: "Operation could not be completed. Access is denied.". [img] [img] When I try to...
  10. Shared printer not printing

Shared printer not printing: Client uses a HP 1515 series printer/scanner connected to a desktop via USB and shared. The printer does not print from the laptop to the share - it initializes a print job and seems successful but NO page coming from printer. After lots a trail and error I discovered that...