Windows 10: Cannot re-activate windows 10 after transferring SSD to an identical laptop.

Discus and support Cannot re-activate windows 10 after transferring SSD to an identical laptop. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I have been running retail Windows 10 Pro (version 1809) pre-installed on a second hand DELL Latitude 6440 laptop bought from my previous... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DimitrisChrysomallis, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Cannot re-activate windows 10 after transferring SSD to an identical laptop.

Hi,

I have been running retail Windows 10 Pro (version 1809) pre-installed on a second hand DELL Latitude 6440 laptop bought from my previous employer.

Windows was activated and linked to my online MS account.

The other day the laptop died on me and having an identical DELL model lying around I just moved the SSD to the other machine.

The OS booted normally and everything seems to work, except activation.

I have tried:

• Activation troubleshooter --> changed hardware on this device.
      Response: "We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for reactivating the device you’re using right now. Make sure you’re signed in with the same Microsoft account you linked to the Windows 10 digital license on this device or try again later."
    • Change product key.
      Response: "The product key you entered didn't work (0x80041023)"
    • I ran lsmgr /ato and I get error 0xC004C003 product key is blocked.

I can see the device at https://account.microsoft.com/devices/.

I have followed every possible guide that I could find in order to re-activate windows.

Please advise

Kind regards

:)

DimitrisChrysomallis, Jan 22, 2019

2. Can I swap SSDs between two identical laptops?

I have a user who damaged their display (dropped laptop in the airport).

I was wondering if it might be possible to swap the SSD drive from the damaged laptop to a different but identically configured laptop?

Both are ThinkPad T440s laptops configured the same and have licensed Windows 10 Pro (upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro) installed. I suspect the answer is no but it sure would be nice to be able to swap drives even if I have to reactivate the software on the
    new laptop. It would save several hours of transferring data...

If it is possible how would I go about re-activating the OS on the new laptop?

TIA,

Eric

EricChang6468, Jan 22, 2019
  3. Transfer SSD to new laptop

My laptop is on its last legs and needs replacing. But it has a good SSD with Windows 10 and lots of data on it which I want to keep. Can I buy a new laptop with no HDD or OS and transfer my existing SSD complete with OS straight into it? Am I allowed to
    transfer my existing Windows 10 licence ro a new computer bought without an OS?

Geoffharry, Jan 22, 2019
  4. 95Viper Win User

Cannot re-activate windows 10 after transferring SSD to an identical laptop.

Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

How long did you wait for activation?
    When I re-installed with a fresh install... it took a few hours to sync and activate.
    However, it did, finally, activate.

95Viper, Jan 22, 2019
Thema:

Cannot re-activate windows 10 after transferring SSD to an identical laptop.

1. Cannot re-activate windows 10 after transferring SSD to an identical laptop. - Similar Threads - Cannot activate transferring

2. Cannot re-activate windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot re-activate windows: I just bought a new licence, as you can see from the image below showing the date "November 12, 2022"I reinstalled my computer using the same option to install windows 10 PRO and I'm stuck with this error I noticed that it says "Windows Professional" on screenshot above and...
  3. Cannot re-activate windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot re-activate windows: I just bought a new licence, as you can see from the image below showing the date "November 12, 2022"I reinstalled my computer using the same option to install windows 10 PRO and I'm stuck with this error I noticed that it says "Windows Professional" on screenshot above and...
  4. Cannot re-activate windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Re-activate Windows 10 Pro after transferring HDD to new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-activate Windows 10 Pro after transferring HDD to new PC: Hi,I don't know the full history of the old PC, but do know that it was licensed for Windows 10 Pro before the motherboard died and the HDD was placed in a new, barebones PC. There doesn't seem to be a Microsoft Account that we have access to that might have had a "Pro...
  6. Re-activate Windows 10 Pro after transferring HDD to new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-activate Windows 10 Pro after transferring HDD to new PC: Hi,I don't know the full history of the old PC, but do know that it was licensed for Windows 10 Pro before the motherboard died and the HDD was placed in a new, barebones PC. There doesn't seem to be a Microsoft Account that we have access to that might have had a "Pro...
  7. Re-activate Windows 10 Pro after transferring HDD to new PC

8. Activation after Transferring SSD to new PC

Activation after Transferring SSD to new PC: I have copied the files and folders from one pc to another, but it has also transfered the operating system which is win10 Pro, to activate it I need to change it back to Windows 10 Home, what is the the best way to reinstall it without losing my settings and programs...
  9. Activation after Transferring SSD to new PC

Activation after Transferring SSD to new PC: Hello all, today I upgraded my PC in its entirety by physically transferring my SSD to a new PC. It went smoothly but now I am being asked to activate Windows. The former owner of this PC did not own a licensed copy of Windows 10. I, on the other hand, do own a copy. When I...
  10. Windows 10 Home cannot be activated after re-installation

Windows 10 Home cannot be activated after re-installation: I had an activated installation of Windows 10 Home on my machine. I recently re-installed Windows 10 Home on my machine, using the "Reset this PC" option under the "Recovery" menu Windows Settings >> Update & Security >> Recovery >> Reset this PC The re-installation was...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot reactivate windows 10 after upgrading ssd

2. activate windows after transfer ssd

3. can you re-activate windows 10 mak licence after installing ssd