Windows 10: Cannot re-install Windows 10 - even after following troubleshooter

Discus and support Cannot re-install Windows 10 - even after following troubleshooter in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My laptop has been running slowly for a while - McAfee and Malware Bytes do not turn up anything, so I have decided to re-install Windows to see if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jetstream Rider, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Cannot re-install Windows 10 - even after following troubleshooter

My laptop has been running slowly for a while - McAfee and Malware Bytes do not turn up anything, so I have decided to re-install Windows to see if that helps, as it has been through a lot of update cycles.

I followed this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4000735/windows-10-reinstall

By making installation media on a USB key and it failed with the error code:

0xC1900101 - 0xC40021 The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP_RESPECIALIZE operation

I was trying to re-install windows, but keep all my apps and data.

I then followed this and tried all the steps one by one, and re-installing each time.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10587/windows-10-get-help-with-upgrade-installation-errors

Every time it failed with the same error, until the last step where after checking the Windows image and trying the re-install again, I got his error:

0xC1900101 - 0xC4000D The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation

Any ideas where to go from here? Will a re-install where I lose all my apps and data still fail at the same hurdle? If I do a complete re-install so that I need to re-install all my software etc, will it give me any advantage?

My concern is that I have some sort of malware that is slowing my machine down, and is resisting the attempts to re-install Windows. Surely a clean install would get rid of anything like that? Obvisously I've checked all my drivers and updates etc as part of the troubleshooting listed above.

Many thanks for any advice.

:)

Jetstream Rider, Jun 17, 2020

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jun 17, 2020
  3. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Jun 17, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Cannot re-install Windows 10 - even after following troubleshooter

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 17, 2020
Thema:

Cannot re-install Windows 10 - even after following troubleshooter

1. Cannot re-install Windows 10 - even after following troubleshooter - Similar Threads - Cannot install following

2. Wondering what's wrong, even after re-installing windows 10.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wondering what's wrong, even after re-installing windows 10.: So I've had this for a few weeks now, where Chrome opens a new tab without me doing anything, ranging from a YouTube video I never watched, to a website on how to knit something. Sometimes my internet security blocks a page, but the tab still opens. This happens only when I...
  3. Constant BSOD, Even After Re-Installing Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Constant BSOD, Even After Re-Installing Windows: Hi,I recently built my first PC a few months ago, but after installing Windows, I've been running into constant BSOD errors . My hardware is all fine, with all components properly seated. I have downloaded both BlueScreenView and WinDbg Preview in an attempt to navigate...
  4. Constant BSOD, Even After Re-Installing Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Constant BSOD, Even After Re-Installing Windows: Hi,I recently built my first PC a few months ago, but after installing Windows, I've been running into constant BSOD errors . My hardware is all fine, with all components properly seated. I have downloaded both BlueScreenView and WinDbg Preview in an attempt to navigate...
  5. Constant BSOD, Even After Re-Installing Windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. I can't install the W10 20H2 update even after following ALL troubleshooting steps!!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can't install the W10 20H2 update even after following ALL troubleshooting steps!!!: I am totally unable to install the W10 20H2 feature update. I've been trying now for several weeks and appear to have exhausted all troubleshooting steps, so now I'm here rather desperately hoping someone might have a solution? Update error code is the typical 0xc1900101...
  7. Windows 10 Home cannot be activated after re-installation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Home cannot be activated after re-installation: I had an activated installation of Windows 10 Home on my machine. I recently re-installed Windows 10 Home on my machine, using the "Reset this PC" option under the "Recovery" menu Windows Settings >> Update & Security >> Recovery >> Reset this PC The re-installation was...
  8. Windows Update freeze even after re-installing windows.

Windows Update freeze even after re-installing windows.: Hello, For more than a year I have been having issues with updating my Windows 10 computer. Whenever there is an update scheduled when turning off the computer, it will freeze at around 30% (the moving circling dots will freeze as well), and it will stay like that for hours...
  9. Re-installing Windows 10 (following special offer instalation)

Re-installing Windows 10 (following special offer instalation): Is this information (from 2015) regarding reinstalling Windows 10 (which had firstly been installed as free offer) still correct in March 2019, please? Thank you....
  10. 1803 - 1809 Desktop corrupt, cannot repair even after Win 10 re-install

in Windows 10 Customization
    1803 - 1809 Desktop corrupt, cannot repair even after Win 10 re-install: had 1803, tried to update to 1909 on my SP4 but kept getting failures. Went to the MS website and installed the latest build. All went through fine but my desktop is totally corrupt when using the SP4 screen or external. Icons overlayed, cant move them around the screen....