Windows 10: Cannot reactivate after changing hardware

Discus and support Cannot reactivate after changing hardware in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have Win10 attached to my live account. I swapped out my motherboard and cpu. I attempt to reactive via settings - update&security - troubleshoot -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Ananym, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Ananym Win User

Cannot reactivate after changing hardware

I have Win10 attached to my live account.

I swapped out my motherboard and cpu.

I attempt to reactive via settings - update&security - troubleshoot - recently changed hardware.

I select this device in its previous incarnation.

I am given the error message attached.

"Trying again later" achieves nothing.

The fact that it presents re-buying the software as an alternative to whatever is broken is hilariously insulting.

I have nothing strange going on with my internet connection, firewalls, etc.

Please give me some actionable context to this ridiculous error.

Cannot reactivate after changing hardware 8c4b3e07-3f00-4552-bbfc-471c98f6bdd2?upload=true.png

:)

Ananym, Mar 9, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Windows 10 reactivation on hardware changes

Hi Florea,

It is possible that Windows won't be able to identify your computer correctly that is why the operating system is not activated. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article on how to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Mar 9, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 9, 2019
  4. Sher Amo Win User

Can't activate after hardware change

Hi Sullivan,

In Windows 10 (Version 1607 or later), you can link your Microsoft account to the Windows 10 digital license on your device. This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware
    change later, such as replacing the motherboard. To assist you with your concern, we suggest that you follow the steps provided on this
    link. The link contains all the necessary information on how to reactive Windows 10 after a hardware
    change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Sher Amo, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Cannot reactivate after changing hardware - Similar Threads - Cannot reactivate changing

2. Cannot reactivate Windows after hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot reactivate Windows after hardware change: Hello, I installed a new motherboard and processor, my old ones don't work anymore due to a severe power outage. I cannot reactivate Windows on my machine no matter what I do.I have the receipt with the windows code, typed it in that doesn't work either.When I click...
  3. Cannot reactivate Windows after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot reactivate Windows after hardware change: Hello, I installed a new motherboard and processor, my old ones don't work anymore due to a severe power outage. I cannot reactivate Windows on my machine no matter what I do.I have the receipt with the windows code, typed it in that doesn't work either.When I click...
  4. Cannot reactivate windows after a hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot reactivate windows after a hardware change: Hi there I recently did a rebuild of my PC and now windows is saying it needs to be activated. I am still launching from the same SSD as I was on the previous build and have not reinstalled windows so it should be the same version. When I go to the activation settings...
  5. Reactivation after hardware change

Reactivation after hardware change: I recently upgraded my motherboard, CPU, and RAM on my computer, and replaced my HDD with an SDD a few weeks earlier. Since the latest change, I see a watermark on my screen telling me to activate windows. When I try the troubleshooter and tell it I upgraded the hardware, it...
  6. Cannot Reactivate Windows after Hardware Change

Cannot Reactivate Windows after Hardware Change: Ive recently changed out my motherboard and CPU and cannot reactivate my bought Windows 10 key. All the sources I have point toward using the Troubleshoot option in the Activation tab in Settings. When I do that I get an option for "I changed hardware on this device...
  7. Reactivation after hardware change

Reactivation after hardware change: Hello, I have the 0xC004F213 error when I want to activate my product. I recently build a new PC because my old one died and thats waht I get. I don't have a product key, I've bought that almost 5 years ago and it's just lost. Is there any possibilty to reactivate it?...
  8. cannot reactivate license after hardware change

cannot reactivate license after hardware change: Hi, I upgraded hardware on my PC and now my Windows version is no longer seen as active. When trying to reactivate It seems my old license tied to my user, and shows my computer name, but I cannot reactivate. It simply throws an error. How could I go about fixing this?...
  9. Cannot reactivate Windows after hardware change

Cannot reactivate Windows after hardware change: Hello, After making sure I have a retail key for Windows on this computer and linking it to my Microsoft account I went and swapped out my motherboard/cpu/ram yesterday. Now Windows is bugging me to activate it, I went through the troubleshooter, clicked "I changed my...
  10. Reactivation after hardware change

Reactivation after hardware change: Hello, I changed hardware(Motherboard and CPU) and want to reactivate windows but it wont work. I do have a retail version and made sure my account was linked to my digital license so as to avoid any issues for reactivation. I tried to contact Microsoft support twice to...