Windows 10: Cannot reactivate W10 on a different PC

Discus and support Cannot reactivate W10 on a different PC in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I'm having issues reactivating my W10 license after building my new PC. The situation is: I had W10 Pro on my original desktop, let's call it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by James_094, Dec 14, 2019.

1. James_094 Win User

Cannot reactivate W10 on a different PC

Hi,

I'm having issues reactivating my W10 license after building my new PC. The situation is:

I had W10 Pro on my original desktop, let's call it desktop1. It's a digital license attached to my windows account, according to slmgr /dlv it's a RETAIL license, which as far as I know means it can be transferred and is not attached to my motherboard.

So I went onto desktop1 and used slmgr /upk to uninstall the product key (it's a generic one due to being a digital license). Now Windows properly shows up as not activated on desktop1, I haven't got around to formatting the drive (need to get some data first but I'll do it soon).

Now I move onto desktop2, installed W10 Pro off a stick, then attached my Windows account. I install the product key with slmgr /ipk and the product key installs correctly. I try to activate and it fails, error code 0x803FA067.

I use some google and learn that apparently it needs to be reactivated manually or some stuff. I use the Troubleshoot option and choose "I recently changed hardware", but the Troubleshooter only shows me one device which is desktop1, despite both desktop1 and desktop2 showing up in my Windows account.

Any ideas? As for the original product key, I bought desktop 1 preassembled so I have no idea where it comes from, but it's NOT an OEM key since both slmgr /dlv and showkeyplus list it as RETAIL. The original key was a W7 key and I used the free upgrade to W10.

Any idea on what else to try? Apparently chat support used to help with it but I can't find the option to talk to chat support.

:)

James_094, Dec 14, 2019

2. Do i need to reactivate W10 after upgrade ? W10 to W10 creator update.

Do i need to reactivate W10 after upgrade ? W10 to W10 creator update.

**Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup / PC **

RaFikBouchoul66, Dec 14, 2019
  3. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Dec 14, 2019
  4. Cannot reactivate W10 on a different PC

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Dec 14, 2019
Thema:

Cannot reactivate W10 on a different PC

1. Cannot reactivate W10 on a different PC - Similar Threads - Cannot reactivate W10

2. Reactivation W10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivation W10: Had W10 preview months before the launch date. It was activated. Activation continued after that date. Later it was activated with a digital license linked to the Microsoft account. Motherboard has failed, will replace with later one, and new CPU and RAM. Will it reactivate?...
  3. Reactivating W10 after hardware change

Reactivating W10 after hardware change: Have been over various articles for the last ~3 hours, among other things, little of which is helpful, most of which results in going in circles looking for something you've missed. As a result, I'm likely more than a little aggravated and passive-aggressive. Iwould apologise...
  4. Can't reactivate w10 on new pc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't reactivate w10 on new pc: So yesterday I built a new pc for myself, and I boot it up and install windows and whatnot, and press the "i dont have a key" button since I have a digital license linked to my ms account. But when I try to activate it on my new pc, it gives me an error, and I press...
  5. Trying to reactivate W10 on a new build.

Trying to reactivate W10 on a new build.: Okay, so a few weeks ago I used the help of this forum to find out my product type, I have a retail license which should have been digitally licenses to my account. After signing in, it's saying: Windows reported that no product key was found on your device. Error code:...
  6. Reactivate W10 Pro Purchased as an upgrade

Reactivate W10 Pro Purchased as an upgrade: I purchased a new Dell laptop in June 2019. It came with Windows 10 Home, and I purchased a Pro license through the Windows Store on June 16, 2019. Then, my laptop crapped out last month and I had to return it to Dell. Dell didn't have the replacement part and sent me a...
  7. Can not reactivate W10: Error

Can not reactivate W10: Error: Hello. I changed my CPU Motherboard and RAM as my old System died. I had Windows 10 Pro already activated in my Microsoft Account (I upgraded from W7 to W10 through the "Free Digital Upgrade" back then). So it was linked since the Release of the first W10 Version. My old...
  8. Reactivation: Windows thinks its a different PC

Reactivation: Windows thinks its a different PC: Issue: Windows 10 Activation Details: Same PC. No hardware change.[ATTACH] Listed exactly same hardware detail in MS Account.[ATTACH] Originally activated via MS Account login. Built this pc from scratch. Installed Win 10 Pro without inputting any product key. Logged in...
  9. Cannot install TAP software on W10 PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot install TAP software on W10 PC: I am running KIS 2017, have tried installing those VPN software client - I have a NordVPN connection & have also tried installing trials of some other VPN software client. No VPN software can be used to the lack of TAP adapter is not getting installed. I have even tried after...
  10. W10 Build difference ???

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Build difference ???: Hey gang, i have 2 computers that i installed W10 on about a week apart one has Windows 10 Home (x64) 1115 (build 10586) on it, the other has Windows 10 Home (x64) (build 10240) !!! My question : what is the difference between build 10586 and build 10240 ???? Thanks...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reactivate w10 new pc

2. cannot reactivate windows 10