Windows 10: Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after a motherboard replacement

Discus and support Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after a motherboard replacement in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So I recently had a motherboard failure and had to get a new one. My Windows 10 (which was activated earlier) started showing as not activated after I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Abhishek_Naidu, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after a motherboard replacement

So I recently had a motherboard failure and had to get a new one. My Windows 10 (which was activated earlier) started showing as not activated after I did. I must add that I upgraded to Windows 10 Professional from Windows 7 Home Basic using the anytime upgrade offer that was implemented, and I still have the product key for my Windows 7 Edition. But when I try to reactivate my Windows 10 using the troubleshooter, I get the "Unable to activate Windows on this computer" error. It also says to try again later, which I've been trying to do since atleast 12 hours. I also tried changing the product key and entering my Windows 7 key since I saw that it could be used to reactivate Windows 10, but to no avail. Any help regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

:)

Abhishek_Naidu, Dec 8, 2018

2. win 10 motherboard change, reactivating windows

Hi Famie,

If you are planning to change your motherboard, you will still be able to activate your Windows 10. In Windows 10 version 1607, there is a feature that you can link your Microsoft account to Windows 10 digital license on your device.
    This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

That being said, we suggest that you follow the steps given on this article
    to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to "mark it as an answer" to help those are facing the same problem.

Janeane Cru, Dec 8, 2018
  3. Can't reactivate Windows 10 Pro after replacing motherboard

Hi,

I've just replaced a faulty motherboard in my PC and tried to reactivate Windows 10 Pro via the Windows Activation troubleshooter. The license linked to my account is an upgrade from a retail version of a previous version (so i should be able to reactivate
    it). After selecting the correct device to activate I am presented with the following error message:

Unable to activate Windows

We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.

Learn more

You can also activate this device by going to the Store and purchasing a genuine copy of Windows.

Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after a motherboard replacement Store.24.png

Go to Store

The "Learn more" page referred to does not help as I have just followed the steps listed on that page to get to where I am now.

Phil Brent, Dec 8, 2018
  4. Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after a motherboard replacement

Reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard replacement

Hello Gary,

Windows 10 will prompt for reactivation after a significant hardware change, such as replacing the motherboard. To help you reactivate your Windows PC, you can run the
    Activation troubleshooter. This tool is designed to help users reactivate their Windows PC after a recent hardware change. Please follow the steps from this
    support article on how to run the
    Activation troubleshooter. Should you need further assistance, you can contact our
    customer support. You can find the link in the bottom part of the support article.

Feel free to post back if you have other inquiries.

If you think this was useful, you may “mark it as an answer” to help those who are facing the same problem.

Devlin Sco, Dec 8, 2018
Thema:

Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after a motherboard replacement

1. Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after a motherboard replacement - Similar Threads - Cannot reactivate motherboard

2. Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard replacement with digital license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard replacement with digital license: Here is the detailed description of the problem:PC was built by me in 2011. Windows 7 Pro purchased retail version was installedproduct key was used and Windows activatedMachine was upgraded to Windows 10 Pro via the 2015 free upgrade offer.Digital license was created by...
  3. Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard replacement with digital license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard replacement with digital license: Here is the detailed description of the problem:PC was built by me in 2011. Windows 7 Pro purchased retail version was installedproduct key was used and Windows activatedMachine was upgraded to Windows 10 Pro via the 2015 free upgrade offer.Digital license was created by...
  4. Cannot reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard replacement with digital license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Difficulties with Reactivating Windows 10 After Replacing Motherboard

Difficulties with Reactivating Windows 10 After Replacing Motherboard: I recently had to change my motherboard, because I was having issues with it. After replacing it, I reinstalled Windows 10 as well. Naturally, I had to reactivate Windows 10, however, when I tried to input the 25-character product key, I got the following error message:Just...
  6. WIndows auto-reactivating after motherboard replacement?

WIndows auto-reactivating after motherboard replacement?: Hi all - just a quick question. I have an HP laptop I was asked to repair. Turns out the motherboard is toast. I want to order a replacement used board from Ebay. The current dead board has an embedded Win10 license key. That means that the new board should also have an...
  7. WIndows auto-reactivating after motherboard replacement?

in Windows 10 Support
    WIndows auto-reactivating after motherboard replacement?: Hi all - just a quick question. I have an HP laptop I was asked to repair. Turns out the motherboard is toast. I want to order a replacement used board from Ebay. The current dead board has an embedded Win10 license key. That means that the new board should also have an...
  8. Reactivation problems after replacing motherboard

Reactivation problems after replacing motherboard: Hi everyone, Yesterday, I replaced my motherboard on my PC, and now my Windows won't reactivate. I had the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro, and I'm fairly sure there is supposed to be a licence attached to my account, but I don't know how to find it. I had...
  9. Reactivating Windows after replacing motherboard

Reactivating Windows after replacing motherboard: Some backstory before I start- Back in June of 2018 I bought a prebuilt Cyberpower pc. After 2 years the motherboard died, so I replaced it. After booting it up, I have a little thing in the bottom right hand corner of my screen that says, "Activate Windows. Go to Settings to...
  10. Unable to reactivate after motherboard replacement

Unable to reactivate after motherboard replacement: i recently replaced my motherboard and didn't create a restore point nor do i have the key as it was i think bought somewhere online. In my microsoft account the previous PC(with old Motherboard) is still shown in my account which i think is still activated for some reason...