Windows 10: Cannot reactivate windows after a motherboard upgrade.

Discus and support Cannot reactivate windows after a motherboard upgrade. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hey all I recently upgraded my motherboard and tried reactivating windows by going to Activation clicking on troubleshoot and clicking on the option... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by o die o, Nov 9, 2018.

1. o die o Win User

Cannot reactivate windows after a motherboard upgrade.

Hey all I recently upgraded my motherboard and tried reactivating windows by going to Activation clicking on troubleshoot and clicking on the option that says I changed hardware on this device recently and selecting my old computer unfortunately Im just greeted with the text "We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later. " I made sure I am signed in with the same account as I was last time I remember roughly 2 years ago I reinstalled my motherboard and this method worked fine. Has something changed recently or is this not allowed anymore?

:)

o die o, Nov 9, 2018

2. Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Nov 9, 2018
  3. win 10 motherboard change, reactivating windows

Hi Famie,

If you are planning to change your motherboard, you will still be able to activate your Windows 10. In Windows 10 version 1607, there is a feature that you can link your Microsoft account to Windows 10 digital license on your device.
    This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

That being said, we suggest that you follow the steps given on this article
    to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to "mark it as an answer" to help those are facing the same problem.

Janeane Cru, Nov 9, 2018
  4. WhyMe Win User

New Motherboard and Reactivation

I **think** that if you are replacing a broken motherboard with an identical replacement then you have a good chance of successfully re-activating your current Win10 installation

Once you have installed your new identical motherboard to replace the broken one I recommend you do the following:
    • Speak to a Microsoft Activation Customer Service Representative on the phone.
    • You will be able to get the phone number via the activation screen in "Settings"
    • Clearly state that the motherboard used to initially activate Windows 10 had failed and needed to replaced
    • Clearly state that this is a repair and not an upgrade
    • Clearly state that you are replacing a defective motherboard with an identical like-for-like replacement (same make and model)
    • Clearly state again that this is definitely not an upgrade of your existing hardware

FYI, I have successfully re-activated previous versions of Windows after replacing a broken motherboard with an identical make and model. I used the method to ensure success.

If you are not 100% clear in the way you are expressing your self then you may not be successful. ie They will not re-activate if they believe you performed a major hardware upgrade

Good luck.

WhyMe, Nov 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot reactivate windows after a motherboard upgrade. - Similar Threads - Cannot reactivate motherboard

2. cannot reactivate windows after motherboard update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    cannot reactivate windows after motherboard update: i recently updated my motherboards BIOS and after that my pc says that windows is not activated. i had upgraded from windows 7 to 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-reactivate-windows-after-motherboard-update/a93ba7cf-61b3-4e71-9755-fc2c6c01fca6
  3. cannot reactivate windows after motherboard update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot reactivate windows after motherboard update: i recently updated my motherboards BIOS and after that my pc says that windows is not activated. i had upgraded from windows 7 to 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-reactivate-windows-after-motherboard-update/a93ba7cf-61b3-4e71-9755-fc2c6c01fca6
  4. cannot reactivate windows after motherboard update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade: I have recently upgraded my pc. the old motherboard and cpu went faulty and i put a second hand cpu and motherboard. Now have encountered a problem that my windows is activated not anymore and showing an error code 0xc004f213 saying there has been a hardware change. I have...
  6. Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade: I have recently upgraded my pc. the old motherboard and cpu went faulty and i put a second hand cpu and motherboard. Now have encountered a problem that my windows is activated not anymore and showing an error code 0xc004f213 saying there has been a hardware change. I have...
  7. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard upgrade: Hi there. I recently had a significant hardware upgrade to my PC but am still using all the old hard drives, including the one I installed Windows 10 on many years ago. I've since lost my activation key, so I went to updates & security > activation in my settings and ran the...
  8. reactivating windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

reactivating windows 10 after motherboard upgrade: My motherboard failed and I replaced it with a new board. Now windows 10 is prompting me to activate again. The activation code was embedded in the old motherboard and I don't have the code number. Activation says the code shown under system settings is not valid. Can I...
  9. Issues Reactivating Windows Ten after Motherboard Upgrade

Issues Reactivating Windows Ten after Motherboard Upgrade: Hello! I recently upgraded the motherboard on my PC from the one it originally came with. Now I am prompted to reactivate Windows, but cannot as it thinks the Windows product key has been activated on another device, when its the same device. The original motherboard was...
  10. Cannot reactivate windows after motherboard change.

Cannot reactivate windows after motherboard change.: hello all, I have Windows 10 pro digital license linked to my account. I recently changed motherboard of my PC and I am trying to reactivate windows by going to Activation page and using troubleshoot option 'i recently changed hardware' link. but it still cannot...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot reactivate windows

2. upgraded motherboard cant reactivate windows