Windows 10: Cannot reconnect back-up hard drive that had worked fine...shows 'disconnected

Discus and support Cannot reconnect back-up hard drive that had worked fine...shows 'disconnected in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The back-up worked fine for several years but now shows 'disconnected' for file & system image back-up. Have physically reconnected cable, which was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Casey RobertBaldwin, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Cannot reconnect back-up hard drive that had worked fine...shows 'disconnected

The back-up worked fine for several years but now shows 'disconnected' for file & system image back-up. Have physically reconnected cable, which was fine...still getting frequent messages to 'reconnect your drive'. HOW do you do that?

One other thing...Windows 10 up-dated to today, Jan 16/2020, dumped my graphics card driver a few months ago and replaced it with Windows Basic display driver. Have asked Windows about it twice, but no reply. Cannot get the original driver from maker on-line Thanks, CB

:)

Casey RobertBaldwin, Jan 16, 2020

2. USB 3.0 randomly disconnecting and reconnecting, not power config

So I have a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10, and an external USB 3 HDD. If I plug in the HDD, a process will begin. First the drive will appear with the drive letter only, and be unreadable, but in an unusual way. Any software that attempts to interact with it will hang until it either crashes or the drive is disconnected. During this stage the drive may disconnect and reconnect multiple times. If left in for long enough, the drive will finally show up with it's name, and be readable. However it still disconnects and reconnects.

Steps I have tried:

• Disabling the power saving features for all USB devices in Device Manager
    • Reinstalling all USB drivers
    • Testing hard disk on my desktop computer (where it works fine).
    • Powering down the drive for an extended time before trying again

Adrian Smith, Jan 16, 2020
  3. little cat, Jan 16, 2020
  4. Junaid_A Win User

Cannot reconnect back-up hard drive that had worked fine...shows 'disconnected

Disconnect and reconnect File History drive

Hi David,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To stop file history using a drive, you can try the steps listed below.

Ideally, File History will save copies of your files every hour, so disconnecting and reconnecting the backup drive every hour would be a tedious task. However, if you still would like to go for it, you may try the steps listed
    below.

• Open Settings and go to Update & Security > Backup using File History.
    • Scroll down to Backup to a different drive
      and choose Stop using the drive to disconnect the drive.
    • Later, when you would like to reconnect, go to
      Settings
      >
      Update & security>
      Backup>
      Add a drive to reconnect the drive.

Additional Info: Use File History to backup and restore
    in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

Cannot reconnect back-up hard drive that had worked fine...shows 'disconnected

1. Cannot reconnect back-up hard drive that had worked fine...shows 'disconnected - Similar Threads - Cannot reconnect hard

2. Hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive not showing up: After cleaning my pc, my computer has been facing a lot of hard drive issues. At first my hard drive wasn't showing up in file explorer and disk management, but today it automatically came back. It had a different drive letter and when I opened a file in the drive it woud...
  3. Hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drive not showing up: After cleaning my pc, my computer has been facing a lot of hard drive issues. At first my hard drive wasn't showing up in file explorer and disk management, but today it automatically came back. It had a different drive letter and when I opened a file in the drive it woud...
  4. External Hard drive disconnecting and reconnecting / freezing entire laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External Hard drive disconnecting and reconnecting / freezing entire laptop: I tried chkdsk and it came up with these 2 errors, external ran fine before but randomly started happening after a few months. Any help would be appreciated.An unspecified error occurred 6e74667363686b2e 171f.An unspecified error occurred 696e647863686b2e 9cb....
  5. External Hard drive disconnecting and reconnecting / freezing entire laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard drive disconnecting and reconnecting / freezing entire laptop: I tried chkdsk and it came up with these 2 errors, external ran fine before but randomly started happening after a few months. Any help would be appreciated.An unspecified error occurred 6e74667363686b2e 171f.An unspecified error occurred 696e647863686b2e 9cb....
  6. External Hard drive disconnecting and reconnecting / freezing entire laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Back Up cannot find external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back Up cannot find external hard drive: Hi,I'm trying to do a complete back up of my computer on an external drive using Backup on Windows 10.I've tried 5 different external drives and so far only one an SSD drive can be found while the other 4 not SSD are not found.I don't know if the fact that the only drive that...
  8. Single Drive Disconnecting and Reconnecting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Single Drive Disconnecting and Reconnecting: Hello! I have a drive that keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. It used to do it once every week, then once every day, and now, once every hour, and the speed of disconnection is increasing. It a Seagate 4TB Backup Plus Desktop Drive. I'm using windows 10 Pro Specs: Windows...
  9. My hard drive keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My hard drive keeps disconnecting and reconnecting: I have a razer blade stealth 2016 and a 1 TB Toshiba hard-drive. I have a a couple files and some games on the hard drive. It does this disconnect, reconnect thing when in use and when not in use. It makes it extremely annoying because data gets lost if I am using a file on...
  10. back up hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    back up hard drive: I have two hard drives. My back up program selected one of the hard drives for backing up. How can I change so that my second hard drive is the one that my backup program uses?...