Windows 10: Cannot recover Activation Image, Switched from Professional to Education with A pro key...

Discus and support Cannot recover Activation Image, Switched from Professional to Education with A pro key... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I cannot recover my activation as Windows thinks its now an "education" version despite installing Windows 10 Pro, the Store works fine, and so does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Connor Duthie, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Cannot recover Activation Image, Switched from Professional to Education with A pro key...

I cannot recover my activation as Windows thinks its now an "education" version despite installing Windows 10 Pro, the Store works fine, and so does Remote Desktop trying to use a windows 10 install USB does not work either as it shows up with a vlk licence agreement instead of a user based agreement.

Not sure how to resolve this since using recovery _> reset this device without data loss does not work and neither does download windows 10 using the Windows 10 Media Creation tool any help would be appreciated.

Windows 10 Version: 1803 (17134.376)

:)

Connor Duthie, Nov 12, 2018

2. Change from Windows 10 Education edition to Windows 10 Professional

Windows 10 Education is an academic edition of Windows 10 used in schools. Features like Cortana are removed because of the environment it is used in.

Windows 10 Pro Education builds on the commercial version of Windows 10 Pro and provides important management controls needed in schools. Windows 10 Pro Education is effectively a variant of Windows 10 Pro that provides education-specific default settings,
    including the removal of Cortana1. These default settings disable tips, tricks and suggestions & Windows Store suggestions.

Windows 10 editions for education customers

If you want to downgrade to the Windows 10 Pro edition, you will need to perform a clean install and you will need a unique product key to install it. The Windows 10 Pro Edu or Windows 10 Education key will not activate Windows 10 Pro.

If you don't have a license for Windows 10 Pro, you will either need to request it from the institution you got Windows 10 Education; or you will have to purchase a license for Pro, then perform a clean install.

Step 1: Buy Windows 10 Home/Pro

Step 2: How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10

Andre Da Costa, Nov 12, 2018
  3. samir89ns Win User
    Change from Windows 10 Education edition to Windows 10 Professional

Hey, guys. I have Windows 10 Education on my laptop, and the thing is I don't like it because I seem to be unable to do some trivial things, and Cortana is unavailable too. Also projecting to this laptops screen is unavailable, even though it has Anniversary Update. So
    now I'm interested to know if it is possible to do?

I would love if there is a way to simply enter a product key, download what needs to be downloaded, and simply install Windows 10 Professional just like I would install any update. I hope this is how upgrading from Home to Professional would work for example?

The other thing is that I would like to know what's the thing with Education edition? From what I've seen, there are ways to upgrade from Home to Pro, from Home/Pro to Enterprise, from Pro to Edu, etc... So does that mean that switching from Professional
    to Education is consider as an upgrade? I don't get that, as Education edition seems so crippled to me compared to Professional. I don't know, maybe it does have some features which I am not going to use.

And lastly, as far as I know, it should be possible to activate Windows 10 Pro with Windows 8.1 Pro product key. I'm I right? Or should I be able to activate Windows 10 Pro with Windows 10 Education product key? The thing is that I can get Windows 7 Pro,
    Windows 8.1 Pro, and Windows 10 Education for free from my university.

Thanks in advance!

samir89ns, Nov 12, 2018
  4. Kari Win User

Cannot recover Activation Image, Switched from Professional to Education with A pro key...

Windows 10 Education Pro

I've not had an opportunity to test Pro Education edition yet but I am running normal Education on a Hyper-V virtual machine and on dual boot with Pro on a laptop. Basically Education is exactly as Enterprise, meant for domain or Azure AD use. Main differences when compared to Pro are missing Cortana and no possibility to use Microsoft account as initial user account when setting up Windows, although when selecting initial user as local domain user a normal local account will be created which can then be switched to a Microsoft account instead of joining a domain.

Native Windows apps in Windows 10 Education edition are the same than in Pro edition, Cortana being the only exception.

If you already have setup Windows 10 Pro on your machines with a customised image I can see no benefits in doing the job again deploying an almost similar OS. This is of course only my personal subjective opinion based on what I know at the moment; I have no knowledge or insight about what additional features (see highlighted part in quote below) Pro Education might be and if they would be reason enough to upgrade to Pro Education.

Quote from https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...tion-customers:

Thema:

Cannot recover Activation Image, Switched from Professional to Education with A pro key...

1. Cannot recover Activation Image, Switched from Professional to Education with A pro key... - Similar Threads - Cannot recover Activation

2. Will education key works on pro?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will education key works on pro?: Hi i have windows 11 education key via my university Can i use it to activate pro or homeOr its only for education versionsAnd is there really a difference between them?THANKS...
  3. Will education key works on pro?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will education key works on pro?: Hi i have windows 11 education key via my university Can i use it to activate pro or homeOr its only for education versionsAnd is there really a difference between them?THANKS...
  4. Cannot activate Windows 7 Professional with original product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot activate Windows 7 Professional with original product key: I am getting a message saying "This copy of Windows is not genuine" on a Windows 7 Pro system and when I enter the original product key , I get "The product key you typed has been blocked from use by Microsoft" Code:0xC004C003.Is there any way to get this activated or to...
  5. Cannot activate Windows 7 Professional with original product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot activate Windows 7 Professional with original product key: I am getting a message saying "This copy of Windows is not genuine" on a Windows 7 Pro system and when I enter the original product key , I get "The product key you typed has been blocked from use by Microsoft" Code:0xC004C003.Is there any way to get this activated or to...
  6. Upgrade from Windows 10 Pro Education to Windows 10 Professional

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from Windows 10 Pro Education to Windows 10 Professional: I have a laptop with Windows 10 Pro Education Version, due to some issue windows is not booting, I wish to install Windows 10 Pro, I wish to get the old data like windows.old, Does this upgradation create the windows.old folder?...
  7. Activate by Home Key - self Switched to PRO

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Activate by Home Key - self Switched to PRO: I bought home key for cheap [45 USD] (It may be not legit but microsoft web says its partnered reseller) - i installed clean windows 10 home - put key i purchased and it says it cannot activate > it updated windows to pro (WTF?) and i can't activate key now even by phone...
  8. Recovering Windows 10 Pro activation key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Recovering Windows 10 Pro activation key: I purchased an upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro three years ago. I still have the email with the order confirmation number in it and can see the order in my order history, however the email does not contain the Windows 10 Pro product key and the store order just...
  9. Switching from an education account to a pro account

Switching from an education account to a pro account: Hello, I've been using my student address to have Windows 10 education on my pc, my student address will soon expire and I would like to switch the address to my own outlook address but there are no option in my account to switch a local account... Any idea what can I do ?...
  10. Switch from Windows 10 Education to Home or Pro?

Switch from Windows 10 Education to Home or Pro?: So I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad off eBay from a reputable seller, and it arrived today. It was advertised as having Windows 10 Pro on it, but actually came loaded with Windows 10 Education! It doesn't help matters that the CoA on the bottom of the laptop is for Windows 7 Pro....