Windows 10: Cannot recover Win10 - “Windows cannot find a system image on this computer”

Discus and support Cannot recover Win10 - “Windows cannot find a system image on this computer” in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi,The M.2 SSD C drive on mother board wore out on my Dell XPS 8930, and totally failed. I replaced itwith a new 500 GB M.2 SSD, obviously the recovery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Bob_650, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Bob_650 Win User

Cannot recover Win10 - “Windows cannot find a system image on this computer”

Hi,The M.2 SSD C drive on mother board wore out on my Dell XPS 8930, and totally failed. I replaced itwith a new 500 GB M.2 SSD, obviously the recovery tools on the PC are non-existant. So I turned to USB drive recovery methods, and have struck out on all counts.I created four USB recovery drives:1. I made a recovery USB drive at time of purchase.2. I recreated new recovery USB drive formatted xFAT using the Dell's recovery tool. 3. created a drive with only the Dell.com Win10 ISO file formatted xFAT 4. eated a drive with only the from Microsoft.com , downloaded ISO image file o

:)

Bob_650, Jun 23, 2022

2. Recover System Image

Hello,

I am having trouble recovering a system image. I created a system image on a USB flash drive following these steps that someone posted on these forums.

- create a directory on your USB drive
    - right-click the directory and choose "Share with", "Specific people"
    - choose yourself from the list of users and click Share and Done
    - in the "Create System Image" menu choose "On a network location"
    - now enter the URL for your share (\\your-computer\sharename)
    - enter your username and password and click OK

I shipped my computer to dell. They wiped it and sent it back to me. I got it back, held down F12 at start up, and tried to reimage it. My computer couldn’t find the saved image with on my flash drive, nor the copy I added to my documents. It only lets you
    search over my network, so I typed in the path to my own computer and another on my network. My computer can’t find the image. Then I spent 4 hours on the phone with Microsoft. We tried booting from Windows 7 via a flash drive and recovering the reimage. Still
    can’t find the files. We tried moving the image file to a new disk and extracting the files via a 3rd party. Didn’t work.

The reimage is saved as a 85.5GB Hard Disk Image File. When I double click it, it says “The disk image isn’t initialized, contains partitions that aren’t recognizable, or contains volumes that haven’t been assigned to drive letters. Please use Disk management
    snap-in to make sure that the disk, partitions, and volumes are in a usable state.

I have now also tried to access the system image by attaching the virtual hard disk. The first time I did this nothing appeared to happen, but now it says that it has already been attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated; I have lost hundreds of hours
    of work and spent 12 hours trying to recover what seemed like a prudent backup.

Mitchell#K, Jun 23, 2022
  3. K_hanks Win User
    windows 10 recovering to a system image

I am having a similar problem except my PC was upgraded from Windows 7. My PC locked up and 'crashed' when I had to use a Hard Stop (holding the Power Button down) when it seemed to be taking forever to shut down. I tried to restore my PC from a System Image
    and I got the message:

"Windows cannot restore a System Image to a computer that has different Firmware. The System Image was created on a computer using BIOS and this computer is is using EFI."

The System Image I used was rather old and I wasn't sure if it was made pre Win10 upgrade. Therefore, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 from the Recovery Disks I had made, upgraded it to Windows 10 (my 4K Display Adapter and Monitor won't work with the standard
    Windows 7. I re-installed the other software and got my PC working well. As a precaution, I made a complete System Image Backup and had it all properly identified, etc.

Then, just as a test, I tried to go through the steps to recover my HDD from the System Image. This is the exact same HDD that I just got Windows 10 loaded on! And sure enough, I got the same message!...

"Windows cannot restore a System Image to a computer that has different Firmware. The System Image was created on a computer using BIOS and this computer is is using EFI."

Is there anyway to be a able to restore the Windows 10 system from a System Image? Is there any conflict with my Display Adapter? Windows 10 installed it automatically when the PC was upgraded from the Windows 7.

I would appreciate any help I can get because I'd like to be able to use the System Image if my PC crashes again.

K_hanks, Jun 23, 2022
  4. user33331 Win User

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Jun 23, 2022
Thema:

1. Cannot recover Win10 - “Windows cannot find a system image on this computer” - Similar Threads - Cannot recover Win10

2. Windows cannot find my system image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows cannot find my system image: Hello,I have a Surface Laptop 3 which is about 3-4 years old. It has recently refused to move beyond the black and white windows logo screen on switching on.I fouond a set of instructions which required my Serial No - typed this in and got a set of instructions for creating a...
  3. Windows cannot find my system image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cannot find my system image: Hello,I have a Surface Laptop 3 which is about 3-4 years old. It has recently refused to move beyond the black and white windows logo screen on switching on.I fouond a set of instructions which required my Serial No - typed this in and got a set of instructions for creating a...
  4. Cannot recover Win10 - “Windows cannot find a system image on this computer”

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot recover Win10 - “Windows cannot find a system image on this computer”: Hi,The M.2 SSD C drive on mother board wore out on my Dell XPS 8930, and totally failed. I replaced itwith a new 500 GB M.2 SSD, obviously the recovery tools on the PC are non-existant. So I turned to USB drive recovery methods, and have struck out on all counts.I created...
  5. Cannot recover Win10 - “Windows cannot find a system image on this computer”

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot recover Win10 - “Windows cannot find a system image on this computer”: Hi,The M.2 SSD C drive on mother board wore out on my Dell XPS 8930, and totally failed. I replaced itwith a new 500 GB M.2 SSD, obviously the recovery tools on the PC are non-existant. So I turned to USB drive recovery methods, and have struck out on all counts.I created...
  6. Acer E 15 Windows cannot find a system image on this computer

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Acer E 15 Windows cannot find a system image on this computer: My Acer E 15 getting very slow, I used a "Windows 10 Pro Full Version" CD to try to install a clean version of OS on my 1000GB HDD/SSD but didn't go well, touch pad, network adapter ... cannot be detected. I then tried to use "System Image Recovery" to see if I can restore it...
  7. "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer": [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]how to fix my laptop anybody help me please * Original title: How can i fix it help me [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-cannot-find-a-system-image-on-this/81ee505c-99c8-419f-bddc-22db92167dd5
  8. Cannot do System Image After Win10 Install of 1903

Cannot do System Image After Win10 Install of 1903: Strange things abound. I have used Macrium free for years and my first problem has emerged and wondered if it is centered around what I keep reading about; CBT. I try to do a back up and it starts off doing so and then I get an error code 9. Read up on Macrium forums and...
  9. Windows cannot find a system image on this computer

in Windows 10 News
    Windows cannot find a system image on this computer: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you are using a System Image that has been created by Windows Backup and Restore Tool, and using it restore your computer and you receive an error message – Windows cannot find a system image on this computer, then [...] This post Windows cannot find a...
  10. System cannot find hard drive to put system image on

System cannot find hard drive to put system image on: Greetings, I have a new rig. I want to make a backup system image to another drive (3Gb SATA). It works well (gaming drive). And is "seen" by Win 10 in File Explorer and otherwise works. But the system backup windows cannot find it. I hit the refresh option and it does...