Windows 10: Cannot Reduce Windows Explorer Column Widths to Less than 210

Discus and support Cannot Reduce Windows Explorer Column Widths to Less than 210 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Any help?I can't find any answers to this anywhere on the web.Somehow, Windows has defaulted to a minimum width of 210 pixels for EVERY column in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TechArrrrrg, May 13, 2021.

1. Cannot Reduce Windows Explorer Column Widths to Less than 210

Any help?I can't find any answers to this anywhere on the web.Somehow, Windows has defaulted to a minimum width of 210 pixels for EVERY column in Windows Explorer, and I cannot go any lower!My Status column, Size column, etc, are enormous, and I cannot make them any smaller???"Size All Columns to Fit" should make these smaller, no?Same with the Details pane - I should be able to modify it there to say... 12 pixels. No dice!

:)

TechArrrrrg, May 13, 2021

2. Column Width in List View in File Explorer

I went through all of the above steps, but sadly this doesn't work when viewing folders in *list* view. Any idea how to adjust the column widths there?

Up until a couple of months ago the column widths were always simply equal to the longest name in the column or the longest name in the folder. Now there is a couple of extra centimetres in there for no discernible reason.

RichLehmann, May 13, 2021
  3. Is it possible to reduce the column width to less than 80 pixels in Windows Explorer?

Is it possible to reduce the column width to less than 80 pixels in Windows Explorer in W10?

And before we proceed, YES, I know how to choose the different columns and
    YES, I know there are alternative views but I want to show a lot of columns in detail format and a lot of space is wasted as I cannot reduce the size of the columns below 80 pixels. Is there a registry tweak or something that can override this
    stupid restriction?

BigStevie1973, May 13, 2021
  4. Cannot Reduce Windows Explorer Column Widths to Less than 210

With the Windows File Explorer, is there any way of changing the default display window column widths?

With the Windows File Explorer, is there any way of changing the default display window column widths?

I have some files with very long names, and I always want to see the file extensions as well as the names. In the default Windows File Explorer, the first column listing the names of the files is too narrow for some of my file names with extensions. I
    can drag the right margin of the first column to the right and fix that, but the next time I open File Explorer, I have to do it again. I would like to set the column widths and have that be the default thereafter.

Lewis D. Eigen, May 13, 2021
Thema:

Cannot Reduce Windows Explorer Column Widths to Less than 210

1. Cannot Reduce Windows Explorer Column Widths to Less than 210 - Similar Threads - Cannot Reduce Explorer

2. Permanently Changing Column Width in Windows Explorer Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Permanently Changing Column Width in Windows Explorer Search: Hello, I'm a long time dweller and first time poster. I've recently run into an issue where my windows 10 doesn't seem to remember my default column width after each search. In other words, each time I open This PC icon, and type in the upper right hand corner to do a search...
  3. File Explorer Template Column Width

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Template Column Width: How do I change the Documents, Pictures, Music, and View templates? The existing templates are not particularly useful for those of us who use full-size monitors instead of cell phones. For example, the "Name" column in the Documents template is too narrow to be useful on...
  4. explorer lag/slow with column "width" and "height", alternative?

in Windows 10 Support
    explorer lag/slow with column "width" and "height", alternative?: as title suggested, some folders have width and height column to be able to see images max dimension in width and height without having to open it, but it lags and very slow, what to do? 171639
  5. How to set a default column width in windows explorer?

How to set a default column width in windows explorer?: Every time I open a folder, the Name column is too narrow and all contents display as "Part of the filenam...". This means navigating through a directory I have to: open > resize > open > resize > open > resize...I would like to set a default column width that is large, say...
  6. Auto resize column widths in Windows?

Auto resize column widths in Windows?: I know that if I open a folder in W10 there are numer****umn bar, Ctrl +, etc Is there any way of setting this as a default, s****ze when a folder is opened?...
  7. Reduce Desktop Display Width

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reduce Desktop Display Width: I have an extra wide monitor so watching videos in widescreen does not take up all of the screen. The issue I have is that the left 1-1/4" of my 31" wide screen is real blurry (maybe from screen cleaner?). When I right click OR left click on Start I have to make my selections...
  8. Auto-Define Column Width Dynamically in File Explorer: Size all columns to fit (as a...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Auto-Define Column Width Dynamically in File Explorer: Size all columns to fit (as a...: Size all columns to fit (as a default view). I thought the former question asked was a fairly straight-forward question, especially since I typed the request into Google almost verbatim so of course a) the question was, indeed, straightforward; b) from the fact that there...
  9. How to reduce width of the taskbar buttons?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reduce width of the taskbar buttons?: Hello, This is in reference to this tutorial. What I want to do is to reduce the width of the taskbar buttons even further...that is, even shorter width than what's shown as size 38 in that tutorial. I want the buttons in my taskbar to show their respective icons along...
  10. Narrow columns to less than 80 pixels in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Narrow columns to less than 80 pixels in File Explorer?: Hi Brink - since you know more about File Explorer that anyone (that I have come across anyway) - have you worked out yet how to manage column width. In the past (maybe XP) we could drag the columns to any width - but for the last n years we have been limited to 80 pixels....