Windows 10: Cannot Reinstall Windows on GPT Partition

Discus and support Cannot Reinstall Windows on GPT Partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I need to reinstall Windows 10 on a partitioned hard drive. The hard drive has 8 partitions - I only care about the 1 partition that has my data on and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jdp13, Jan 23, 2019.

1. jdp13 Win User

Cannot Reinstall Windows on GPT Partition

I need to reinstall Windows 10 on a partitioned hard drive. The hard drive has 8 partitions - I only care about the 1 partition that has my data on and I don't want to lose it during the install. Other partitions are where I had Windows originally installed, system recovery, MBR reserved and some other randoms.

I tried to select the partition which currently has my corrupted Windows on but cannot install there because it is in GPT format.

I am trying to install from the Windows media creation tool which has been burned to a USB stick in NTFS format.

How can I reinstall without losing my GPT partition with data on it?

:)

jdp13, Jan 23, 2019

2. clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

Hi,

1. You cannot convert mbr to gpt without data loss. otherwise, you can follow directions here:

FROM WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE:

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using a command line

• Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

• Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type clean.

2. I'd suggest converting your vista drive to a virtual machine, load that up on your windows 10 system and use a program like virtualbox to run it.

CoatH4nger, Jan 23, 2019
  3. Smittychat., Jan 23, 2019
  4. Guyonskis Win User

Help! GTP partitions not detected.

I was really dumb.
    Windows asked me to initialize the disk... I didn't see GPT on the list so I selected MBR. I realize now that GUID = GPT. *Frown Cannot Reinstall Windows on GPT Partition :(*Frown Cannot Reinstall Windows on GPT Partition :(*Frown Cannot Reinstall Windows on GPT Partition :(... did this erase my partitions?

Guyonskis, Jan 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Cannot Reinstall Windows on GPT Partition - Similar Threads - Cannot Reinstall GPT

2. Understanding GPT Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Understanding GPT Partition: I just purchased a new PC. My old PC, which I had for more than 10 years had a 1 tb hdd. If I understand drives the the drive is MBR. The new drive is a SSD BPT. When I got this new one home the first thing I did was delete the extra partitions. Needless to say when I tried...
  3. windows 10 cannot install to this GPT PARTITION DISK

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 cannot install to this GPT PARTITION DISK: WINDOWS 10 cannot install to GPT partition style disk. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-cannot-install-to-this-gpt-partition/3e7db08c-e8fa-4435-a422-83948e1d86a0
  4. Partition sсheme GPT

Partition sсheme GPT: Hi , i have EFI and windows 10. I want to install Windows Thin(32bit) but in a program like Rufus I can only choose MBR and NTFS. I cant install. How to write to a USB Windows Thin with GPT and FAT32. Did you know live usb with installation Windows Thin? 143203
  5. gpt partition issue

gpt partition issue: I recently purchase a new ssd and decided to do a fresh install of windows on it, only to run into a host of unsolvable problems. Right off the bat windows refused to be installed on to my ssd, so I cleaned it, no effect. So i went into bios and changed from UEFI legacy to...
  6. Partition oddity with GPT

Partition oddity with GPT: I was going to do a Linux Mint upgrade and ran into a partition problem. I had an overlapping partition. I got that straightened out, but when I run Gparted I get the following message and would like to repair the partition table accordingly. While it is a Linux message; the...
  7. 14367 and GPT Partitions

14367 and GPT Partitions: New MB and first time with GPT partitions. Basic question, do I need all of these? 53638
  8. Hide an gpt partition

Hide an gpt partition: Hi, i need to hide my recovery partition but i'm using gpt. does anyone know how to hide? the Set id only work in mbr mode *Sad thanks 36927
  9. Unable to reinstall to previous system partition (GPT)

Unable to reinstall to previous system partition (GPT): I tried to reinstall Windows to my existing system partition (I would like it to make one of those Windows.old folders). When I select the system partition, I get the error: Windows Setup Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT...
  10. Cannot install Windows to GPT partition

Cannot install Windows to GPT partition: I have Windows 10 Pro installed on a partition of an SSD (one of four partitions; the other three being rather small and, I suppose, created by Windows 10 itself during the previous installation procedure. I attempted to reinstall Windows 10 to this partition but Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot reinstall windows 10 GPT format