Windows 10: Cannot relocate Documents/Pictures anymore from the default location

Discus and support Cannot relocate Documents/Pictures anymore from the default location in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Part of my job is to login to customer's laptops who bought them from us for a tuning session. I often advice them to NOT connect to the internet while... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Spartan, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Spartan Win User

Cannot relocate Documents/Pictures anymore from the default location

Part of my job is to login to customer's laptops who bought them from us for a tuning session. I often advice them to NOT connect to the internet while creating the account during the initial setup wizard otherwise they will be forced to sign in with a Microsoft account.

That is not an issue even if they forgot as I can simply convert the account back to a local one but what I've noticed recently in Windows 10 Build 2004 is that the Documents/Pictures folder goes to the OneDrive folder as a location by default since they might've signed in with a Microsoft account, I am able to change the location of all other user libraries like Favorites, Music, Videos, Downloads but NOT Documents or Pictures. It throws in a permissions warning. I have tried setting it to the everyone group, exiting OneDrive, even signing out of it and uninstalling OneDrive but those 2 folders are locked and you can't change the location.

Anyone noticed this if they installed Windows 10 on a new machine recently?

:)

Spartan, Aug 13, 2020
  2. mrgeek Win User

Correct Directory Location For Pictures Folder

"Now Documents, Videos etc say file location is This PC. But Pictures file location is C:\Users\PeteyBoPetey\Pictures."

If we understand you correctly, the issue is that Pictures doesn't appear in the left panel under This PC. The correct location IS C:\Users\PeteyBoPetey\Pictures. This is only an issue of using Step 8 in the tutorial to add it back to the list. See if this screenshot is what you want to achieve- put Pictures folder back in list on L.

Cannot relocate Documents/Pictures anymore from the default location [​IMG]

mrgeek, Aug 13, 2020
  3. Mewpraew Win User
    Relocate folder locations

I got myself into this mess. Please pleaseee, if anyone could help me solving it I'd be really grateful since it's driving me mad.

Initially I wanted to relocate my main folders such as Documents/Music/Downloads etc. into new location. However, I somehow managed to combine the 'target location' of Downloads, Pictures and Music together and for the life of me, I cannot split them.

I tried to relocation each one to the new assigned folder but they ended up combining anyway.

i also tried restore to default for each of them.

Since I also suck at explaining, here is the photo attached below

Cannot relocate Documents/Pictures anymore from the default location [​IMG]

Mewpraew, Aug 13, 2020
  4. Yolvi Ell Win User

Documents Destination

The next troubleshooting step we suggest is to restore the default location of the folders. To do this, follow these steps:

• Right-click the Start button.

• Choose File Explorer.

• Type shell:UsersFilesFolder in the address bar.

Cannot relocate Documents/Pictures anymore from the default location d9ffeca6-0604-494d-9388-070cdb9a5eeb.png

• Right-click the Documents folder.

• Click the Location tab.

• Click Restore Default.

• Click OK.

Follow the same steps to restore the default location for your Pictures folder.

Give these steps a shot and check if the folders are unlinked from OneDrive.

Yolvi Ell, Aug 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Cannot relocate Documents/Pictures anymore from the default location - Similar Threads - Cannot relocate Documents

2. How can I relocate my pictures folder to its default location?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I relocate my pictures folder to its default location?: I recently installed a new SSD just for my OS and I wanted to have all my media files on my HDD. therefore I was trying to change the location of my pictures folder by going to properties > move > "F:\Users\Varad\Pictures" but accidently I clicked enter when I had just...
  3. How can I relocate my pictures folder to its default location?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I relocate my pictures folder to its default location?: I recently installed a new SSD just for my OS and I wanted to have all my media files on my HDD. therefore I was trying to change the location of my pictures folder by going to properties > move > "F:\Users\Varad\Pictures" but accidently I clicked enter when I had just...
  4. How can I relocate my pictures folder to its default location?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot relocate "Picture" folder to original place

Cannot relocate "Picture" folder to original place: So i wanted to move my Picture folder from C to D drive but i accidentally didn't specify a folder and i relocated to the D drive itself and when i try to revert back to default it give me this error: translated it says: Cannot relocate folder here Failed to create the...
  6. Change default windows documents location from OneDrive\Documents to User\Documents

Change default windows documents location from OneDrive\Documents to User\Documents: I unfortunately set this up when I installed windows to save my Documents to OneDrive unknowingly that instead of syncing my actual documents it creates and changes the default documents folder to a OneDrive folder. How do I undo this?This...
  7. Trying to relocate Documents from a OneDrive location to a HDD location, but access is denied

Trying to relocate Documents from a OneDrive location to a HDD location, but access is denied: I've set up a new PC, and having installed Win10 I plugged in my old HDD J: drive, and am trying to redirect the default Documents folder in the explorer This PC folder to the one on J:. Every time I try, though, I get the message "Can't move the folder because there is a...
  8. Relocate default documents in windows 10

Relocate default documents in windows 10: After the March update, the default documents folder is a fixed system folder tied to One Drive. I don't use One Drive and want to remove it and relocate my Documents folder to another drive. How can this be done without disrupting other system functions?...
  9. Cannot restore default location of Documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot restore default location of Documents folder: I accidentically set the location of my Documents folder to D:\ and now cannot restore it to C:\Users\MyName\Documents. When I try this I get the message "Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under D:\System Volume Information. Access is denied". How can I...
  10. Relocate folder locations

in Windows 10 Support
    Relocate folder locations: I got myself into this mess. Please pleaseee, if anyone could help me solving it I'd be really grateful since it's driving me mad. Initially I wanted to relocate my main folders such as Documents/Music/Downloads etc. into new location. However, I somehow managed to combine...