Windows 10: Cannot remove a dead link from My PC

Discus and support Cannot remove a dead link from My PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I no longer have system folders, ever since Microsoft removed the "system" designation from their default folders. But there remained a dead Pictures... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ineuw, Jul 6, 2020.

1. ineuw Win User

Cannot remove a dead link from My PC

I no longer have system folders, ever since Microsoft removed the "system" designation from their default folders. But there remained a dead Pictures folder link (also marked as a system folder) attached on the branch between "My PC" and "C:\Drive". When clicked, it tells me that the source folder does not exist. But, I am unable to remove it and tried the following:
    sfc /scannow reported everything is ok,
    used DISM restorehealth with no change,
    booted into safe mode and tried to delete it.
    Any recommendations on how to remove it?

:)

ineuw, Jul 6, 2020

2. Unable to remove my microsoft account from a linked pc

Hi Dave,

To help you with your concern in deleting your Microsoft account from a device, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• Have you tried deleting your Microsoft account directly from the old laptop?
    • How did you go about removing the account from the old laptop?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you create a new local account with admin rights first, then remove the current Microsoft account by following the steps on this

article

We look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Jul 6, 2020
  3. COMPUTIAC Win User
    Cannot access the Sound control panel

Here is a link on how to do a Refresh of Windows 10.
    This should correct the problems you have.

It will also install the best drivers MS can determine for the hardware found.
    Which means you will not have to search for or install any drivers yourself.

I suggest you do the Option 2.

Refresh Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

When you get to step 7, choose "Keep My Files"
    It will do this to your PC .

• This is to refresh Windows 10.
    • Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.
    • Removes apps and drivers you installed.
    • Removes changes you made to settings.
    • Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)

COMPUTIAC, Jul 6, 2020
  4. SL16 Win User

Dead links in emails from Microsoft re Win10

I like Win10 Mail and Calendar App but the link is now dead for some reasons (maybe some unrequested automatic Win10 upgrades?) and it cannot be recovered despite using suggested procedures from some sites. Could you please help me recover that simple and
    effective App?

Regards,

SL16, Jul 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Cannot remove a dead link from My PC - Similar Threads - Cannot remove dead

2. Removed apps link is dead

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Removed apps link is dead: I’ve just reset my pc, the removed app link appeared on my desktop and I opened it and the list was there. Great. About 15 minutes later I open the link again and it’s “File not found”. I didn’t delete anything, no idea why the link is now dead. Any ideas? submitted by...
  3. Link to Windows is DEAD. Help.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Link to Windows is DEAD. Help.: PC: Lenovo 330s on Windows 10 20H2 Phone: Galaxy S10+ It started with the phone not being able to sync. I literally tried everything. restarting both devices, making sure date/time was right, disabling metered connection on both devices, allowing notification access,...
  4. Cannot remove work account from my own pc

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot remove work account from my own pc: Hello, Due to Covid I'm working from home a lot and have been working on my own PC as it has multiple screens instead of the work laptop. We use Teams and since recently when I start Teams from my own PC when I login it asks a question along the lines of "allow...
  5. Remove an additional drive link from 'This PC'

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove an additional drive link from 'This PC': I recently added a new ssd to my PC and somehow theres an extra link to D:\ drive listed under 'This PC' as seen in the highlighted image. I have searched tirelessly to try removing it or even hiding it as it only showing what is in the drive like the actual drive icon at...
  6. Cannot remove Dropbox from a PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot remove Dropbox from a PC: Dropbox showed up on Navigation; however, it is not active. No matter what I try it will not go away. Please tell me how to get rid of it (remove it). See screen print below. All assistance is appreciated. My email address is: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  7. "check for updates" is a dead link

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    "check for updates" is a dead link: when I click on search and type "check for updates", or "windows updates settings", I can't open the result. I click, and nothing happens. But if I go to "settings", and then to "update and security", it opens just fine. What is the matter with "check for updates", and...
  8. Remove "Dead Apps" from Notifications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove "Dead Apps" from Notifications: I have the following in Notifications [img] I have uninstalled Screenshot Captor, I have run CCleaner over the Registry, I removed all traces of Screenshot Captor from the registry and I've rebooted - yet the Notification list still has those nine entries in for...
  9. Cannot remove dead devices: "Operation Cancelled due to ...."

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot remove dead devices: "Operation Cancelled due to ....": have a new install desktop Windows 10 Pro. Sharing printers around the LAN. There are two devices that it picked up on the net that are phantoms: the printers no longer exist, were attached to another windows machine that no longer lives. When I try to 'remove device" I get...
  10. Dead links on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Dead links on desktop: I have two sets of links on my desktop. One set acts exactly as they should, the other set is a mystery. They appeared spontaneously. I'd blame an upgrade, but I'm not sure. The other set, the dead links, cannot be dragged. Clicking on them does nothing. Resizing the desktop...