Windows 10: Cannot remove a user from my system

Discus and support Cannot remove a user from my system in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; When I was setting up my new laptop, I created an Administrator profile for myself using my Gmail address and a Standard User profile for my wife using... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Broseph_123, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Cannot remove a user from my system

When I was setting up my new laptop, I created an Administrator profile for myself using my Gmail address and a Standard User profile for my wife using her Hotmail Microsoft address. Even though I am the Administrator, whenever I restart my system or boot it up from Shutdown status my computer insists on loading her profile automatically instead of mine.

I tried to find a way to indicate which profile I wanted to load upon boot up, but could find nothing in Settings or in online forums. When that failed, I tried to delete my wife's Standard User profile from my system entirely.

First, I went into Settings and removed my wife's account there. You can see in the screenshot that my Administrator account is the only one present on my system.

Cannot remove a user from my system 8b05e9c3-5f1a-4c1a-8dbe-81feeb717d0c?upload=true.jpg

Then, I rebooted my system and was greeted with the following screen. The scribbled out area is my wife's name.

Cannot remove a user from my system [​IMG]

Since my wife's user profile is no longer present on my system, I have no idea why my computer is still trying to load it. I thought that it might still be present elsewhere, so I took a few more steps. I went into Advanced System Settings and deleted her profile there. You can see in the screenshot below that my profile 'Broseph' is the only one listed.

I then checked 'Family & Other Users' in Settings and found that my wife was listed under the 'Your Family' section, so I went online and removed her from my family group. You can see that her name is no longer showing on this screen.

I even attempted to get into the Registry Editor using instructions that I found here on the Windows Forum, but I was unable to locate the 'ProfileList' folder indicated in the instructions.

Cannot remove a user from my system 4c46be86-b7cf-407a-85b9-847edb12371b?upload=true.png

You can see in my C/:Users folder that my profile is the only one that is present on my computer. That being the case, my computer is still attempting to load my wife's deleted profile upon startup.

I don't know what to do at this point. I just want my machine to load my Administrator profile automatically upon startup, but Windows doesn't want to make it easy for me. My only thought is that my system is deprioritizing my user because it is tied to a Gmail address. My wife's user was under a Hotmail email address, so is it possible that Windows is prioritizing her user because Hotmail is owned by Microsoft? At no time did I tell my system to load her profile first and I simply don't understand why it is still trying to load her profile even though it has been eradicated from my system.

Please help.

:)

Broseph_123, Mar 27, 2020

2. Removing a "hidden" user and user files

Thanks for your patience. I was able with "Net User" to remove the left over user. It no longer appears when I invoke Net User.

Now for the user's folder which remains behind. After performing the series of steps that you suggested, I attempted to delete this folder. The result again was an error message about permission
    Cannot remove a user from my system 1579d3b5-d6d3-4481-ad8c-0dae5f689a1a.jpg

"Administrators" appears on the list in the list of advanced security.

RobertOBollinger, Mar 27, 2020
  3. Vesao Win User
    Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Mar 27, 2020
  4. deving Win User

Cannot remove a user from my system

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Mar 27, 2020
Thema:

Cannot remove a user from my system

1. Cannot remove a user from my system - Similar Threads - Cannot remove user

2. Removing folder permissions from 'Authenticated Users' and/or 'SYSTEM'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing folder permissions from 'Authenticated Users' and/or 'SYSTEM': Hi,I am using Windows 10 Professional. While logged in as myself account name 'PWK' and member of the 'Administrators' group, I created a folder at the root of my hard drive called C:\MySecureFolderI would like to secure this folder as much as I possibly can so that only the...
  3. Removing folder permissions from 'Authenticated Users' and/or 'SYSTEM'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing folder permissions from 'Authenticated Users' and/or 'SYSTEM': Hi,I am using Windows 10 Professional. While logged in as myself account name 'PWK' and member of the 'Administrators' group, I created a folder at the root of my hard drive called C:\MySecureFolderI would like to secure this folder as much as I possibly can so that only the...
  4. Removing folder permissions from 'Authenticated Users' and/or 'SYSTEM'

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. i cannot remove system from my desktop screen

i cannot remove system from my desktop screen: hello, ive recently moved the windows > system file on my desktop screen. i want to remove it from my desktop no sucess. can you please help me...
  6. i cannot remove system from my desktop screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i cannot remove system from my desktop screen: hello, ive recently moved the windows > system file on my desktop screen. i want to remove it from my desktop no sucess. can you please help me...
  7. Cannot Remove Folder Of Deleted User

Cannot Remove Folder Of Deleted User: Hello,I deleted an account on my laptop using the Control Panel but the user's folder under C://Users still remains. I was able to delete all the folder's contents with the exception of a few hidden files. A different error pops up every time I try to delete the entire folder...
  8. Removing my user from another PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Removing my user from another PC: Hello I wanted to share a folder on my hard drive from my PC, and I logged on with my credentials from the other PC in the network. Now the other PC can acces my files on my HDD, connect to me via Remote Desktop, and I dont want this The question is: How can I remove my...
  9. Duplicate users. Cannot remove

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Duplicate users. Cannot remove: I seem to have two accounts set up and can only access one, and cannot remove the other even though both are administrators. I've tried running "netplwiz" to remove the user. I've tried unchecking the "require sign-in" box. When i first had my PC, i disabled auto...
  10. cannot remove a child user from a family account on laptop

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    cannot remove a child user from a family account on laptop: hi guys, somehow I was able to geniusly enter 1/1/2019 in for the date of birth when first booting this machine when I bought it this morning. so what that's resulted in is Microsoft virtually locking me out of everything cuz it believes I'm a child and I have a child...